Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Illinois and recently had my CCL Issued back in April. I had invested my time and money for this Permit and not to mention the money that has been spent on various pistols I have in my small collection. Not really a collector as per say but I just like to have a variety to choose from for different occasions. After having my permit for a few months now, I find that I rarely leave the house “Carrying”. During the week I rarely leave the house mainly because I am a shift worker, work 3rd shift. Even on the weekends (when the chance of “Carrying” is greater than during the week) there are times I don’t carry, like if I am going to the movies at a Theater a lot of times I will just leave my gun at home. Now granted, I am glad I got my license because it affords the ability for me to “Carry” Legally if I really feel the need to, but are their other conceal carry folks who fit a similar profile? Thanks for reading and sorry to be so wordy… To be honest, I envy the folks on this board who are allowed to Carry at work, I myself am not allowed where I work as they have a policy.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I have to wonder if all the rules and restrictions put on gun owners in IL as a part of allowing CC are having their intended affect? It's hard for me to put myself in your shoes, because I face almost no restrictions on where I can carry, so I always carry. If I had to jump through the same hoops you do regarding places off limits, car storage, etc, I can't say for certain I wouldn't be the same way.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
You sound a lot like I was.
Until I became an LEO back in 2000.

That changed my perspective quite a bit. Up until then, I never really saw the need to carry all the time, choosing when to carry and when not to.

When I started dealing with pure evil on a daily basis and saw just how depraved some people really can be...then I started carrying 24/7.

If you can carry and you don't...you are gambling. With your life.

Evil doesn't just show up when you think it will...it is around you constantly just waiting to strike. Sounds like a bunch of rhetoric don't it? It does right up until it bites a huge chunk right out of your life...because you had the means to stop it but left it at the house because you didn't think you'd need it.

It's a familiar story that I have reported on more than once. Its all about having the proper mindset and if you aren't carrying when you can, you don't have the proper mindset.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I am from Illinois and recently had my CCL Issued back in April. I had invested my time and money for this Permit and not to mention the money that has been spent on various pistols I have in my small collection. Not really a collector as per say but I just like to have a variety to choose from for different occasions. After having my permit for a few months now, I find that I rarely leave the house “Carrying”. During the week I rarely leave the house mainly because I am a shift worker, work 3rd shift. Even on the weekends (when the chance of “Carrying” is greater than during the week) there are times I don’t carry, like if I am going to the movies at a Theater a lot of times I will just leave my gun at home. Now granted, I am glad I got my license because it affords the ability for me to “Carry” Legally if I really feel the need to, but are their other conceal carry folks who fit a similar profile? Thanks for reading and sorry to be so wordy… To be honest, I envy the folks on this board who are allowed to Carry at work, I myself am not allowed where I work as they have a policy.
There is really no good way to predict when you might need to be armed. Of course, maybe your gun is close enough to you at home you could consider yourself "almost" armed. I've had mine on all day while at home. I'm leaving in a few minutes to go to Home Depot. On balance, I'd say my chances of needing the gun are higher here at home than driving to Home Deport or in the store. Obviously neither has a high probability -- probably very close to zero.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are times I don't, but I tend to carry as much as possible. You don't get to decide when you need it and besides self defense I feel it is imperative these days to exercise a right that so many wish to take away.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I also am from Illinois. And like you, my place of employment requires me to leave my gun in my car when on the employer's property. That being said, I virtually always carry. If I have to go to a Sitting Duck Zone, so be it. I leave the gun in the safe harbor car storage. Perhaps think of it this way. Do you only wear your seat belt when you believe you are about to have an accident? Same thing here. It's really not all that inconvenient. You just have to work around the State restrictions.

Reactions: Rhodie2 and joker1

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If you knew when and where you were going to need it why would you go there at that time? I carry wherever and whenever I can. I can see not carrying at work, jobs are good to have. I don't understand not carrying to the movies although I do not know the laws in Illinois.

Carry Always Never Tell

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Each and every member who bothered to reply to my thread I thank you. All of you have given me different perspectives that you shared and have given me great insight that helps me stay grounded. I think I had been used to living life without having to have the legal means to carry in Illinois for so long I just need to alter my life style to accomodate and I shall by beginning tonight. I will take my edc with me to work but leave in the car prior to walking through the employees turnstyle... :35: Naturally, at the turnstyle there is a large NO Weapons Allowed Sign with a silhouette picture of a handgun :mad:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Yes, yes you ARE!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't have my permit yet, and rarely go to the movies, but once I have it, I wouldn't be able to imagine going and not carrying. I remember Aurora, Colorado. If it happened once, it can happen again, anywhere.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm also from Illinois (central). I don't find very many restrictions that the state has put on where we can carry (state and federal buildings mostly). Here in Champaign, I have yet to even run into a business with a sign indicating that they don't allow concealed carry. I have carried every day since I got my CCW. I know from experience that you simply have not predictor of when you will have to protect your life or the lives of loved ones. Does carrying every day require some changes? Yes it does, but the ability to carry and protect myself should the need arise is more important. I think you should (if you choose) make a concerted effort to carry every day. You will soon find that it becomes part of getting dressed in the morning. Once it becomes routine you will actually feel strange when you aren't carrying (at least I do).

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Rhodie2 you are probably more the norm for people with carry permits. The majority probably never carry at all.

The members here are some of the ouliers who actually carry every day where legal.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have set up before many times.I carry to protect me and mine. I carry all the time. Granted I don't know the laws in Illinois I don't live there. My feeling is my weapon does me no good unless it's in my possession. I can understand not caring and places where the law prohibits it. All that being said if I knew when and where I was going to need my weapon before hand I would not have a need to carry a concealed weapon. I would simply avoid the places and times that I was going to need one. As I am not clairvoyant I have no way of knowing before hand when I might need it. I think there are probably quite a few folks that obtain their permit as a status symbol. They really don't believe they'll ever need it not even sure that be capable of using it . Now I'm not implying that that is the case in your situation I have no way of knowing as I don't know you personally. Personally I thought all those things through very intensely before I even applied for my permit. Experienced cross I cannot understand why someone would go through all the efforts to obtain a permit and then not use it . Ultimately the decision is yours. I have just as much respect for someone that decides not to carry . The prospect of having to take another life is not something that should be taken lightly . Not everyone is capable of accepting that responsibility. Obviously you were looking for input on this matter or you would not have posted it on an open forum. This point all I can say is good luck to you and your decision making process . Ultimately what do you decide to do, carry your weapon or not, It has to be the right decision for you. At least you have your permit and can change your mind should you decide to. I sincerely hope! That should you decide not to carry a weapon that you never have to regret that decision.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
many people get their permit and carry often for a while. After the newness wears off, they just enjoy having the permit for varied reasons but seldom carry.

I will venture to say that most permittees do not carry often. I know dozens having permits and less than half will routinely carry. Very few carry the majority of the time.

Most people with permits are not on gun forums either. Those here and other sites are more dogmatic firearm people but not representative of the majority of permit holders.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

That changed my perspective quite a bit. Up until then, I never really saw the need to carry all the time, choosing when to carry and when not to.

When I started dealing with pure evil on a daily basis and saw just how depraved some people really can be...then I started carrying 24/7.

Evil doesn't just show up when you think it will...it is around you constantly just waiting to strike. Sounds like a bunch of rhetoric don't it? It does right up until it bites a huge chunk right out of your life...because you had the means to stop it but left it at the house because you didn't think you'd need it.

It's a familiar story that I have reported on more than once. Its all about having the proper mindset and if you aren't carrying when you can, you don't have the proper mindset.
My Brother in Law-LEO says the same thing. And his 33 years with the Dallas PD carries a lot of wisdom on this subject.
I would agree.

·
Registered
423 Posts

So it's safe to say then, as a LEO, that you are strongly FOR law-abiding, permit holding, civilian concealed carry?

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but know that I am an advocate of carrying 18/7, carrying in the home, locking doors, being careful, deescalation, and so forth.

It's a bit like saying 'there are very big mean sharks in the ocean so I'm going to carry shark repellant with me every time I go swimming'.

Now, if you look at 'danger' as a sine wave, and your traveling through life as another wave, you might only intersect with danger once in every two lifetimes.

So, to me, the fact that there are very big dangers out there is NOT a reason to carry a firearm. It's a reason or a method to enable you to do things to reduce your risk.

What IS a reason to carry a firearm, let's say you are moderately proficient, is if you find you are restricting your life, afraid to go places because of this perception of danger.

If you have a stalker and are unable to sleep at night, if you are concerned that this person who has PERSONALLY targeted you could show up, then that is a good reason to carry a firearm.

But, to be honest, I don't carry because I have the illusion that I'm going to be able to 'shoot my way out' of a close call.

An analogy is that yes, I wear a seatbelt, but I have no false perception that this allows me do drive incautiously, to speed when conditions do not allow, to fail to signal or drive defensively. In fact, to be honest, I don't know why I wear a seatbelt, because I think it will probably be a properly functioning airbag that will save me in the event of a crash and I know that neither will help if I am hit from behind.

So, the reality is, if you are not deluding yourself, that it's the side benefits of being able to carry that contribute to self-preservation.

We are calmer, we are more responsible, we tent to be more patient and forgiving, we don't let anger get the better of us and this perception of reduced-risk allows us to not have to be pre-occupied with the dangers of life.

It is, of course, different if you are a LEO, a body-guard, or a soldier. You generally attract the bad guys, you go into danger, you are a target because of the car you drive and the uniform you wear.

Anyway, that's my take. Don't carry and think you have the ultimate solution. Don't be a cowboy. Don't insert yourself in situations, and make decisions early and don't wait until you are in the kill zone. Partner up and follow "The Three-S Rule".

FWIW

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am also in Illinois, St Louis metro East. Our carry laws are not that onerous. I rarely see a posted building. I find myself carrying wherever legal these days. You never know when lightning will strike you....

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of interesting comments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts