Defensive Carry banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know this one is just for CA people but here goes...
It is safe to open winery's and their restaurants in Napa Valley! Close to Liberal San Francisco and where the Governor owns a winery. But way to risky to open the same in conservative Central Valley towns!

I'm not sure where the facts are but this one just stinks! DR

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
@dangerranger that's the same illogical approach to allowing big box stores to be open, but not smaller mom and pop ones. If it wasn't for double standards, the democrats (and many other career politicians) would have no standards at all. Hypocrisy fuels there existence.

Wisconsin has, ironically, had less of that BS with our lame duck governor. We have plenty of lunacy, but in other ways.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
In my state and many other lib states they are letting out prisoners for fear that they will catch Covid, But putting business owners in jail if they open without permission.
The gov here in this county TRIED to do that, she did get a few dangerous one’s out but the police dept put a stop to it pretty quick thank goodness!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went online to order one of those "My governor is an idiot" masks but due to the volume of orders it wouldn't ship for a couple weeks, so I didn't order one.

What I learned was that perhaps I'm not the only one who feels that way.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It is perfectly safe to eat in a restaurant at 50% capacity but a bar at 50% capacity is way to dangerous.
It is perfectly safe to eat in a confined space like a restaurant at 50% capacity but camping is way to dangerous.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The scary part is we know very little about it and know even less when it comes to who we trust
Who we trust meaning....The ones feeding us the info and advice.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The virus does not like state parks.

My daughter and a friend went to Grayson Lake today to get some sun and wade in the water.

The Park Ranger told them the park was closed and they had to leave.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oh, package inserts for surgical masks specifically tell the wearer that they are not meant to nor can they stop a virus.
Except most of the time viruses are not floating naked in the air. They are aerosolized on small water droplets. The reason we don't wear N95s in hospital rooms with flu patients is for that exact reason. Healthy skepticism is fine, but let's keep to the facts.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wearing masks help a lot to stop the spread the virus but the virus would not go away if everybody wore a mask for 24/7 for 3 weeks....
I'm full of healthy skepticism for authority, but that red herring is ridiculous. If my chances of passing a virus are reduced by just 50% when wearing a mask, and your chances of catching it are reduced by 50% by you wearing a mask, and they're reduced by just 50% because we're slightly further away from each other, suddenly the chances of another patient with a virus have dropped by 88.5%. That's what happens when effects of actions are cumulative.

Can we stop with the absolutes please. If it's a choice between either everyone being forced to stay at home 24/7, or everyone back to 200-person subway cars and concert mosh pits, then we're all in trouble. Maybe we can come up with some medium while we figure out how to fight and prevent this thing, instead of just being satisfied with exercising sick Twitter burn powers.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Man, when did people start carpeting their ceilings? I mean, I had carpeting almost everywhere in my house when I bought it, but thankfully not on the ceiling... How would you vacuum it?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'm full of healthy skepticism for authority, but that red herring is ridiculous. If my chances of passing a virus are reduced by just 50% when wearing a mask, and your chances of catching it are reduced by 50% by you wearing a mask, and they're reduced by just 50% because we're slightly further away from each other, suddenly the chances of another patient with a virus have dropped by 88.5%. That's what happens when effects of actions are cumulative.

Can we stop with the absolutes please. If it's a choice between either everyone being forced to stay at home 24/7, or everyone back to 200-person subway cars and concert mosh pits, then we're all in trouble. Maybe we can come up with some medium while we figure out how to fight and prevent this thing, instead of just being satisfied with exercising sick Twitter burn powers.
There are several studies that show that most of the masks being worn does absolutely nothing to stop the spread of the virus so your made up number is completely useless.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If this story is accurate, this is bad news on this coronavirus which apparently evades the immune system in a manner consistent with HIV:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/coronavirus-uses-same-strategy-hiv-evade-immune-response-chinese-study-finds
Well, the one researcher that was looking at its DNA, the one that got murdered shortly after he reported his "odd" findings, said that it appeared that the virus had been manipulated and contained series of code from the HIV DNA. He further stated that this was only possible if the virus had been manipulated in a lab.

He's dead now.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If this story is accurate, this is bad news on this coronavirus which apparently evades the immune system in a manner consistent with HIV:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/coronavirus-uses-same-strategy-hiv-evade-immune-response-chinese-study-finds
The actual paper title may be true, but the wild claims the newspaper makes about "kiss vaccine goodbye" how it "hides like HIV" are patently false, and clearly the work of someone who either doesn't understand the biology or is trying to sow panic... probably both actually.

Let me explain. FYI - this is the subject of my PhD work.

I wouldn't be surprised if SARS-CoV2 had a protein dedicated to evasion of the immune system. Pretty much all successful viruses do. See NS1 for influenza, E3L for smallpox, etc, etc. But SARS-CoV2 is not HIV. It's not a retrovirus - it doesn't write its genetic material into the genome of the cell. Effective immune evasion at a cellular level during infection is also not important for vaccination. Case in point - E3L very effectively prevents upregulation of inflammatory signaling in smallpox infection. However, that didn't stop vaccinia from being basically a 100% effective vaccine for smallpox, because it generated a robust immune response that was not dependent on this particular function. Based on the way coronaviruses work, I am not worried about being able to develop an effective vaccine - it's a matter of time and money, but entirely possible and expected.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts