Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You're not a dinosaur! Just carry your Glock 30 w/ your WML and call it good! The .45 acp should work well on anything crawling or walking the bayous and swamps! Good luck!
No doubt that .45 would handle anything 2 legged, 4 legged or slithering and sliding in my swamps. .45 has always been in my stable, no matter what else I carried. It just might be time to go .45 all the way. I only have 2 years until retirement so I’ll be on my own then. And my confidence in .45 ACP has never faltered. I just wish most of them were easier to pack. My G30S ain’t bad, and my XDS .45 is really sweet.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I think that I have out Dinosaur'd you. I used to carry a Glock 9mm all of the time. Now I have reverted to carrying a 6 shot snubby Revolver. Must be something about Old Men and Revolvers. I'll be 74 this Month. I feel adequately Protected with the 6 shooter. If I'm going into a war zone I still keep the Glock in the car Just in case

Attachments

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Not a dinosaur at all. Every time we have panic buys it seems 9mm and 45 sell out pretty quick but 40 S&W is right there to be found. The only difference I have noted lately seems to be the cost of 40 has increased but so has everything else.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Nope. You're not a dinosaur. You're livin' the dream.

There never was a good reason shooters to abandon .40 S&W to the extent that it's been abandoned (if indeed it's really so shunned these days).

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
No doubt that .45 would handle anything 2 legged, 4 legged or slithering and sliding in my swamps. .45 has always been in my stable, no matter what else I carried. It just might be time to go .45 all the way. I only have 2 years until retirement so I’ll be on my own then. And my confidence in .45 ACP has never faltered. I just wish most of them were easier to pack. My G30S ain’t bad, and my XDS .45 is really sweet.
There is always the G-30S or Shield .45 which is very slim and easy to carry with as much capacity as the venerable 1911! Good luck!

·
Registered
567 Posts
My edc is my G27. If I carry a 9mm, it is usually a bug. I shoot my G27 as well and accurately as my G19. I like 40 S&W and the amped up power it brings with it...to the intended target.
Sometimes, I even step up to my G30sf.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I'm a dinosaur too. Despite my current thread on Glock 19:
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/475016-glock-19-too-easy-like.html

On a regular day its not hard for me to conceal a Glock 35 or 41 but a upcoming trip calls for easy concealment, Glock 19/23/30SF are options.
I do not live in a 10 round state and the vacation is not in a 10 round state, the 30SF is out; I like bigger bullets but aint giving up 30-50% capacity.
For quite some time my Glock 23 has been a minimum carry and I like 40 S&W. Carrying the 19 rather than the 23 is not an easy decision.
I do not think 9mm is "just as good" as 40 - apples to apples, 124/147 HST versus 180 HST - 40 is better, Glock 23 wins on bullet performance.
However, I think the 19 has a bit better POA/POI match, slightly; the difference may vary from shooting session to another, but the edge goes to the 19.
The 19 is slightly quicker on follow up shots, insignificant but its there.
Two more rounds capacity is nice, but I don't consider 13 rounds as "lacking".
In my Glock 19 thread, I said "dang it" because carrying the 19 is sacrificing a bit of bullet performance, apples to apples .... so ... :redface:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx

I'll use heavy clothing data despite that nobody from KY ---> FL is going to wear heavy clothing in June.

Lucky Gunner: Lets go cherry picking!!! :danceban:
40 S&W 180 HST 18.5/.72
40 S&W 180 Hydra-Shok 16.4/.60
9mm 124 +P HST 18.3/.66
9mm 147 +P HST 19.2/.60
No, HST versus HST 9mm is not equal to 40, but compared to Hydra-Shok 40 (which is good) 9mm HST aint lacking.

Federal data: Oh No, no cherrys to be found. :disappointed:
40 S&W 180 HST 12.5/.80
40 S&W 180 Gold Dot 13.2/.70
9mm 124 HST +P 13/.61
9mm 147 HST 12.5/.69

I'm sticking with the 19 for the trip; I'll be taking another 19 that could be used by family member in emergency, ammo commonality and easier for them to shoot.
After the trip ....

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There is always the G-30S or Shield .45 which is very slim and easy to carry with as much capacity as the venerable 1911! Good luck!
I made a grievous error!!! I forgot to mention my other carry gun...Shield 45. I'm honestly glad I don't have to make a once-for-all-time decision about which one to carry.

Now to run off to the safe and sweet talk an apology to the Shield! :vs_cry::kiss::vs_love:

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
I am thinking about returning to .40 S&W after a one year hiatus. I carried, on and off-duty, GLOCKs G23/G27 combo for 7 years, G22/G27 combo for 18 years prior to that. And a Shield .40 off-duty too.

After fighting unreliability issues with various .40 caliber GLOCKs with WML's for several months, and intensely researching 9mm ballistics for over a year I got the Sheriff to approve personally purchased GLOCK 9mm and .45 ACP for those deputies that wished to either just carry those calibers, or if they wanted to utilize a WML on their handgun. The WML situation got so bad we decided to ban them from the .40 GLOCKs.

Our issue weapon is the G22 for uniform and G23 for plain clothed. When we upgrade we will be issuing G17/G19's, but .40 will still be authorized along with .45 ACP GLOCKs if they are personally purchased. The GLOCK 9mm's and .45s have been flawless with WML's.

I personally decided to switch to a G19/G26 9mm combo for duty. And a G30S. I shoot them well, but I shoot my G23/G27 well too. Admittedly, I do shoot the 9mm's faster, but, then again, I shoot my .40's pretty dang fast too.

Here is my dilemma. I am seriously considering returning to .40 S&W. All the data I have indicates that 9mm is probably better for duty. Better capacity, easier to shoot, easier on guns, supposedly no practical difference in terminal performance and our GLOCK 9mm's run perfectly with WML's.

BUT, I still feel like my old .40's just had better performance. And I know they do, but my data and logic tells me it's not enough to make a practical difference on the street. But I just feel like it is a significant difference.

Ever seen a deer or hog shot with a .40 and a 9mm. It's a significant difference to them, so why not humans ??

Also, I am an avid outdoorsman and I much prefer a .40 in the wilds. I have used the .40 outdoors with very good success on deer, gators, wild dogs, snakes …. . I have not used the 9mm in the outdoors but I've seen videos and the performance was found wanting.

I am tired of switching out guns when I head into the swamps, and honestly, I oftentimes just find myself there with whatever I happen to be carrying.

I thought about just going straight .45 but even my G30S is bigger and heavier than my G27, it's about the size and weight of my G23, but the G23 beats it in capacity (13/15/17 for the .40).

I reckon I just miss the warm fuzzy feeling my .40's gave me. I would still have to keep my G19 in my kit for missions that require WML's. But honestly, I rarely use WML's, except on my HD gun and my hotel gun when I travel. So, talk me into or out of switching back to my .40's !

With the right load 40's are great. I like the 155's as they replicate the 158 grn 357 mag from a 4" BBL. The WML has been a known issue with 40 cal Glocks from the beginning. If you want, need, desire a WML go with something other than a 40 cal Glock. Did you try light fast 40's ?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
With the right load 40's are great. I like the 155's as they replicate the 158 grn 357 mag from a 4" BBL. The WML has been a known issue with 40 cal Glocks from the beginning. If you want, need, desire a WML go with something other than a 40 cal Glock. Did you try light fast 40's ?
Yeah, I actually handload a 155 XTP at 1250 fps. Can't use that at work though. Or even off-duty, per our policy.

I find the faster and lighter .40's are worse with the WML's than the 180's. I have sworn off WML's on .40 GLOCK's. But I have other .40's for that. My P229 .40 and P250 .40 runs great with a WML. But I'll just use my G19 or G30S for WML missions at work. My P229 .40 lives with a TLR 1 in my nightstand (1911 on the nightstand). It's not the .40, and is't not other GLOCKs. The problem is completely isolated to GLOCKs in .40 S&W.

We use HST 165's at work. They have worked very well for us.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, I carried my G30S often at work. I was qualified with it, along with my G26 and G19. Since I had decided to switch to 9mm and .45 this past year there were many days I woke up feeling .45ish so I chose the G30S over my usual G26. If I switch back to G23/G27 the G30S probably won't see as much carry time, but still some.

Also, I very often carry my XDS .45 off-duty. But, again, if I switch back to .40, my .40 Shield and G27 will see more off duty carry time. But no matter what I carry regularly, the .45, in some form, has never completely left my stable for the past 36 years of carrying professionally.

On duty will be the G27 most days (plain clothed). I have been carrying the same old G27 Gen 2.5 for 22 years now. It has never let me down.

40097816_249637702549794_7002248906822123520_n (1) - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bigsteve - I've been having similar struggles, but I've succumbed, and I recently ordered a Gen 4 Model 27 with the Glock Salute To Veterans Blue Label discount. As I was researching my first Glock, back in 2004, the .40 rage was running full steam … so I bought a G27. Shot my first few IDPA matches with that gun and it worked fine. I didn't think it was 'snappy' one bit, but at that time I was hunting whitetail deer with a S&W 629 with a 4" barrel. Now THAT was snappy! The G27 was darn tame by comparison.

After 15 years of seeking the Holy Grail of CC guns and migrating to the Sig Sauer P365, I was intrigued by the used LEO guns on the market and bought a buddy's old duty gun: a Gen 3.23 for $250 with three magazines. That's my HD gun because I live in a planned community that has very low incidents of home invasions or burglaries and my northern cabin has been even more secure for the 75 years it's been in the family. I figured why have a lot of money invested in home defense when the threat seems extremely low?

But, after I sold a boat and got my stimulus bucks, I felt the compelling urge to get another G27. So, when Glock announced the veterans' program I didn't hesitate. If you'd like additional confirmation on the 27, swing over to the Lucky Gunner website and check out their Labs section and gel tests. The Federal 180-grain HST round is a bit better in penetration and expansion than the HST 9mm loads. Even though I use the Sig as an EDC and a Glock 42 for pocket carry, I've stocked up on HST ammo for all three calibers … and the G27 looks darn good among the three. (Naturally, I'd expect the G23 to perform slightly better. Lucky Gunner used a G27 for their .40 caliber gel tests.)

For a dinosaur, your thinking is remarkably sophisticated, says me (because we're thinking the same way :)).

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I keep seeing ya'll taut the 45 as more powerful than 40 but it's not, in most common defensive loads the 40 delivers more KE at the muzzle and 25 yards than the 45 does, unless you run the 45 at over 1000 fps which is dang hot in 45 acp 230 grain , the 185 loaded to 1100 fps really hits hard but then the 180 .40 will penetrate more..... the 40 is dang hard to beat

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I keep seeing ya'll taut the 45 as more powerful than 40 but it's not, in most common defensive loads the 40 delivers more KE at the muzzle and 25 yards than the 45 does, unless you run the 45 at over 1000 fps which is dang hot in 45 acp 230 grain , the 185 loaded to 1100 fps really hits hard but then the 180 .40 will penetrate more..... the 40 is dang hard to beat
Yeah, but the 45 is 100% ‘merican

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yeah, but the 45 is 100% ‘merican
lol, so is the .40 ,I'm not knocking the 45 at all since I own and carry a few but if I knew I was going into battle tomorrow I would want my 229 as my backup, and since I'm kinda weird I want a 308 Tavor as my rifle of choice :image035:

21 - 40 of 73 Posts