Defensive Carry banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
Actually, as I am aging-out of shooting some of my pistols, that now hurt my hand, I may do some tradin’, converting a few compact 9mm pistols to a nice long gun.
As much as I love my Glock 30 and the .45, extended sessions of 100 rounds or more will put a hurtin' on the old wrists. I doubt I'll unload it for something else. It will still serve the purpose I bought it for.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
As much as I love my Glock 30 and the .45, extended sessions of 100 rounds or more will put a hurtin' on the old wrists. I doubt I'll unload it for something else. It will still serve the purpose I bought it for.
I understand; it is difficult to let go of trusty, proven pistols. In my case, I have already bought longer-gripped G17 and G19x pistols, to replace the G19 pistols that were hurting me. (The key, in my case, to avoiding pain and swelling, is to shoot pistols with a grip frame long enough to reach the “heel bone” of my right hand.) Realistically, anywhere I can reasonably conceal a G19, I can conceal a G17, as my concealment nemesis is the blocky rear of the Glock slide, which is the same, G26 through G34 in size.

So, in times such as these, when demand rises, I have a better chance of getting a better price, for my trades, and a lower price, for things that are in lesser demand. I have had a vacancy, for some time, for a battle rifle, chambered for one of the .30 cartridges, some of which have been in stock at a local FFL for some time.

I have some amount of .308 Winchester ammo on hand, for my BLRs, and have noticed that there is .308 on local shelves, and both .308 and 7.62 NATO available at the usual on-line sources. I reckon there are too few young, panicky “kids” who even know what .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO are, so there is less hoarding of such cartridges.

I have yet to decide. I may keep my one favored G19, with the best sights, and trade one or both of the other two, with which I have never “bonded.” I think I have found a relative who is interested in my 3rd-generation S&W pistols.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Americans have always bought guns...panic or not...generations of Americans. Some will be idiots. Others, I hope the large majority will buy, and learn to use or at least care for them responsibly. They don’t need professional trainers to teach them that, and I think the constant mantra of preaching the forum group think of the day, and/or the popular views of contemporary modern society at them is wearing old. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the country, before computers and social media were a thing, but I’ve seen a couple of generation learn of, buy and use firearms as a normal part of everyday living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?
I see people lined up in the streets (less than 6 feet apart) waiting to buy what I assume to be a defensive carry weapon for most of them. Will they become responsible and conscience owners: or will they be on the edge ready to gun down anything that makes them nervous. Will a bunch of fly by night firearm instructors pop up ready to train them. :confused:

I think owning a gun is a conscience decision one should make not a panic buy like a pregnancy test or cold sore cream.
My only concern is that they are causing prices to raise and availability to go down.

I do not get nervous about other people suddenly deciding to exercise their right. In fact, I can only hope that they have woken up to the reality that is our current situation in regards to gun control. I've heard some former gun control advocates are getting really upset when they find out the gun control laws they supported apply to THEM too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Am I the only one concerned about the panic to buy guns?
Me personally, don't really care. People that I am close to have had guns for a long time before this, those people who haven't - their choice to live like they want.
I have actually sold a couple of guns and several cases of ammo during this time...

·
Registered
485 Posts
While I understand that it is possible for a new gun owner to do something incredibly stupid such as draw on someone for coughing near them, I think such instances will be more uncommon than we think. The vast majority of people who purchase firearms for personal protection will buy a gun, maybe take it to the range a few times and then leave it sitting somewhere, thinking that simply having a gun in the house means that they have a solid home protection plan. I would guess that most of the firearms that were panic bought at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic are already collecting dust on nightstands and in sock drawers, if not they will be soon. I see the same happening for people who decided that now was the time to begin carrying a pistol. Most of them probably have discovered one of three truths of about concealed carry: 1. it's uncomfortable 2. it's expensive 3. it is harder to hit a target than Hollywood makes it look. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that people buying guns during this pandemic is largely the same as people buying guns during peacetime; most people won't put in the required effort, a few people will become responsible gun owners, and yes, a few will become irresponsible gun owners. I am betting that once things calm down, many liberal cities will have "buyback" programs aimed at people who panic bought guns, but now think guns are scary again. I think a large number of newly purchased firearms will end up there, or in a sock drawer.

The only concern that I do have with the number of new gun owners is the potential for negligence. Unfortunately, statistics guarantee that some of those new firearms will be left within a child's reach, be handled by a drunk, or something else along those lines. However, I think this will be a somewhat short lived risk for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All of us were new gun owners at one time. However, the huge difference between say, my paranoid, somewhat hysterical neighbor and myself, is maybe not so much the motivation as the process of becoming a new gun owner.

Before the "event", my neighbor had absolutely no interest in or clue about basic safety rules, firearm function and mindset, and has truly "put the cart before the horse".

Thankfully she has confided in me and is willing to hear, and hopefully take to heart, the suggestions that I've given her. Honestly though, I'm not sure she'll treat her new pistol any differently than she does her old umbrella :doh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd say if you had your eye on a type of firearm just wait till about December then you will most likely find a pristine example of it used with maybe at most a box of ammo put through it. well at least of the current types in production.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts