Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Paranoid? thread made me think that although I personally have never been in a real life bad situation, I've been at Condition Red several times.

See the numbers for successful usage of a handgun are so skewed because more often than not, using the handgun means nothing happened. I've been in a situation like that myself.

I think I've told my little tales at least once on this forum so I'll hold off. However, I'm curious to see how many people here are like me: You've never actually had to defend yourself but you've been so close it was scary.

Let's hear your accounts.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Actually I have had to defend myself. Before the CCW laws changed I was attacked in a parking lot. Luckily , I got out with only a black eye and a few bruises. Fast feet and use dodging parked cars helped me escape. It ws close though. Haven't had many problems since I got my CCW.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The closest I have gotten was to move my gun to my coat pocket, have my hand on the gun ready to draw. My avoidance skills kicked in and kept me from getting into trouble thank goodness.

·
Registered
868 Posts
A few years back I handled computer/communications accounts in the Wash DC area. When a problem was reported and required downdown I usually got scheduled to work somewhere between the dayshift or into the night until the following morning. I walked many a garage parking area and streets in DC, you could hear the click of car doors opening as they seen you coming and the signs on the DOJ door to go sit in your car and lock the doors because the guard was on his rounds. Never got held up, bashed in the head or suffered any physical danger in my years wondering around DC at night. I guess in a round about way I am explaining that it was as bad then as it is now. I was lucky or something but my focus was always on the job at hand, I never thought much about the danger part.
A black friend I worked with(Jim) often told me, carry money they will get really po'd if they hold you up and you don't give them something. Two large guys walked up to Jim one day, one on either side and simply removed the nice winter coat he was wearing, stuff happens and there is no condition color associated with it at times. :smile:
No, never had to really defend myself as some have on the forum.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll tell the short version of this story.

November 2004 I was driving from Austin Texas to San Angelo. Going north on I 35 between Austin and Round Rock the highway is divided by a lane with a concrete barrier going down the middle of it.

It was Austin rush hour and traffic was gridlocked. No one was going anywhere. I was in the far left lane, the one next to the barrier.

Suddenly walking towards me was either a white or hispanic man, not sure, skinny fellow that he was. He had hopped over the barrier.

He went up to a car and tried to open the driver's side door. My first thought was, is that his car? Did he get out to go see what was causing the traffic jam maybe? Or is he in trouble?

But when that door didn't open, he went to the next car, closer to me. And the next car...

The woman in front of me scooted over into her passenger seat and made a cell phone call. I assume it was the authorities.

He got to her door pretty soon and wiggled that handle something fierce. He slapped her window and was clearly not happy he couldn't get into her car.

I had my 686 in a camera bag in the other seat. By this point, I had removed it and had it sitting on my lap with my hand on the grip.

He came up to my truck. I looked him in the eye. He broke eye contact with me and looked at the gun in my lap, then looked at me again. He didn't dare touch my door. It seemed like we stared at each other for minutes.

He hopped the barrier and started running south going with the flow of traffic on the other side. Momentarily a police car came along at Code 3 going his direction. I'd like to think they were looking for him.

Me? My CCW process hadn't started yet, and Texas laws on firearms in vehicles were murky and unclear. I put the revolver back, figured it had already been reported, realized that nothing actually happened, and went on. Nothing good would have come of me trying to report it as he didn't even touch my vehicle.

I honestly don't know what that guy hoped to accomplish, but I am very glad I did not find out. He looked desperate by the time he got to me.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Just the one that I remember this minute -

In a large mall, maybe coupla years ago, having stopped to get some food before going on my way. Not that late in the day but very few folks around. In the huge food hall I doubt three tables were occupied - one was mine. I had already registed in a scan two guys who made me a tad uneasy - loafing around and seeming outa place, and initially some ways off from the food hall.

I took my customary peripheral seat, to enable a good view of most areas but - as I ate, the larger of the two walked over to the counter where I'd got my food - which happened to be behind me! This made me uneasy and so as I ate I scanned around, stretching peripheral field to include my 6.

He was there way too long and altho he chatted (it seemed) with counter clerk, he was not ordering. As he then walked a bit to either way, still very much at my back, I made my initially discrete head movements a little less discrete - maybe to show that I was seeing things. He was at times uncomfortably close.

By the time he did actually move on and into easy sight - I had my right hand on gun in sho rig - I was that ill at ease - continuing to eat with my left. Whether that even showed up as anything like a signal to him I don't know - it was discrete also.

Whatever, I finished up and left - but as I walked away I looked over to the two of them, then sitting not far off - he looked at me also and eyes met - his quickly dropped as if he felt awkward.

I have no idea if I was under any threat at all - but my spidey sense kicked in and I was orange the whole time eating. I could have moved but that seemed like paranoia then!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Judicious display at the right times in a gun shop environment is often all it takes to deter those with less than savory intents from trying anything. I've been known to 'inspect' the round in the chamber in the 20 gauge under the counter by ejecting it from the chamber (and replacing it with another one) in the process of 'dusting' or 'cleaning' in a non-threatening manner.

Now if it deters some lowlife from pulling their hand from under their jacket in 90 degree heat, well....

...I get that benefit and I've dusted the shotgun. ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A couple of instances in high school and college of being attacked by someone larger and stronger than I convinced me to take up martial arts. In both cases other people were there and stood by doing nothing until after the fact. After I started taking martial arts, I never had a problem with anyone (besides an obnoxious college roommate who almost got himself thrown out a 4th floor window). After a few years in martial arts, although I was good, I realized that there would always be someone bigger, faster or better than I was, so I started carrying a serious knife and OC spray. A few years back I got my CCW in AZ as a lark more than anything else, as I lived in IL. Now that I live in FL, I have a CCW and carry. I am of the of the philosophy that if I pull my gun out in public, it will be because I am in fear for my life or the life a someone I value.

I think predators see you alert and sizing THEM up and they find easier prey.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On a bright, suny weekday, at 1:10 p.m. (the reason I remember the time will become apparent . . .), I parked in the parking lot of an apartment complex in a rather "rough" part of town. I was a former LEO, and quite familiar with the are, but it was, after all, middle of the day, and all that. I was there to conduct an interview of an insurance claimant.

As I sorted through my paperwork, before exiting my vehicle, I noted a Ford Pinto (remember those ??) with three male occupants, passing behind my car; in my rearview mirror, I saw all three staring at me. Not good.

This was in the bad ol' days, before, SC had shall-issue CCW; only the politically-connected could obtain a CWP in that era. On the other hand, SC law permitted "lowly civilians" to pack handguns in closed (not necessarily locked) gloveboxes & consoles.

It was in the fall, deer season was in, and I sometimes met with an uncle to check out his wooded property near my hometown. In the trunk of my car I carried boots, jacket, hat, and other "woods-trekkin' gear." In my glovebox, I carried a single-action .44 magnum revolver (did I mention it was deer season?).

When I became aware of the interest of my parking lot companions, I surreptitiously opened the glovebox and placed the revolver between my briefcase (on the seat beside me) and my right leg; out of sight, but ready at hand. Sure enough, two of the guys approached, one on either side of my vehicle. My passenger side door was locked, but not my door. Both guys smiled brightly. The one on my side asked me for the time (believe it or not!). Instead of looking down, I raised my left arm, glanced at my wristwatch, and said "It's 1:10 . . .," and he snatched my door open! I swung the muzzle of the revolver in line with his torso, and thumbed back the hammer. Before I could shoot, I realized I had no target! In fact, I was all alone! I tracked him with my eyes as he and his partner (who had also apparently seen that BIG handgun) dove into the Pinto.

Now, I swear I thought I heard the Pinto's tires squeal as the driver accelerated. However, I'm not sure a Pinto was capable of that feat; coulda been the two wannabe muggers.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
This happened in my country of origing way south of the border. I was at my parent's house when I heard a big time conmmotion outside. A recently moved to the neighborhood guy was on the street brandishing a scoped 22 rifle and screaming incoherently and sweeping the whole neighborhood. I was carrying a Walther PPK but I decided to grab some POS single shot italian shotgun my Dad had. I went up to a porch area that my folks built above the garage and looked at the street. The guy was still there and still carrying on threatening to shoot people. He must have been drunk or high, I don't know. I aimed at him and had decided that, if he shot towards my parent's house, he was going to recieve a slug in exchange. Less than a minute later, the wife of this guy came out and started to shout to her hubby to get her butt back inside before he got shot. The guy turned around and saw the wife pointing at my direction. When he saw the shotgun, he went very pale, lowered his rifle and went inside his house. I returned downstairs and I think I smoked some 10 cigarrettes in a row but relieved that I did not have to open fire on the A-hole.

·
Registered
100 Posts
At least 3 times over the years, that I can think of off hand, having a handgun handy has saved me from a possibe violent encounter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Probably told this story before (it's my only good one! :biggrin: )

My wife, daughter and I were out late one night at a friends house and we were on our way home. My little girl had fallen asleep in our rig and I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. My wife went in, I watched her the whole way, and me and the kid stay in our Explorer.
After a few minutes I noticed a WMA materialize out in front of the store. He sees me parked and starts to head over. It's ~0100 and there's no reason for this jerkoff to be approaching me and my girl. I pull my Ruger P94 from the 4:00 position and hold it on my lap. Now I know that with the height of my rig that this WMA does not see my weapon, but he did see my movement. I don't know if he realized it or not that I had a weapon, but he did an about-face and went back to his perch at the front of the store.

Smart kid. :cool:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Q-ball said:
Probably told this story before (it's my only good one! :biggrin: )

My wife, daughter and I were out late one night at a friends house and we were on our way home. My little girl had fallen asleep in our rig and I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. My wife went in, I watched her the whole way, and me and the kid stay in our Explorer.
After a few minutes I noticed a WMA materialize out in front of the store. He sees me parked and starts to head over. It's ~0100 and there's no reason for this jerkoff to be approaching me and my girl. I pull my Ruger P94 from the 4:00 position and hold it on my lap. Now I know that with the height of my rig that this WMA does not see my weapon, but he did see my movement. I don't know if he realized it or not that I had a weapon, but he did an about-face and went back to his perch at the front of the store.

Smart kid. :cool:
What caliber Ruger P94? I have one in .40 cal with Crimson Trace Grips. Great shooting gun...

·
Registered
208 Posts
ArmyCop, My P94 was in 9mm.

I traded it in and got a Glock 19. The Glock is easier to carry and as I became more comfortable with carrying all the time I wanted a pistol without an external safety to worry about.

But I really liked that Ruger...

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Believe it or not, I was an idealistic liberal, until I got mugged at gunpoint. Fortunately, my reality check came at an early age, in college. It was a classic, dark campus street, light snow falling, unawareness of targeting, the test (got a match?) the close, weapon presentation and demand for cash. As I fixated on the silver barrel pointing at my gut, I imagined what disruption a bullet could cause, how my girlfriend might miss me, and sure enough, it's true, your whole life flashes in front of you. That didn't take long. I hadn't done much up to then. If it happened today, I'd have to stall for time. Finally convinced a poor student wasn't going to be productive, he said "I guess this just isn't my night." and walked away into the snowfall, as if in slow motion. After I returned to the apartment, my GF told me she'd had an awfull feeling of terror a few minutes earlier. Makes you wonder.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
First time was in the mid 70s, I was in college in the limestone country of southern Indiana and we often went swimming in the quarries that dotted the area. Now remember this was the middle of the "hippie", free love, if it feels good do it age and just about everyone went skinny dipping, on the weekends there would be 100 people or more out swimming. It was a weekday and I was out for a swim before class and there were only a couple girls besides me that morning and we were on the same rock pile (the “rocks” are about 4 feet square and 10 feet long, scrap stone just left in big piles), they at the end close to the water and I was on the top near my favorite diving spot.

3 Hell’s Angles wana-bes from the local “biker gang” came along and started hassling the girls who were sunning on their stomachs, they started throwing rocks to make them get up to “see their titties”. The girls wrapped up in their towels and went out of sight behind some rocks, but the wana-bes couldn’t leave it alone, one said “Let’s just go down there and have some fun while we’re at it” and they started coming out on the rock pile. I said “We come out here to get away from people like you; why don’t you just get on your bikes, ride out of here and leave us alone”. The biggest bad ass of the bunch pulled out a stiletto with a blade about 8” long and said he was going to cut my nuts off and shove them down my throat, I said I had no intention of fighting him with that knife, he laughed, said that would make it all the easier and came towards me. At that point I reached behind me, pulled out a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, aimed it just below his belt buckle, thumbed the hammer back and asked just how easy he thought it was going to be. He literally pissed his pants, I told him he had 2 choices, throw the knife in the water and leave, or try to take one more step and I would gut shoot him just to watch him rolling around on the ground kicking and screaming till he died. He nearly threw that knife all the way across the quarry, turned around and all 3 ran out of sight.

I was young and still wanting to be a pilot in the Marine Corps (later took out my right knee with a dirt bike) and afraid a brush with the law could jeopardize my chances. Now, after having had 2 buddies murdered by scum suckers, and the distance was clearly less than 21 feet, I’d probably go ahead and smoke him.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well I have already posted one or two of mine, but here is a quick summary.

Unprovoked road rage incident, where the other vehicle was larger and faster than mine, attempted to bump me off the road. I was just a dumb kid at the time and had no weapons, but fortunately my Monza (hunk O turd) managed to barely hang onto a sharp curve that the old beater caddy could not. Even as an "invincible" teenager, I was well and truly shaken.

A year or so later, a guy in an old primered beater followed me home. At that time I was driving an antique pickup that looked pretty good and more than one person had stopped to ask if it was for sale. When I got out of the truck I expected him to ask if it was for sale. Instead he got out of the car with a baseball bat, took a couple of steps toward me. I grabbed a big chunk of wood off of the bed, that I used as a wheel chock, and was preparing to chuck it at him, when he stopped, cocked his head to one side, and then, actually apologized. It seems I wasn't who he thought I was. He turned around and got back in the beater and left. The only plan I could come up with at the time was to toss the chock at him and dive into the truck, it was big and slow, but it was so heavy, hand had monstrous pipe bumpers on it, he would have been hard pressed to run it off the road. LOL

Aside from that, there have been a few potential situations that would most likely bore you guys, but one of the more recent ones bears mentioning.

It was near midnight, on a Friday and I was on call. I got unlucky enough to get a page to go work on a piece of equipment near the front entrance of a major dept store, which required my customer (the store) to block off one of the electric doors. They locked them and put bright neon colored "out of order, please use other door" signs all over the outside of them. They also propped open the other set of doors 5 feet away from the ones I was working behind.

I was on my ladder, elbow deep in the machine I was working on, when I hear a loud "THWUMP!" and then muffled cursing. I looked down to see some guy who had just bounced off the closed doors, shoving on them and uttering a stream of curses. After a few moments, he walked over to the open set of doors and came in, he promptly crossed back over to my side, of the lobby(stepping over my caution tape on the way) and proceeded to yell at me for closing the door and not putting up a sign. I calmly explained that the store had shut them, and I was just there to work on the machine I had apart. He then started in about how he ought to sue both me and the store, because he had hurt his nose (where is the :rolleyes: graemlin when you need it?) and that there most definitely no signs on the door. I probably shouldn’t have, but I pointed out the signs on the door, and the guy then announced to the world that he hated smart ^$%s like me, and he was going to knock me off my ladder and teach me a lesson. By now, my hand was on the grip of my weapon, and I was trying to think of a way to de-escalate the situation. Fortunately the guy's wife/girlfriend/whatever, and another guy show up just in time to hear the last of what he had said. The took his side, (or pretended to), but they managed to calm him down, enough to get him to go on into the store with them. After he was out of site, I went to relay the whole sorry situation to the security guard just around the corner from where I was, only to find out he had watched the whole thing. (gee, thanks for stepping in, or at least calling for the off duty cop who regularly hangs around the other entrance on the opposite side of the building)At any rate, I finished the repairs, and kept my eyes peeled for this jerk the whole time, then went home.

Not to hair raising, but definitely a threat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just the other night I got home to see the back door open. Not a good sign. Apparently one of my kids unlocked it and it wasn't latched all the way when we left that afternoon. I was alone at the time. Just as I walked in the house, I saw the door and something fell off a shelf downstairs. I pulled my SW 642 from my pocket holster and lit up the stairs with the CT. Right as my my sight hit the top step as I was bringing it up, a cat ran through it and out the back door. Apparently I had startled it when I came in and it bolted. God my heart was racing. I quickly secured the door and made a check of the rest of the house. Because the cat had been spooked by me, I felt that no one else was there but you never know so I checked every nook and cranny of the house. On a bright note, I found a remote control that my 2 year old misplaced a while ago.

The cat certainly wasn't a threat but the potential was there. I got a confidence boost by identifying the cat and not shooting the first thing that moved. That would have been hard to explain to quite a few people, including the cat's owner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts