Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the Model 60-15 3" 357 revolver on my carry permit with my Model 37 38-special snub.

I live in a state where you have to list a maximum of three carry pieces on you CC license.

Besides the others, the permit lists my 431PD (32 H&R Mag), a Model 49, and the 60.

I find myself carrying the 431PD the most. With the 49 coming in second. And I never feel like carrying the heavy Model 60.

I just like the concept of a light weight J frame in my pocket. A heavy gun, while obviously might be better in an actual SD situation never gets carried. Instead it lives in the safe.

I figure the 37 would give me a 38 Special alternative to the M 431PD of the same weight and size. Another advantage is, for some reason that isn't clear, I've always found this 37 to be my most accurate and easy to shoot snub.

I'm sure someone will tell me to get a Glock 19, but that isn't happening. :smile:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
By all means if your carry permit limits you to one gun get the one on it that you will carry and the Model 37 in your pocket or on your belt is of far more use to you than the Model 60 sitting at home in the safe.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Get a Glock 23 instead.

In all seriousness if you don't carry the model 60, and the model 37 is the same size and weight as m431pd, seems like a good choice to me to remove the 60 and add the 37

Sorry you live in a state that makes you list your carry weapon

·
Registered
21,342 Posts
There is no disadvantage that I can see.

If it's switching to a piece you will actually carry, that has advantage written all over it.

·
Super Moderator
19,205 Posts
For battling organized terrorists units in the streets you'll be a little light with the Model 37, but for personal protection you'll have it covered.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
S&W Model 37 is a fine CCW! Now go (carry) my Son, and worry...no more. :yup:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yes, I think you are. But that's an opinion. Sure, I think I can back it up with rational arguments. But then I'm not you.

And if you're carrying revolvers I do strongly recommend you carry more than one of them and at the minimum have at least one speed loader and one speed strip with you.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And if you're carrying revolvers I do strongly recommend you carry more than one of them and at the minimum have at least one speed loader and one speed strip with you.
I was thinking along the same lines.

Right now I think the threat around where I live is minimal. But, that might change or I might have to go into a higher threat area.

So, carrying the M49 with 38+P as a primary and the M37 (loaded with 38 standard pressure) as a backup would make sense. Then I can share reloads.

But right now, I haven't yet seen a reason to carry more than one J frame.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Cal, IMHO, by the time we "see" the reason, it's often too late. And the BEST reason to carry a 2nd J-frame is...buying ANOTHER J-frame! :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
39,014 Posts
Go with whatever you feel good about carrying. A one-shot Deringer (no, I'm not recommending it) puts you a leg up on most Californians.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
My 37 is my Tux gun but for a quick store trip, it works well too .I like the 37 a lot .

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
For my purposes, a lightweight j-frame 38 is the ideal carry piece, which is why I have a S&W 642 in my pocket each day.

It certainly isn't the right piece for everyone's situation, but it fits me perfectly. If you're in a low risk environment, it's probably a good choice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes if the 37 is the one you shoot the best and feel the most comfortable with by all means carry that one. Be sure to use a quality self defense load.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines.

Right now I think the threat around where I live is minimal. But, that might change or I might have to go into a higher threat area.

So, carrying the M49 with 38+P as a primary and the M37 (loaded with 38 standard pressure) as a backup would make sense. Then I can share reloads.

There are incidents of 1 attacker requiring more than 5 rounds to stop:
09/16 mall stabber, off duty officer that's firearms instructor & 3 gun competitor fired 10 rounds (Glock 19) hit 6/10
It took 6 rounds to stop 1 guy with a knife https://www.policeone.com/terrorism/articles/230490006-10-police-training-takeaways-from-the-St-Cloud-mall-attack/
12/15 another guy armed with a knife, I count more than 5 rounds to stop him
LiveLeak.com - Police shoot attacker in Palo Alto, CA.

Reactions: OD*

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If weight is the issue...get a Ruger LCP custom. Very light and it's easy to carry a second or third mag.

·
Registered
21,342 Posts
There are incidents of 1 attacker requiring more than 5 rounds to stop:
09/16 mall stabber, off duty officer that's firearms instructor & 3 gun competitor fired 10 rounds (Glock 19) hit 6/10
It took 6 rounds to stop 1 guy with a knife https://www.policeone.com/terrorism...ning-takeaways-from-the-St-Cloud-mall-attack/
12/15 another guy armed with a knife, I count more than 5 rounds to stop him
LiveLeak.com - Police shoot attacker in Palo Alto, CA.
Its possible. But I believe it's more productive to focus on what is more of the norm than the most fantastic scenarios.

When you are not bound by the authority of " no duty to retreat", then a few well placed slugs are going to make it pretty darn difficult to keep up with you while you egress.
If a couple of lung shots from a 38spl don't do the trick, it's time to start some evasive action.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts