Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old cliche of pulling an AK from the mud and it will still shoot almost rings true with this story...

Back in 2015, when the Blanco river flooded Wimberley Texas, my 86 yr old uncle and aunt, who lived on the river there, lost their home. They'd spent decades developing a beautiful riverfront property. Then the 2015 flood came and washed their house and everything else on their land down river. In the aftermath and clean up phase, when people were finally allowed back into the area, family from across the State drove in to help dig thru the debris and mud, and walk the river banks searching for anything salvageable. It was a couple of weeks after the flood when my uncle, who had moved himself and our aunt into an apartment with literally the clothes on their backs, mentioned that he had a 'safe room' behind his master bedroom closet at the old house, where he kept all his guns. Well, the structure above the safe room was now gone and the area where it stood had a couple of feet of thick mud over it. Since none of them were recovered along the river banks, my son & his two cousins offered to go back to the home site and dig for the guns so they headed over there with some shovels and went to work, eventually locating the area near the old safe room, and managed to dig up most of the collection of several rifles and pistols. The guns were all packed with mud from what amounted to a reverse extrusion of sorts, along with settling of the mud, and after being buried for a couple of weeks, were already starting to suffer from the exposure to the moisture and elements. They took them all to another location to begin the process of cleaning them up, starting with a good water hosing. When my uncle saw what they had recovered he told each of them to choose one to keep as a thank you for their recovery efforts. My son chose an old Norinco AK.

I wish I had photos of that rifle to show how damaged it was. My son was almost ready to call it a total loss but he took the time to take the rifle completely apart, down to the smallest detail, clean every part of the rifle, and carefully reassemble with lots of TLC, some steel wool where needed, and a liberal oiling. He put it in his gun safe where it has held a special place of distinction ever since. I hadn't had a chance to see the rifle since it was recovered until just a few weeks ago. There are external signs of it's experience and I have no idea how the internal parts look, but overall it looks like an old gun that's seen lots of 'action'.

Last month, we had an afternoon planned to spend time together at the range near his house, which turned out to be a 25 yard indoor combination rifle/pistol range with no bench. All shooters fire from a standing position. He brought the AK.
We put about 150 rounds thru the rifle and it not only functioned flawlessly, without a single failure or malfunction of any type, but with iron sights, in the hands of my 38 yr old son, was consistently grouping 3/4" on the 25 yard targets. He's got a very special rifle that has quite a history, along with some wonderful sentimental value of being his great Uncle's old rifle that survived the flood of 2015.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I love to read stories where someone literally rescues a gun from such a disaster and nearly restores it, then it works as it should new. Great news and you have quite a son there.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Any idea what AK?

The good ones ( Ie imports and a few parts ones ) will last till the end ..Over on the AK files there is one that was melted in a fire the stock etc all burned off the ammo blew apart the mag ..The gun was fire damged to nothing ..But she still worked ...Safe probl not but the fact that is still fired after taht ....

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Great story! Hope he write a few notes and attaches or makes a note book of the events of the rifle to share in the future.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea what AK?

The good ones ( Ie imports and a few parts ones ) will last till the end ..Over on the AK files there is one that was melted in a fire the stock etc all burned off the ammo blew apart the mag ..The gun was fire damged to nothing ..But she still worked ...Safe probl not but the fact that is still fired after taht ....
I'm not sure which specific AK but it was one of the post ban models with the awkward thumb hole stock. He ended up replacing the stocks with a Magpul fore grip and a Draganov style grip/butt stock. Unfortunately he didn't take any photos of the restoration process. One day he'll pass that rifle and it's backstory on to his son. But I hope he doesn't steal my 'thunder'... I've been saving an unfired Polytech Legend for that little guy...my grandson!

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
I'm not sure which specific AK but it was one of the post ban models with the awkward thumb hole stock. He ended up replacing the stocks with a Magpul fore grip and a Draganov style grip/butt stock. Unfortunately he didn't take any photos of the restoration process. One day he'll pass that rifle and it's backstory on to his son. But I hope he doesn't steal my 'thunder'... I've been saving an unfired Polytech Legend for that little guy...my grandson!
Nice on the Legand that is a nice gun

10-1 it was a MAK90 or the like ...They are very over built guns I would guess if a gun could live up to it would be that

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Sounds like a post ban MAK-90. Most likely a stamped receiver. They are almost indestructible.
Ditto on the Legend! Would make a memorable gift.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
That's a good read. If I were to expand my "micro" armory of one rifle, a 73 year old M1 Inland carbine, the one of two I would consider it would be an AK.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a post ban MAK-90. Most likely a stamped receiver. They are almost indestructible.
Ditto on the Legend! Would make a memorable gift.
Yes that's it. I recall my son calling it that...didn't register with my brain though since I've never owned one.
My AK 'shooter' is an old first gen Clayco import underfolder with black synthetic stocks that I bought back around '83-84.
The MAK-90 is so much better with the stocks changed out. I was surprised with it's weight...seemed to be quite heavier than I would have expected. But the thing is scary accurate.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Yes that's it. I recall my son calling it that...didn't register with my brain though since I've never owned one.
My AK 'shooter' is an old first gen Clayco import underfolder with black synthetic stocks that I bought back around '83-84.
The MAK-90 is so much better with the stocks changed out. I was surprised with it's weight...seemed to be quite heavier than I would have expected. But the thing is scary accurate.
Happy to see another AK man on the files

Clayco is a good to go gun ..You should see how much they go for now ..Clayco and GSAD tend to go for 2-3k now a days esp for under folders ... There really was not a gen thing with them though no First or second ..How I understand it if you order enough of them the factory would make them how you want ..Why there so many odd and rare set ups of the AK ..Ie KFS imported unique ones in tearms of firing pins and bolts ..Other just imported normal ones

Thus you will see some odd imports I have even seen a few TX imports ..

I like the old GSAD AK and Clayco different then the normal one ..Bit more history to them I know the GSAD which I think turn into the Clayco are made by the Serct police arms work in China ..Might be off on the Clayco on that ...

And the MAK90 are very good guns bear in mind they are just Type 56s rifle that got caught in import ban ..So you will find a number still with spiker lugs and with UF stock holes ..As I say China AK and SKS are very cool to collect and import

And last fun fact the GSAD and Clayco imports are some of the very few China AK that are CA legal most were not marked AK47 or the like thus not banned by name and legal as long as a grip wrap is used ... Thus they can go for a lot if a CA person wants it

MAK90 are a whole other weird thing though ...

From the weight I am going to guess maybe it is a milled gun they are much heaver and can be more accuart then normal stamped guns due to heavier lower ..And they can be x39 or 556

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks WrongRecroom
I had no idea they had climbed so much in value. When I bought mine the import AKs were just coming into the US and it was the only one my local FFL guy could find. Soon followed by the Maadi AKs which were very expensive at the time. I think I bought that Clayco import for $400 or so back then

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Thanks WrongRecroom
I had no idea they had climbed so much in value. When I bought mine the import AKs were just coming into the US and it was the only one my local FFL guy could fine. Soon followed by the Maadi AKs which were very expensive at the time. I think I bought that Clayco import for $400 or so back then
And the funny part is that Maddi which is insanse now in price they start at 3k and go up from there .... Some of the rarer AK ..THat is only if they are Styer imported

And yeah 400 bucks for the Claco is a good deal

Funny back then the China AK were thought of like the WSAR10 of today cheep and not worth much ..The FEG and such were like more ...Funny as now the China guns are worth and though of as so much

And yeah happy to share the info ...

You got in at the good time ..You still have any of that cheep china x39 ammo from back then when it was like 100 or less a case not 200-300 like now lol

Same for mags China drums mags start at 100 bucks and hit 300 or more for the larger size ones and the AR ones ..And the AK mags same thing some like the 20 rounders and the chromed ones hit 100 -200 easy

Funny how one little import ban does it

Enjoy it man you got a good gun at a good time

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the funny part is that Maddi which is insanse now in price they start at 3k and go up from there .... Some of the rarer AK ..THat is only if they are Styer imported

And yeah 400 bucks for the Claco is a good deal

Funny back then the China AK were thought of like the WSAR10 of today cheep and not worth much ..The FEG and such were like more ...Funny as now the China guns are worth and though of as so much

And yeah happy to share the info ...

You got in at the good time ..You still have any of that cheep china x39 ammo from back then when it was like 100 or less a case not 200-300 like now lol

Same for mags China drums mags start at 100 bucks and hit 300 or more for the larger size ones and the AR ones ..And the AK mags same thing some like the 20 rounders and the chromed ones hit 100 -200 easy

Funny how one little import ban does it

Enjoy it man you got a good gun at a good time

yep, I bought a couple of 100 rnd drums w/pouches, a couple dozen 30 rnd mags, mag pouches, and a few cases of x39...
that was my SHTF prep...lol. those drum mags were pretty cheap, like around $50 bucks or so.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
yep, I bought a couple of 100 rnd drums w/pouches, a couple dozen 30 rnd mags, mag pouches, and a few cases of x39...
that was my SHTF prep...lol. those drum mags were pretty cheap, like around $50 bucks or so.
You know that makes me sick right :rolleyes:

Good job man you are ready to go ..

That china AK ammo is great stuff and some of it is steel cored which is nice ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts