Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a IWB for my S&W Shield. 1st holster. Want adjustable Cant and height, prefer padding on inside next to me. Don't want cheap but considering I will probably do like y'all and buy 10 or more, don't want to start out breaking the bank.

AlienGear - 3.0 Pros: Well known, inexpensive. ($43) Fits well for some (others not), lots of technology for better fit. Some say the backing is different sizes, others say it is the same for any gun. Cons: Not a Kydex material but Boltaron (never heard of it), no leather but instead a polymer (flexible plastic) backing with a steel layer and something on the back to absorb/repel moisture.

Cross Breed - Super Deluxe Tuck or Mini Tuck (Don't know which way to go) - Pros: Well known name. Cons: Doesn't have the technology of AG and is a little pricy. ($69 - 67) Leather backing with the issues of leather.

TW Holster MAXX 2 - Pros: Leather, if option selected for cuts it can be worn IWB OR OWB!!. Price is about the same as AG.($45) Cons: Leather backing with the issues of leather, lacks technology of AG and others.
SHOP - TW Holsters LLC.

Black Arch DUAL CLIP IWB PROTOS-M (OPTIONAL BREATHABLE BACKER) - Pros: Optional padded backing, looks comfortable and absorbs moisture. Cons: With different color to replace std blue material and Dri Material on back, price goes to $83.90 // (Back padding looks similar to Stealthgear Ventcore)

StealthGear Revolution Mini - Pros: Great reviews. Cons: A little pricy $69, no technology. Backing is one piece of flexible rubber (ACX-57 ) with lots of holes in it. Will it hold up or tear? What will it feel like pressed against me in NC (Hot and humid)

I am tempted to just say to heck with it and get an AG but it seems to be a lot of "I never heard of materials and not like any of the others".

Just ordered two Kore belts, one black and one brown with different buckles.

Reactions: patrol

·
Registered
269 Posts
StealthGear Ventcore Mini. simply the best :)
stop worrying about price.....add up how many holsters people buy that just don't cut it and it easily surpasses
the price of one StealthGear (believe me I know)
Milt sparks makes very nice IWB holsters as well if you aren't sold on Kydex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I chose AG IWB for my 1911 Officers Compact. I had a Blade tech IWB and I like the AG much better.
Just my $.02.
Sincerely, Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the interest of adjustability - The Alien Gear only has 3 holes for clip adjustment, Crossbreed offers 4 if I remember right, TW Holsters is 6, Blach Arch looks to be 3, Stealth Gear is 3 but has extra holes in the clips giving you 6.
My Alien Gear's plastic clips grew weak over time and need loc-rite to stay attached, don't have much confidence in those anymore and will likely replace them with loops or metal if I keep the holster at all. My TW's metal clips and hardware are still tight & snug after 4 years of use, no experience in the other maker's clips.
Alien Gear does have different sized backings, if moving to a larger pistol this can present an issue. They also have a wide kydex footprint for the sake of shell exchangeability, the extra bulk is not a feature I favor.
I've grown fond of the vanilla leather-backed design, kind of grows into you over time. Tried a few "latest and greatest" and keep dropping them. Your mileage may vary, but find what works and run the crap out of it.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
You could also check out Kinetic Concealment. It has a neoprene backing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
You are carrying a small gun. It doesn't need a lot of support. I don't like the big, padded, synthetic backings. Neoprene holster? (ick)

Where/how will you carry your Shield?
What gun have you carried in the past, and how have you carried it?

I carry a PPS (nearly identical size) in a single clip Kydex holster. It has plenty of support, and is secure.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
Ive only used the crossbreed and AG, so Ill weigh in on those two.

I think the pros for the AG are spot on, but I dont think the cons are really cons. Having used my AG, and other kydex holsters, I dont notice a differnce in the durability of the different types of material.I think they just found a cheaper way to make the same quality holster.

Crossbreeds name is whats keeping them afloat in my opinion. Several years ago they were THE hybrid holster. Nowadays there are so many companies making similar, even better holsters, at similar prices, sometimes better prices, I have no reason to buy from them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My brother in law loves his alien gear, another member i talk to on here loves his stealthgear... i cary appendix, otherwise id try out both!

With any of them, your shield will disappear into your waistline.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curious why SG revolution over the ventcore?
Mainly price.

StealthGear Ventcore Mini. simply the best :)
stop worrying about price.....add up how many holsters people buy that just don't cut it and it easily surpasses
the price of one StealthGear (believe me I know)
Yeah I know. But a $99 to start when I will probably buy more in search for the "perfect holster". But yes you are right. Cheap initially isn't inexpensive in the long run.

In the interest of adjustability - The Alien Gear only has 3 holes for clip adjustment, Crossbreed offers 4 if I remember right, TW Holsters is 6, Blach Arch looks to be 3, Stealth Gear is 3 but has extra holes in the clips giving you 6.
My Alien Gear's plastic clips grew weak over time and need loc-rite to stay attached, don't have much confidence in those anymore and will likely replace them with loops or metal if I keep the holster at all. My TW's metal clips and hardware are still tight & snug after 4 years of use, no experience in the other maker's clips.
Yeah, I keep hearing about things coming loose on AG and wonder why them so ofter. Also I wish they didn't use those green gaskets. I know nobody will see them but still.

The TW really has an underdog appeal. I can use it IWB and OWB.

Maybe I will just build my own line of "Perfect Holsters" Built like the Ventcore but with the cuts like TW so allow IWB and OWB and price it at $50. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are carrying a small gun. It doesn't need a lot of support. I don't like the big, padded, synthetic backings. Neoprene holster? (ick)

Where/how will you carry your Shield?
What gun have you carried in the past, and how have you carried it?

I carry a PPS (nearly identical size) in a single clip Kydex holster. It has plenty of support, and is secure.
This is my first holster (not counting the pocket holster I use to protect it for the time being.)
I will most likely carry it at the 4o'clock position except when in my car where I will put in the the lower cubby of the driver's door. (Honda CR-V. Safe, won't fall out, easy access).
Never carried one.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ive heard the SG revolution is not as comfortable as the ventcore is. I've heard from owners and even two different people from SG when I did the live chat with them addmitted themselves that the revolution just doesn't have the level of comfort that the ventcore does. I'll be able to give an actual review in a few weeks as I ordered a SG Ventcore for a Glock 23 and I ordered a Black Arch Proto with the breathable backer for a Glock 27 and a Glock 43.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Stealth gear runs weekend specials quite often as well, usually 20% off , that's when I try to grab one if I need one.
$79.00 is easier to swallow than $99.0 is for sure.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
@Sportymonk , you should try a kydex single clip holsters. There a e many in the $40-50 range. Depending on your body ty pe, it can be very secure and more concealable than larger rigs. I like the larger holsters better for distributing the weight and size of larger guns.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
@Sportymonk , you should try a kydex single clip holsters. There a e many in the $40-50 range. Depending on your body ty pe, it can be very secure and more concealable than larger rigs. I like the larger holsters better for distributing the weight and size of larger guns.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I've had great success carrying an XDS this way (on a quality 1.5 in. gun belt) and you can't beat the price.

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/collections/top-sellers/products/smith-wesson-mpshield-holster?variant=34308580099

Very little goes inside your waistband except the gun itself.

Also, you can easily install/remove the entire package while seated in a vehicle, in complete safety.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a Crossbreed. The first holster I bought and it functions well. I just bought a AIWB from them on sale since I have found I don't like to fight with two clips. I'm sure other combo leather/kydex holsters are equally good and may be cheaper, as has been stated. I don't see the Crossbreed I bought ever wearing out so I don't have a big vault of holsters to make comparisons from. They do go on sale quite a bit so that would be a way to avoid the expense criticism. I also bought an all Kydex holster from one of our site sponsors and I find the Crossbreed to hold the firearm closer to my body and more comfortable.

I was a motorcycle guy for many years. Motorcycle forums always had countless "What oil should I use" threads. Of course, the answer is that all modern oils with the right additives work equally well. People who have used a certain type of oil advocate for that brand over all others anyhow. I think holster purchases might be the same. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket since I read all the holster topics too. I'm just saying that in reality I'm guessing most holsters with the same configuration will all function well and about the same.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, on color, an IWB should not normally show BUT sometimes it may peak through. I was looking at a video of Rawdog Hybrid Holster - The Defender Pro Series by Raw Dog Tactical and their is a video of the red-head lady with a zombie green holster that shows a little. I was thinking (uh-oh) where many go black on black. would the desert tan color that many offer blend just a little better against skin and thus make it a little less concealable if it momentarily showed?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts