Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new S&W 686+ 4-inch .357 today. I'd had one before and sold it, so I was atoning for my sin.

The old Hogue grip on my previous 686+ was bigger/thicker. S&W seems to have thinned the new grip out a bit and I'd like to know what folks are using as an alternate.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
I ordered a set of rosewood grips from S&W with a 2 finger grip. No pics right now, sorry. I'll give them a 10 for asthetics but a 7 for ergonomics. But I'm keeping them.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for basically the same grip as is on the 686 now, but just larger/thicker. Does S&W sell them or do I have to go with Hogue, Pachmyer, or someone similar? I'd like the full backstrap coverage.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I uses Retro Combat Round Butt or Round Butt Finger Groove grips from Ahrend's. But they do not cover the back strap.

If you are looking for back strap coverage, well, you must have some mighty mitts! I would recommend Pachmayers. They are ugly, but they are quite functional. https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Grips-Frame-Round-Butt/dp/B0002INPFW

·
Registered
127 Posts
686a.jpg 686b.jpg

I had factory Pachmyers on this gun, however since doesn't take more than more than one .357 for a standard bad guy, the vintage S&W combat grips in Fuchsia work just fine :)

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I uses Retro Combat Round Butt or Round Butt Finger Groove grips from Ahrend's. But they do not cover the back strap.

If you are looking for back strap coverage, well, you must have some mighty mitts! I would recommend Pachmayers. They are ugly, but they are quite functional. https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Grips-Frame-Round-Butt/dp/B0002INPFW
Yes, those Pachmayrs are something handsome to behold...:blink:

I suppose the backstrap coverage isn't terribly important. I'm just wondering if S&W has something similar to this, albeit larger.

FullSizeRender-41.jpg

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Go on the S&W site

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried the Hogue 19002 today- installed then took off at my LGS. Finger grooves make it too slow, and it's not that much thicker than OEM anyway.

I'll either have to try the Pachmayers, wood, or learn to love the ones on it. The 686+ shoots beautifully no matter what; I just like the original 686 grips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts