Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Well, with everyone buying guns it will make things harder if they try to confiscate them.

The day I turned 21 (over 40 years ago) I bought my first pistol and put my application in at the Sheriff's Office.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It doesn't concern me any more than any of the other panic buying scenarios from the past. They get scared, go buy a g19 and a box of ammo, stick both in a drawer somewhere never to be seen again. Maybe a few of them end up as serious gun owners, and learn to think of gun ownership the way many of us do. At any rate the more guns that get pumped into civilian circulation the better. Increased gun sales is one of the few silver linings for situations like these.
Well, with everyone buying guns it will make things harder if they try to confiscate them.
Yes I see it as a good thing. Mostly due to the sentiment that the more guns are out there the harder it would be to confiscate them.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I see mostly good.
Some will discover that guns and gun owners are not the evil bloodthirsty devils they were told we were.
Some will be converted and become good responsible gun owners.
Some will just put in a drawer and do nothing with it which is okay with me also.
Some will not want it anymore after the crisis has ended, so may be some good deals later on.
The only downside is the prices. Not many good bargains out there now, but this to will pass.

·
Registered
33,946 Posts
... and be sure to have plenty of toilet paper, milk, and bread. :confused: "Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth"
I'll quote OldVet's quote.
People should listen to that song. It made sense then, makes even more sense now.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=for+what+it's+worth+buffalo+springfield&view=detail&mid=8C2E6BFFB22D118F8E3B8C2E6BFFB22D118F8E3B&FORM=VIRE0&ru=/search?q=for+what+it%27s+worth+buffalo+springfield&form=ANNTH1&refig=15038ce3675c410d8062a114f2c4aac2&sp=3&qs=AS&pq=for+what+it%27s+worth&sk=PRES1LS1AS1&sc=8-19&cvid=15038ce3675c410d8062a114f2c4aac2

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
It doesn't worry me in the least. In fact, I see it as a great thing because more and more people are waking up to the fact that police can't protect the populace. In fact, they aren't required to protect anyone as determined by the Supreme Court, but that's another thread.

So, the next time a leftist politician decides to ban guns to "keep everyone safe," maybe at least some of these people will remember the panic they felt that caused them to run out and buy their first gun, and they'll "just say no."

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
People should listen to that song. It made sense then, makes even more sense now.

I would also add Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry". Both songs although old, are very relevant to current issues!

·
Registered
96 Posts

The day I turned 21 (over 40 years ago) I bought my first pistol and put my application in at the Sheriff's Office.

Everybody has to start somewhere.
Yes, more legally obtained arms in the hands of citizens is always a good thing, a rifle behind every blade of grass!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I'm concerned over one of these people shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper, or using the firearm to stop a verbal altercation. Bad reflection on responsible gun owners. I'm also concerned about people buying a firearm they are totally unfamiliar with and it being too powerful or too complicated for them. Have you seen any of the videos of people who never touched a gun before as they try to figure out how to load and fire it? One of the worst was the AR! They'll be frustrated by it and give up firearms all together. Or they'll die because when they need it they can't figure it out. Great they are buying them, but not great if they have a horrible experience because of their ignorance, either of the law, the manual of arms, or basic firearm safety.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren’t you the person who threw car keys at a vehicle doing donuts in a parking lot?
You are speaking about your own kind here.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I struggle a little bit when I hear this perspective. It strikes me the same as all of these elitist politicians who say "we need to decide everything in your life for you, since you are not as smart as us and can't figure it out for yourselves." Those of us that have some formal training, and use our firearms regularly, can have a tendency to worry about large numbers of new firearms owners joining us in a short period of time, because we are comparing what we know to what they potentially don't. That is understandable on some level, but the fears that we sometimes have about that don't actually logically follow from the situation.

Lots of stupid people will probably buy guns in this panic, and may even do stupid things with them. Guns are dangerous, but they are NOT rocket science or brain surgery. While many stupid people may be out there buying, there are probably just as many rational, intelligent people out there buying guns now, for the very first time. Perhaps they didn't grow up with guns, or otherwise never had any interest in them due to lack of exposure, but have now realized that they should have thought about this before.

I have a high level of confidence that a normal, rational, intelligent person can buy a gun, figure out how to use it safely, carry it safely, and store it safely, and do so without causing any unnecessary death or mayhem. They may not become "skilled" without some formal training and help, but having basic ability and operating with basic safety does not require training. It only requires a brain, and access to information. I choose to believe (with obvious good reason) that half the people out there are of above average intelligence. There is no real reason to think that they don't make up a normal proportion of those that are suddenly realizing that having a gun is an important step in taking responsibility for yourself and your family. Since it's an intelligent realization, they may even be a greater proportion. These folks will end up as valuable allies in the end, whatever their political persuasion.

When we see all the stupid people fighting over rolls of toilet paper in the aisle at the discount store, I think it's easy to forget that those ARE the stupid people. The normal, rational people aren't hoarding toilet paper at all, and are living their lives normally. Those people at the discount store are a concentration of the stupid and irrational folks in one place. They are not representative of a cross-section of our fellow citizens as a whole (at least I sure hope not...).

I think I prefer to focus on cheering the new contingent of normal, intelligent first-time gun owners, rather than fearing the stupid, irresponsible ones. Just a preference, but I think that, ultimately, there's no compelling reason to choose the latter over the former...
I hardly believe the government knows best. Other than little things like national parks, I can't think of much the government has its hands into that works well, or even works. I hope these people will educate themselves in the safe and proper use. Realistically, a lot of these people will just have their newly acquired self-defense tool sitting in a drawer, never to be used or seen again. I think that's too bad too.

OTOH, what happens when we have Mr. Panic Snowflake use his newly acquired tool to secure himself a few rolls of TP? This just gives the Bloomberg, Gifford, lil' boss Hogg, Moms Demand Action, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
No, I'm not concerned. I think anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun should own a gun if they want one. Sometimes it takes a crisis to convince some people they should own one. The more the merrier. And the more owners there are, the harder it is going to be for politicians to get elected on an anti-gun platform.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren’t you the person who threw car keys at a vehicle doing donuts in a parking lot?
You are speaking about your own kind here.
He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property. I am security for the property, so it IS my business and my job to protect property and people.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property. I am also security for the property, so it IS my business and my job.
You are wrong then, and are still wrong now. That’s how you escalate things into a shooting, it was only chance that it did not occur. So those people you are worried about... they are you, Sir.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
He was endangering property and wouldn't stop. Even the police agreed with my handling of the situation. He was a danger to the public and to private property.I am also security for the property, so it IS my business and my job.

While I may agree with this, throwing keys at the car was a very poor decision. Let the maroon wreck his car. Wait for patrol, whom would be able to legally pursue them. If you're on foot, you're NO MATCH for a 4,000# weapon!

41 - 60 of 129 Posts