Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon for most of them. Will they become responsible and conscience owners: or will they be on the edge ready to gun down anything that makes them nervous. Will a bunch of fly by night firearm instructors pop up ready to train them. :confused:

I think owning a gun is a conscience decision one should make not a panic buy like a pregnancy test or cold sore cream.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
in times of uncertainty people like to think a gun will get them through the crisis. They want to pretend they can take care of themselves if it all goes south in a hurry.
Unfortunately, most guns purchased will never be fired and will sit in a dresser drawer for years untouched.

that was me in the fall of 1994 before the AWB took effect, and September 2011, October 2008, and again in October 2012. Now I pass the gun store lines and thank God my time for that nonsense has come and gone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I totally agree but these are strange times. People fear the unknown. If a lot of the panic buyers are 1st timers it could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
Those first time guns will for the most part make their unloaded way to a drawer or closet with a box of ammo stored somewhere nearby.

No, it doesn't worry me.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
I hope you didn't mean it that way, but your post sounds like something the anti-gunners, like Moms Demand Action would say. 2A does not make those distinctions on who should, and should not, have arms. Truth is, most people who buy guns for protection don't get enough training even in the best of times, yet people without training successfully and legally defend themselves with those guns all the time.

And some who buy in a crisis may have training. As surprising as it may be to people on this site, there are people who have been trained with handguns in the military, law enforcement or private security who are no longer in those jobs and don't own any guns of their own. My brother is an example. He has been in all three lines of work, but he always had issued guns. He may be out buying one right now and if he is, he will know how to use it.

I see a positive in all this. People are affirming that the RTKABA is essential for self preservation. A lot of those people buying may have never thought of it that way before now. But due to this crisis, they have not only thought of it, they have taken action on it. Those are more people who may get upset at politicians who will later want to take guns away.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
The only fear I have is that most of the buying is by the liberal hypocrites and we are actually arming the enemy. But most will probably be pawned as soon as this is over or left forgotten in the back of some closet.

My son went to the largest volume gun store in our area this morning to get some Pmags and he said people were getting upset when they found out that they couldn't take their new guns home with them. Darn waiting period was messing them up. Florida CWFL holders don't have to wait but these were all first time gun buyers so no CWFL. Getting bit in the arse by gun laws they lobbied for = instant karma for those folks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The so called liberals buy guns just like the conservatives. It is the opposite side most people want to disarm.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The only fear I have is that most of the buying is by the liberal hypocrites and we are actually arming the enemy. But most will probably be pawned as soon as this is over or left forgotten in the back of some closet.

My son went to the largest volume gun store in our area this morning to get some Pmags and he said people were getting upset when they found out that they couldn't take their new guns home with them. Darn waiting period was messing them up. Florida CWFL holders don't have to wait but these were all first time gun buyers so no CWFL. Getting bit in the arse by gun laws they lobbied for = instant karma for those folks.
A lot of first time buyers where I work and some former anti's. The anti's are learning they actually need a background check.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
The so called liberals buy guns just like the conservatives. It is the opposite side most people want to disarm.
Right on. I consider a liberal who owns a gun for protection as a positive for gun rights. The more guns out there and the more CC permits issued, the less politicians on both sides will want to mess with restricting people's rights. I wish every law abiding adult owned a gun for protection.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm concerned over one of these people shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper, or using the firearm to stop a verbal altercation. Bad reflection on responsible gun owners. I'm also concerned about people buying a firearm they are totally unfamiliar with and it being too powerful or too complicated for them. Have you seen any of the videos of people who never touched a gun before as they try to figure out how to load and fire it? One of the worst was the AR! They'll be frustrated by it and give up firearms all together. Or they'll die because when they need it they can't figure it out. Great they are buying them, but not great if they have a horrible experience because of their ignorance, either of the law, the manual of arms, or basic firearm safety.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Right on. I consider a liberal who owns a gun for protection as a positive for gun rights. The more guns out there and the more CC permits issued, the less politicians on both sides will want to mess with restricting people's rights. I wish every law abiding adult owned a gun for protection.
Yes Sir.

I think the people who made the Hungarian revolution in 1956, were all liberals.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I see it as a positive. Some people are "waking up" that they need to be responsible for protecting themselves. While many likely dismiss the threats that exist everyday because they don't think it could happen to them, this event has caused them to think twice. Once this event is over, they will not all suddenly go back to their prior stance and will, hopefully, be on the side of supporting 2A rights. Then again, they may decide to go back to their old way of thinking and get rid of their guns, which might spur a cheap resale market. That's would be a win too.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Interestingly I've never been in a pawn shop that had deals. Asking price was always the newest price. I was in one yesterday too.
I actually have one near me that has pretty good prices but, it is the only one like that I have ever seen except for the one where Subhuman buys his guns. He gets some great buys too. Picked up a barely used G21sf gen 3 today for $369 w/3 mags and night sights and he threw in 2 new leather Bianchi OWB holsters in the deal. Of course I have bought from him before and he is having a very good week of sales.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I'm concerned over one of these people shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper, or using the firearm to stop a verbal altercation. Bad reflection on responsible gun owners. I'm also concerned about people buying a firearm they are totally unfamiliar with and it being too powerful or too complicated for them. Have you seen any of the videos of people who never touched a gun before as they try to figure out how to load and fire it? One of the worst was the AR! They'll be frustrated by it and give up firearms all together. Or they'll die because when they need it they can't figure it out. Great they are buying them, but not great if they have a horrible experience because of their ignorance, either of the law, the manual of arms, or basic firearm safety.
Surely the gun stores will guide them to the perfect gun for them and encourage them to get training.....then again, maybe they won't.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
in times of uncertainty people like to think a gun will get them through the crisis. They want to pretend they can take care of themselves if it all goes south in a hurry.
Unfortunately, most guns purchased will never be fired and will sit in a dresser drawer for years untouched.

that was me in the fall of 1994 before the AWB took effect, and September 2011, October 2008, and again in October 2012. Now I pass the gun store lines and thank God my time for that nonsense has come and gone.
I'd like to say, "Meh" (Because that is what I do) and repeat what Zonker said.

Reactions: airslot and G-man*

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
It doesn't concern me any more than any of the other panic buying scenarios from the past. They get scared, go buy a g19 and a box of ammo, stick both in a drawer somewhere never to be seen again. Maybe a few of them end up as serious gun owners, and learn to think of gun ownership the way many of us do. At any rate the more guns that get pumped into civilian circulation the better. Increased gun sales is one of the few silver linings for situations like these.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts