Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my current jobs is fixing this barrel (they no longer make them). The owner dropped the gun into mud and did not do a barrel check before he fired. I'm going to chalk this one up to a once in a lifetime mistake. But he's incredibly lucky this is all there was to it.

2016-06-25_6-04-57.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wow. Nice reminder. Thanks.

What can you do to fix something like that? I assume the owner doesn't just want it cut down.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Nice reminder. Thanks.

What can you do to fix something like that? I assume the owner doesn't just want it cut down.
The owner doesn't have a choice. Not only did he bulge the barrel (and weaken the crap out of it), he left it crapped up and it was full of rust (I've gotten that out of the bore but the barrel is still rough in spots). I'll only have to chop it to a 26" barrel. He'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The inside of the barrel glows again. I got as much rust off the outside as I dared. It's in dire need of rebluing but the client doesn't want to do that to his dad's gun.

I had to cut the barrel from a 28 to a 26 inch. And I hope he likes an open choke.

I'll post finished pictures later.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If someone brought me a gun in that rusty condition.....I would throw it in the trash....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Great advice ! For years I kept an old 22 rifle, that I got as a kid, on the wall of my workshop for decoration. One day I decided to put a few rounds through it, and fortunately checked the barrel - a dirt dobber had filled the barrel with his mud, and you can imagine what would have happened if I had fired it. Always check - just takes a second.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ooooohhh!!! Scary! Glad that's all it did and that the owner is still living! I'll bet he checks from now on! At least I will...to be certain!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Just a random tip: when hunting it's easy to cover the muzzle with a piece of black electricians tape. It keeps dirt and snow out of the barrel. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy or POA on any of my rifles or rifled shotguns, we've bench tested to check that and out to 200 yards it wasn't noticeable. Just cut a little square of tape and only stick it to the muzzle end without wrapping tape onto the side of the barrel. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a random tip: when hunting it's easy to cover the muzzle with a piece of black electricians tape. It keeps dirt and snow out of the barrel. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy or POA on any of my rifles or rifled shotguns, we've bench tested to check that and out to 200 yards it wasn't noticeable. Just cut a little square of tape and only stick it to the muzzle end without wrapping tape onto the side of the barrel. YMMV.

I found that, when it gets really cold, electricians tape gets a little stiff and can fall off.

There are two solutions.

My solution is to never hunt anyplace it gets that damn cold.

The other solution is to use blue painter's tape. Same idea as electrical tape.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

My muzzle brake came with a thin red plastic dust cap. Even though it's an indoor HD weapon, I just leave that cap on and figure I'll shoot through it...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I found that, when it gets really cold, electricians tape gets a little stiff and can fall off.

There are two solutions.

My solution is to never hunt anyplace it gets that damn cold.

The other solution is to use blue painter's tape. Same idea as electrical tape.
A lot of the soldiers I was with in the First Gulf War put a condom over the barrel of their rifle to keep the sand and grit out. If required, they could shoot through it with no problem.

Not sure how that would go over on the local rifle range however :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
BUT PLEASE DON'T CHECK THE BARREL LIKE THIS GUY!

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
A lot of the soldiers I was with in the First Gulf War put a condom over the barrel of their rifle to keep the sand and grit out. If required, they could shoot through it with no problem.

Not sure how that would go over on the local rifle range however :)
Did the same thing in RVN to keep the mud out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts