Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why would someone stand in line (6 ft distance) for a chance to buy a gun at a store that was selling out while all this virus stuff going on? Any gun person already has several and plenty of ammo. Lately has been a good time to stay away from anything you don't have to.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon for most of them. Will they become responsible and conscience owners: or will they be on the edge ready to gun down anything that makes them nervous. Will a bunch of fly by night firearm instructors pop up ready to train them. :confused:

I think owning a gun is a conscience decision one should make not a panic buy like a pregnancy test or cold sore cream.
One side of my family has been gun owners since the 1700's. None other than a few who served in the military or as a LEO, ever had any formal training with a gun. But they have done all right for themselves! Even my own mother, during WWII was able to defend herself and her sister. She figured out how to point the gun, and pull the trigger!
I will never tell people not to get good training! But I also don't see it as necessary to defend your self! DR

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
This is purely anecdotal, but I belong to several gun forums and I've been hearing from gun store dealers and employees who are saying this, that it's mostly first-timers. But then again, it may not be that first-time buyers are the majority, but only that they stick out more because they need more assistance.
I know from stopping at the LGS to get a new decapping pin, that Our local news crew was interviewing new gun buyers. Now the news guy was sort of leading them on, But he would ask what kind of gun did they want? and the overwhelming answer was "Black". They did not care if it was a shotgun, rifle or handgun, as long as they got one. They had a hard time believing that they were going to have to come back in ten days to pick up that gun! and again the News guy was leading them, But they wanted to know more about that Loophole they hear so much about!
There were about 20 people in that line, and the news guy interviewed at least 5 of them. He picked them, I assume He picked them because he could see that they were new. But at least 5 of the 20 were new gun buyers. DR

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was picking up a gun out of the ten day wait right before the bay area got locked down, the gun store was packed with folks taking the FSC test (a pretty good indicator of a first time purchase). Good for them for seeing that the police are not going to be there to protect your TP stash. Hopefully everyone was able to pick up their new guns after the ten day wait.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I know from stopping at the LGS to get a new decapping pin, that Our local news crew was interviewing new gun buyers. Now the news guy was sort of leading them on, But he would ask what kind of gun did they want? and the overwhelming answer was "Black". They did not care if it was a shotgun, rifle or handgun, as long as they got one. They had a hard time believing that they were going to have to come back in ten days to pick up that gun! and again the News guy was leading them, But they wanted to know more about that Loophole they hear so much about!
There were about 20 people in that line, and the news guy interviewed at least 5 of them. He picked them, I assume He picked them because he could see that they were new. But at least 5 of the 20 were new gun buyers. DR
This is yet another example of how the leftist media leads people astray. A reporter for a New York liberal rag went undercover to a gun show a couple of years ago (I don't have a link) to expose the "gun show loophole." He discovered, much to his amazement, that not a single gun dealer there would sell him a gun without performing a background check. Imagine that. And to MY amazement, he actually reported this truthfully in his liberal rag.

I'm also hearing stories about gun owners having sheep asking them if they would sell them a gun. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm trying to comment on multitude of posts (sorry if this is for different thread).

For the country with 2A there is a new oxymoron:

legally own gun.

People, 2A protects your "owning gun" from government's infringements which are coming in the form of laws mentioning guns (or any arms for that matter).

Let all of us here saying "legally own gun" admit that we are not 100% for 2A, but to some extent only. Which is the same in my book as "not for 2A".

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't care about the panic gun buying, but what about the panic buying of reloader supplies. I'm in ok shape, but let my supply of primers get down to 3-4 months. I'd rather not switch powders right now so another 4 or 8 lbs of Sport Pistol would be nice, but no cigar. Oh well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is purely anecdotal, but I belong to several gun forums and I've been hearing from gun store dealers and employees who are saying this, that it's mostly first-timers. But then again, it may not be that first-time buyers are the majority, but only that they stick out more because they need more assistance.
Here is how I would support "first time buyers" centiment - to some extent at least. I heard there sounds to be panic buying. While driving around last week, I stopped by a couple of gun stores. I enter, see no long line to register, but "a couple of boxes" of ammo restriction. I take a couple, check out. I come to another one, I see long line outside waiting to be admitted inside. I turning about, driving on. I have allegedly enough supply I accumulated during "peace time". Either my supply will let me make through it, or I made wrong judgement back then when I made a supply.

This my experience suggests the sentiment of many "first time buyers", as opposed to people who are living with these tools for long time.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Why would someone stand in line (6 ft distance) for a chance to buy a gun at a store that was selling out while all this virus stuff going on? Any gun person already has several and plenty of ammo.
Any PREPARED gun person already has several and plenty of ammo. The problem is that so many gun people are NOT prepared. That is why so many gun owners are complaining about stuff being purchased because they can't get what they now think they are needing to get through the current crisis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon for most of them. Will they become responsible and conscience owners: or will they be on the edge ready to gun down anything that makes them nervous. Will a bunch of fly by night firearm instructors pop up ready to train them. :confused:

I think owning a gun is a conscience decision one should make not a panic buy like a pregnancy test or cold sore cream.
Some will turn in their guns to the nearest police station the next time there's a mass shooting, because normal people disarming themselves will stop homicidal maniacs through some magic.
Some will take guns seriously and learn to take gun rights seriously.

Buying your first gun is something often spurred by traumatic sorts of events. I was probably a gun person before I hit puberty, but I become a dedicated handgun/concealed carry guy when I heard about the 1999 Wedgewood Baptist shooting - that brought the reality home to me, I went to church all the time, that could happen to me.
Hopefully the noobs will be safe and sensible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here in Texas I see lots of pawn shops down to just junk guns!!! And such as Academy Sports are pretty lean on guns (and ammo!!) Don't bother me cause I got my guns and ammo LONG TIME AGO when Dollar Bill Clinton left office.

Funny thing is Dick's Sporting Goods, who got rid of all their guns, are not considered 'essential'... thus they are CLOSED! Hahahaha... Joke is on them!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
There was some interviews asking why they were buying a gun and they pretty admitted the fact. Most of the posters here (previous gun owners) stated they had enough ammo so the panic didn't affect them.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I had hoped to refresh/update some of my ammo, especially buck shot, in April, so, other than the inconvenience of having to postpone that plan, and therefore not having enough full-power shot shells to really, thoroughly function-test a new-to-me Benelli M2 Tactical, I am not overly concerned. (I can get full-power birdshot, but would like to run some number of buckshot shells, through it, too.)

It was nice to see that .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO seems to be in stock, so I may turn my attention to that.

Actually, as I am aging-out of shooting some of my pistols, that now hurt my hand, I may do some tradin’, converting a few compact 9mm pistols to a nice long gun.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts