Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking it over and I just might;
I used to be a big 1911 guy, almost obsessive, and had a extensive collection of modern and collector 1911's. I've sold and traded every single one. I couldn't carry them due to circumstances outside of my control so I got rid of em. Heartbreaking, but that's what I did. I switched to 9mm and have been carrying a variety of European wonders since.
Now, fast forward a decade, I can do what I want again as far as carry guns and I'm on the hunt for a new carry gun due to a rather catastrophic injury to my shootin hand leaves the sub compact and micro 9's in the safe.

Throw me suggestions and recommendations for a champion/commander sized 1911, preferably on a lightweight frame.

Go!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
For a carry 1911, I don't think you can beat a LW CCO. 4" barrel and Officer length grip. Fully loaded, I think mine weighs in at a little over 2 lbs. Colt Wiley Clapp and Talo models, Baer Stinger and STI Guardian might be good options.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
The Colt Lightweight Commander is an obvious choice! If you want to move upscale a bit, it would be tough to beat a Dan Wesson Guardian for value.

I'd be choosing between those two.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I carried Glocks for many years, went with 1911's for a couple years, went back to Glocks for about 5 years, now back to 1911's.
I bought a Ruger CMD (Commander steel frame) which steered me back to 1911's and strong side IWB, rather than Glock appendix IWB.
The Ruger started it, but I quickly moved to full size since 3/4'' longer barrel/slide is not a factor strong side IWB.
I've replaced (upgraded) the original sights on my Les Baer UTC and Ed Brown Special Forces with Truglo TFO green front, yellow rear.
Baer UTC has been my main pistol for about 6 weeks now, carried 12-14 hours a day including 9 mile bicycle rides.
Another side note before answering question posed, I used Tripp 7 round flush mags, work in any 1911 for me.
I wanted a 8 round flush mag that worked, Kimpro has including passed litmus test of mixed HP in mag including 160 and 185 HP.
I don't carry mixed rounds in mag, that ^ is just a test.

Ruger is a nice pistol for the price; I got the Talo version with night sights and nitride black finish about $850 OTD, offered in lightweight.
If going to spend more than Ruger my next level (no MIM) would be something from Dan Wesson, the Guardian :drool: is lightweight:
Dan Wesson Alloy Frame Archives - Dan Wesson
Not sure Baer offers lightweight, but ... hard fit :drool:
https://www.lesbaer.com/Duty.html
Ed Brown Cobra Carry lightweight :drool:
Ed Brown Kobra Carry Lightweight 1911 Handgun
Wilson offers a lightweight Commander, for those that have the cash :eek: (not me)
ULC Commander Compact ? Wilson Combat

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The Sig C3 is a great option. Officer size Aluminum frame, commander stainless slide, and beautiful rosewood grips. Can be found for ~$700 if you shop around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Colt commander lightweight or the S&W E series commander. I really like the looks and features of the latter.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I bought a used Kimber Pro Carry !! a coupla years ago and am still carrying it. Never let me down on the range. Welcome back to 1911's
Bill H.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
The Sig C3 is a great option. Officer size Aluminum frame, commander stainless slide, and beautiful rosewood grips. Can be found for ~$700 if you shop around.
+1 on a C3, if a CCO-size meets Sixto's wants, size-wise.

Have you seen a new one listed for $700? If so, please share!

·
Super Moderator
24,982 Posts

·
Banned
894 Posts
I have the Ruger sr1911 commander in 9mm. It shoots better than I do, is light and carries comfortably. Pleasure to fire and looks really nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another vote for some kind of CCO. I had 2 built by Arnel at RIA in Pahrump - one in 9mm and one in .45. They are what I'd carry in Mag restricted states if I ever travel there and would be permitted to carry.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Sounds like the Dan Wesson Guardian might fit your needs. Commander bobtail alloy frame.

I see DW brought back the Classic Commander Bobtail, but like the original, it is a steel frame.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Somebody asked about budget- don't really have one yet. But that doesn't mean I'm going to spend stupid money on a show piece I'm reluctant to carry.
As of now, the Colt light weight commander is in the top spot. I forgot about the C3, so I gotta take a look at those.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Personally, I've sworn off alloy-framed 1911's for good. I briefly owned a Springfield Champion Lightweight and when I went to swap out the grip bushings for slim ones, I stripped the frame and had to tap it for oversize. Traded it against the Stainless Champion (with full disclosure, of course) and swapped the bushings with zero problems.

Anyway..... for me, the regular steel frame has advantages:

1. Will last longer.

2. Not that much heavier than the alloy version.

3. Helps a bit with recoil by being heavier.

Having said that, my Stainless Champion (4-inch) has never let me down through several hundred rounds.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts