Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching this to no avail. I looked at some reloading data and I saw a load for 9mm 115 FMJ with Alliant red dot and it said 4.5 grams. I did the grams to pound conversion and I am showing for about a pound of powder and at about $20 per pound of powder added to the bullets and primers I do not see where I would save any money If I can find a good deal on new ammo.

Am I doing my math right or am will I get more than 100 rounds out of a pound of powder?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're confusing GRAMS with GRAINS... big difference.

A pound is about 454 grams.

A pound is 7000 grains.

Assuming your load is 4.5 grains, you'll get over 1500 rounds from that pound of powder.
Thank you I feel pretty stupid right now.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Thank you I feel pretty stupid right now.
Should not feel stupid, it is a very very common mistake, and you requested clarification and gasmitty was so kind to reply.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Or about 1.3 cents per round for powder.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
You're confusing GRAMS with GRAINS... big difference.

A pound is about 454 grams.

A pound is 7000 grains.

Assuming your load is 4.5 grains, you'll get over 1500 rounds from that pound of powder.
Grams... Grains... Whatever it takes.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
My 9mm cases musta shrunked up when I cleaned them

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
'Cept when your finished. Then tumble them on high heat...to make 'em shiny!

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I don't want to be very close to him if he manages to stuff 4.5 grams of powder in that case along with ANY projectile, and detonate it. I think that would no longer be considered a cartridge, but maybe a bomblet.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I don't want to be very close to him if he manages to stuff 4.5 grams of powder in that case along with ANY projectile, and detonate it. I think that would no longer be considered a cartridge, but maybe a bomblet.
Eh, just sell them to known gangbangers and let the issue kinda resolve itself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Now a days with component pricing its almost a break even (with 9mm) when comparing load cost to factory ammo. IMO

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Here you go! This should make your life a little easier! Handloading Cost Calculator

Now just get the terms and measurements down pat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts