Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Mrs OldChap and I made a run to the local fried chicken eatery to pick up dinner. As usual the line of cars stretched like a long snake around the building - twice.

At the serving window side and front of the restaurant, where patrons exit in their cars from the serving windows, they had placed orange traffic cones to allow a hole in the line of cars waiting to allow those already served to exit. Leaving the hole open for cars to exit was necessary or no one was going anywhere.

So we are waiting patiently in line as the next vehicle to cross the exit hole and continue around to be served, when out of the line behind us comes a yayhoo (that's Texan for the south end of a northbound donkey) in a large 4 wheel drive pickup. He cut around three cars behind us, cut in front of us, and blocked the cars attempting to exit from the serving windows.

I thought..."wow, what a dirtbag" - I confess...I don't think those were my exact words! In any event, here comes a guy out of his car waiting to get out with his food and wife and kids. The dirtbag rolled down his window as the guy, who couldn't have weighed more than 140 pounds soaking wet, nicely asked him to please move so people could exit and get the line moving again. After a few seconds, there came a barrage of profanity from the dirtbag that turned the air green around the area. Very threatening profanity.

Both Mrs OldChap and myself, and several others nearby, distinctly heard the dirtbag threaten to get out and "kill you mother something."

I immediately thought this may be headed south very quickly, and also asked myself why this had to happen when I was near enough, and properly equipped, to stop any nastiness. The guy who got out of the car remained cool, wished the dirtbag a nice day and returned to his car. The dirtbag backed up, looked out the window at Mrs OldChap and I, and shouted more profanity - this time at us. I started wondering how well the 31 rounds of .357 Sig HST's in the Glock 22 were going to work on this idjit. I also prayed he would have a heart attack right then and there and save everybody a lot of trouble - especially me. I know, I feel bad about that particular petition! :embarassed:

In any event, the dirtbag roared off, almost hitting two cars in front of him and off into the parking lot of the HEB. I thanked the good Lord for His watchcare, asked His forgiveness for my thoughts, and we finally got our fried chicken. The manager told us he was glad he didn't have to go out and confront the dirtbag. I told him you have no idea how glad we were too.
:redface:
'Nuff excitement for one day!

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Good for your patience with that whatever he was he was not a true Texan.
I am getting too old and ornery to put up with jerks, afraid my mouth would have gotten me into trouble.
I have the right to remain silent, I just do not have the ability anymore.
I need to work on that.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Glad it all worked out, and he decided to leave. No one wants to have to use lethal force on someone because that person was being stupid and escalated it too far. Aside from having bad moral character, he probably took no time to consider that there may be those around him that are armed and could make his day miserable if he carried it too far.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
With so many crazy people populating crazy town now days I wonder if the old adage my dad taught me still applies?
He always told me most bullies are cowards and will back down when you confront them.
When I was a kid it seemed to be true except for a couple of times, but then afterwards they did not want to mess with me anymore.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Glad it didn't go south.

I would have been on the phone with 911 dispatch with a plate number, vehicle discription and perp discription about 15 secs after it started.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I grew up in an age where young men learned to control themselves (most all women grew up ladies, so no need for them). Sometimes those lessons came with a fair amount of pain.

As @KILTED COWBOY says, the older I get, the more difficult it is not be the one to administer those lessons.
@Fallsrider I suppose the amount of misery would be inversely proportional to the quality of my aim. :ticking:

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
A single .357 round is sufficiently capable of providing a lesson in manners. The lesson is terminal. Students typically take the down elevator.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I have been witness to at least a couple of altercations involving restaurants and vehicles...

The first was a road rage incident that occurred on the street and then moved into the business area- one person going to the Burger King where I was sitting in my car and the other person going to the Brakes Plus next door. I thought the guy next to me was going for a weapon in his truck, based on the verbal sparing between him and the other guy.

The second was at a popular rot-gut Mexican joint that has a poorly designed parking lot, where the cars waiting in the drive-up block people from backing-out of the parking spaces. As I was waiting for a hole to open-up, a confrontation initiated with a car in-line and and a car trying to leave, with quick verbal escalation.

In both scenarios, I got 911 on the phone as quick as possible, balancing plans for my hasty departure from the area versus being a good witness and keeping LEO apprised what was occurring. It definitely gets the old heart-rate up a bit.

Reactions: ctr and OldChap

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
glad it ended ok. I went to in n out recently and the line wrapped around the parking lot, then down the street. Unfortunately, there was a left turn from the street into the parking lot, which left a gap in the line. At one point, I watched a vehicle approach from the opposite direction of the line, and stop in that gap, cutting in front of probably more than 30 vehicles. This was frustrating to watch, but I was ahead of everything so it didnt affect my position in line. Glad that didnt escalate as much as your situation did though.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Local Chinese restaurant has had cars backed up out into the street at times during this garbage. Fortunately, the traffic has been light. They still don't have the lobby open, so now that everything is back close to normal, they still have quite a line. I can easily see trouble happening there. But if someone dies, the government can chalk it up to Corona. Sheesh, just take a lime wedge.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts