Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It sold for $860,000. No gently used Chicago Typewriters were for sale at the auction, but there was a nice Colt:

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Bad link, but Browning's personal 1911 wouldn't worth that much to me. Really . . . They make new ones every day.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Bad link, but Browning's personal 1911 wouldn't worth that much to me. Really . . . They make new ones every day.
Hard core collectors think differently than defense gun owners. My Dad had a huge collection, but at most only shot once or twice a year during hunting seasons. Most of his many guns were overpriced and unfired.

I have known guitar collectors who can't even play.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Sister and oneshot

·
Registered
45,327 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
It sold for $860,000. No gently used Chicago Typewriters were for sale at the auction, but there was a nice Colt:

The “Roaring Twenties” hold exactly ZERO ALLURE for me. I’d put much more interest into a Garand or 1911 from any theater in WW2 that had a verifying provenance. Used to defend the country is much more valuable than used in a criminal enterprise!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The “Roaring Twenties” hold exactly ZERO ALLURE for me. I’d put much more interest into a Garand or 1911 from any theater in WW2 that had a verifying provenance. Used to defend the country is much more valuable than used in a criminal enterprise!
I just posted it as an FYI. There are many guns of historical significance that I would rather have. But to me, their are much more practical and charitable uses for money.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
All jokin' aside...that'd be a great savings account if production/supply on liquour gets like ammo!!!!
Kind of small for a savings account.
Mass production Wood Brick Travel Symmetry

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
You do know that the OSS worked very closely with La Cosa Nostra during WWII.

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
You do know that the OSS worked very closely with La Cosa Nostra during WWII.
Yeah, and so did the FBI to keep Nazi spies and saboteurs off US docks. I don’t care. In both cases they did so to feather their own nests. They got something out of those deals. It definitely was not patriotic impulses.

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
All jokin' aside...that'd be a great savings account if production/supply on liquour gets like ammo!!!!
Not in the South. We make our own. Of everything. I just dropped my lifelong favorite beer (Heineken) in favor of a Nashville brewed craft IPA called Bearded Iris Homestyle.

·
Administrator
144,855 Posts
I never thought the diagonal diamond checkering ever looked that great on a Colt front strap.
Nice engraving.
Rear sight could have been accomplished with a bit more gunsmithing professionalism.
Even though that is an adjustable "target" rear, it could have been mounted flush. And that would have allowed a lower front.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I’d love to have it. Yeah, way too much money but if you had money like famous folks, then why not. As long as you give to the needy, if you are so dang rich you have extra, go for it it’s a great piece of history IMO. Beautiful gun.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

Just like everything else in our capitalist society: a market is a market when two people agree on the price of a product or service. I agree with you, there's not one out there that would even come close to that value for me. But somebody wanted it badly enough.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It might have started as Capone’s gun, but after all the upgrades and changes made by his son, I see it as a family heirloom and not a historical firearm. However, that is a personal opinion. Obviously, there were people that disagree with me.😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts