Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was watching this Colt Model 1917 on GB, and when I saw what it sold for, I was stunned!

It's a badly butchered M1917:
Barrel cut off
Refinished
Non-original grips
Non-original sights
Polished trigger & "jeweled" hammer.

$2750??? Seriously??? Unless it belonged to John Dillinger or something, I'm just not feelin' it! I have a lettered, unmolested M1917 in VG to Excellent condition, and I consider it about a $700-$800 gun. Can I spend a couple hundred bucks, Bubba it up, and increase its value by a couple grand??? 馃槣

Anybody seeing something I'm missing here?

Registered
Nope.

Registered
Gave my old Colt 1917 to my son last year. He appreciates the historical pieces so that is where most of my military collection is going.

All original condition and a decent shooter. IIRC I bought it about 1990 for $120. On my most recent inventory I had it listed as $750 market value.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
...All original condition and a decent shooter. IIRC I bought it about 1990 for $120. On my most recent inventory I had it listed as $750 market value.
I think that's what I put on my spreadsheet for the value of mine.

Registered

Premium Member
Hi All,

I was watching this Colt Model 1917 on GB, and when I saw what it sold for, I was stunned!

View attachment 345803

It's a badly butchered M1917:
Barrel cut off
Refinished
Non-original grips
Non-original sights
Polished trigger & "jeweled" hammer.

$2750??? Seriously??? Unless it belonged to John Dillinger or something, I'm just not feelin' it! I have a lettered, unmolested M1917 in VG to Excellent condition, and I consider it about a $700-$800 gun. Can I spend a couple hundred bucks, Bubba it up, and increase its value by a couple grand??? 馃槣

Anybody seeing something I'm missing here?
Yeah. PANIC, combined with ignorance. People are desperate for any guns now, and many hedging their bets thinking that revolvers won鈥檛 be banned.
Then factor in how they ask someone 鈥渁re s&ws any good?鈥 And they are off to the races.

I too have a number of mint or new pre lock smiths and have been amazed at prices on armslist for such guns. Heck, you鈥檇 think they were colt pythons, lol

Registered
Wow.
As noted in an earlier post, PT Barnum said it best: there's a sucker born every minute.

To say that sold above it's value would be an understatement.

Registered
Actually part of a trend toward short barrel revolvers! I know two people that were bidding on that gun. Both dropped out at around $1500. Both thought there was a resale possibility at around $2000. I guess the auction proved that out.
My friend that collects Police marked guns has seen prices in his guns up also. Well carried guns have shot up in value.
Unfortunately this will have some faking old Cop's guns. And Butchering other wise collectable guns to try and make a buck.
The other silly trend are towards Fitz Specials. I have seen several newly faked guns that were trying to be passed off as an original, and even a few New guns being "Fitzed"! When you see one you will be scratching your head!
If you have a Min. look up Fitz Special. the first thing people notice is the cut away trigger guard and shortened barrel. There were other modifications too! And before you buy one ask for a factory letter! Yes, they came from the factory that way or were returned to the factory to be Fitzed! But the real thing will have a paper trail! DR

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
That's not a bubba job. I'm not surprised it went for that much, but it's more than I would have spent on it.

That's some old school cool that you don't see much.
OK, maybe calling it a "Bubba job" was a bit of an exaggeration. Don't get me wrong - I actually think it's a very cool old revolver. I sure can't see the price, though!

If someone wants/needs a carry gun that throws a big hunk of lead, there are countless .45 ACP's and .44 Special revolvers out there that will do the job just as well at 1/6 or 1/5 the cost. Heck, if my life depended on it, I'd take a new .44 Special GP100 over a 100-year-old New Service any day, even though I'm an old Colt fanatic.

If someone wants an old New Service revolver for nostalgia reasons, an unmolested original would, IMHO, always win out over a chop job.

Like I said, I think it's a cool old gun - but to me, it's a $400 gun; not $2750!

Administrator
OK, maybe calling it a "Bubba job" was a bit of an exaggeration. Don't get me wrong - I actually think it's a very cool old revolver. I sure can't see the price, though!

If someone wants/needs a carry gun that throws a big hunk of lead, there are countless .45 ACP's and .44 Special revolvers out there that will do the job just as well at 1/6 or 1/5 the cost. Heck, if my life depended on it, I'd take a new .44 Special GP100 over a 100-year-old New Service any day, even though I'm an old Colt fanatic.

If someone wants an old New Service revolver for nostalgia reasons, an unmolested original would, IMHO, always win out over a chop job.

Like I said, I think it's a cool old gun - but to me, it's a $400 gun; not $2750!
No one is going to go out and use this as an EDC, someone saw this as a work of art and already has a collection of various wheel guns made for similar roles as that '17.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bolke didn't grab it.

I almost picked one up for a similar project due to the cool factor but at the end of the day it just want economical for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered
Nice early flat-latch Colt. Martially Marked. Desireable large bore .45.

That being said..

Yeah, it's a mess. Look how far they had to jack up the rear sight to meet that bubba'd front site.

Let's take a step back. Yes, an esteemed collector wouldn't go there. But, let's not think in 1990 dollars either.

A penny can sell for a million dollars. Why? Because there are many more collectors than there are rare variants.

The polished steel continues to yield to the plastic frames under the gun counter. We are not the only ones to value what is virtually hand-made fit and finish. In steel no less. So the supply dwindles and the demand rises. It is shocking to see how many paper dollars some might give for such an ageless relic. But then it also depends on how hard they worked for those dollars, when they weigh the bargain. Add that up with the potential for a seller's dream- a bidding war- and the sky is the limit.

Other than that, No. Just No.

Registered
Wow.
As noted in an earlier post, PT Barnum said it best: there's a sucker born every minute.

To say that sold above it's value would be an understatement.
Actually that has been misattributed to Barnum. It has been found to actually have been said by a business associate of his. Google the name in my signature line. ;)

Premium Member
A damaged pistol in my opinion, & worth LESS than bluebook/fair market value. No, I wouldn't pay asking price, OR what some un-informed/senseless person paid. I have NO problem paying for "fair value" for gun's, BUT NOT being taken to the cleaner's! Something else, I'd say, is it's been re-blued (most probably) FURTHER de-valuing it.

Reactions: msgt/ret

Administrator
Omg look at this 1911 that some dolt put a K frame adj sight on.

Look at that grip safety, doesn't look anything like my Kimber...

Who would pay $2k for THAT!

Pffffffb obviously been refinished also! Worthless!!!

Registered

Who would buy a gun with someone else's initials on it?

Reactions: StormRhydr

Premium Member

I DO get where you're going, with this post, BUT, I'd have to say in " in MY opinion", THOSE change's, SPECIFICLY DONE by THAT shop, vastly INCREASES the valve of a "plain jane, MK IV Series 70". Your opinion may vary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts