Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First of all, this isn't going to be a hate glock/ glock bashing post. I was just looking for some opinions. There are alot of things I like about the glock. I have a glock 23 that I have had for about 2 years. I don't get to shoot much and this has resulted in the 23 only getting fired a handful of times. I have come to the conclusion that the glock just may not be for me. I haven't really been able to get used to the trigger and tbh, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I can hit a target, but my shots aren't grouped that well. I like to believe that this is just attributed to my lack of practice with it since so many people rave about how accurate and amazing the glocks are. Another thing I thought about is that the gun hasn't officially been sighted in. I can shoot other single action pistols fine but haven't yet been able to get used to the glock. I'm just wondering if there are others out there like me. Maybe you could share a story about how you were able to get used to the gun or something. I would like to keep this gun and I really do like it. I love the reliability of the gun and the aftermarket support. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong and if there are others out there who have had similar experiences. Btw, I have installed a 3.5 lb trigger connector, and while this has helped, I still experience the same problem.

Thanks for the comments

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
You say you shoot SA just fine. Have you shot a lot of .40 s&w in other platforms? You could be flinching from the .40's snappy recoil. Or you may not have enough finger on the trigger. If you are used to shooting SA with the tip of your finger, you may need to move your finger so that you are on the middle of the pad instead.

Just a couple of thoughts. To me a GLOCK is a point-&-click tool. I can understand your frustration.

Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Roadrunner. You are probably reacting to the recoil of the 40! I had to get use to the very snappy recoil of my g22. I noticed my groupings were low left and after reading various posts here on the forum decided it was me reacting to the recoil (anticipating and jerking trigger). Just practice,relax and get used to the pistol and you should be OK. They are fine weapons...Good luck!:hand10:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I believe you found the answer yourself: "lack of practice". The 40 S&W is a snappy round and takes some getting used to. Dry firing certainly helps, as does a good firm grip. Get out there and shoot the crap out of the gun and you will get better.

Alternately, buy yourself a Lone Wolf conversion barrel, 40 S&W-9mm, and you will find a significant difference in controllability and recoil. You will need a 9mm mag from a G19.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is my first experience with the .40 caliber. Honestly, I think my 23 kicks just as bad, if not worse than my dads mag-na-ported gold cup .45. I actually haven't thought about reacting to the recoil. I try to make a conscious effort to fire every shot with a smooth squeeze of the trigger. I consciously try to avoid jerking but in this situation, I may very well be jerking the trigger. Something else that I thought might be contributing to the problem is the actual length of the trigger pull. The trigger pull isn't that heavy but the length may be whats getting me. There could be a possible loss of precision when the trigger resets after each shot and I have to pull the trigger that entire length again. Is there a way to control the trigger, as in not letting it return fully forward. If I could keep some pressure on the trigger and not allow it to return forward, I think I would be in a little better shape. I just don't see how this is possible because of the snappy recoil that has been mentioned.

Also, do you guys have any tips for sighting in a glock? I would assume that one would sight it in similar to any other pistol but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You're not the only one - I HATE the things! It may be a great pistol, but it doesn't fit my hand AT ALL and is actually uncomfortable to hold and shoot. So, I choose a different weapon and say "glad you like it" to the Glock lovers.

If it doesn't fit your hand and point naturally, you'll never get good groups. Yea, the .40 IS a little snappy, but nothing to write home about. It just takes a firm grip and some getting used to what to expect.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried Glocks. I shot them reasonably well, I could certainly pass any qualification course with one. But I never shot it as accurately as I have come to expect from my other sidearms. They are fine sidearms. But there is certainly something to ergonomics and how the shape and size of a frame fit your particular hand. I wouldn't think it would make so much difference that you "can't hit the broad side of a barn," but it could be that your groupings aren't as good as with other guns.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The grip angle is too extreme for me. It's fine to get used to if all you shoot are Glocks, but as soon as you pick up an XD or something else you'll be aiming high. It just doesnt feel natural in the hand to me. Otherwise they are great guns.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
One of the most-accurate pistols I have ever shot was a first generation Glock 19. Though, for me, the controls are too small and stiff, and the ergonomics aren't quite right. The grip and frame are just too fat and protrude in all the wrong places, for my hand to be comfortable. Compared to a Browning Hi-Power, it feels like I'm holding a plastic brick. Otherwise, it points well, shoots well, is reliable and accurate. And it does those things better than most, at least for me. Given the ergonomic aspects, the G19 isn't for me. Haven't owned a Glock and I doubt I ever will, so long as the ergonomics are basically the same.

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
You're not the only one - I HATE the things! It may be a great pistol, but it doesn't fit my hand AT ALL and is actually uncomfortable to hold and shoot. So, I choose a different weapon and say "glad you like it" to the Glock lovers.
I fit into the same category, I have rented and shot a few, never cared for anything about a Glock.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I agree with Roadrunner. You are probably reacting to the recoil of the 40! I had to get use to the very snappy recoil of my g22. I noticed my groupings were low left and after reading various posts here on the forum decided it was me reacting to the recoil (anticipating and jerking trigger). Just practice,relax and get used to the pistol and you should be OK. They are fine weapons...Good luck!:hand10:
Low and to the left seems to be common and not just with a .40 cal. handgun. I don't think it is the Glock. I agree with the finger placement on the trigger.

Historically, I shoot certain name brand pistols better than others even where others who shoot my guns are perfectly fine shooting the guns I prefer not to carry or shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Until recently I would have said "Me Too!"
I had some range time with the G21 and the G30 and was not happy with the feel and/or my performance with either. I recently got some quality time with a G23 and will probably be adding one to my collection in the near future.

·
Registered
93 Posts

If it doesn't fit your hand and point naturally, you'll never get good groups. Yea, the .40 IS a little snappy, but nothing to write home about. It just takes a firm grip and some getting used to what to expect.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
I have to agree I too have never been comfortable with the Glock in any caliber. I have shot well with them and qualified with them but never felt right in my hand. I carry a Sig for EDC and love it, it feels right and shoots great. I have shot the Glock and Sig in the 40 and the Sig just feels better (although I went with the 45). I think it all boils down to what you feel fits best for me it is Sig for others Glock they both great firearms. Find what fits you and you can fire well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well ,ok then. I have the exact opposite problem.
I love Glocks and have carried one for years. I agree they aren't the best looking weapon and I have tried several times to go another route but every gun I have bought other then a Glock I have been disappointed in one way or the other, even if it was just a lack of confidence in it, even unfounded.
I wish I could have and be happy with something else but it just isn't going to happen.
My wife gets after me if I ever mention something other because she knows it will end up getting sold at a loss.
Sig, XD's, M&P's, Kimber, Kahr, Snubbies you name it. I just can't seem to relax without a Glock.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Thanks for the replies. This is my first experience with the .40 caliber. Honestly, I think my 23 kicks just as bad, if not worse than my dads mag-na-ported gold cup .45. I actually haven't thought about reacting to the recoil. I try to make a conscious effort to fire every shot with a smooth squeeze of the trigger. I consciously try to avoid jerking but in this situation, I may very well be jerking the trigger. Something else that I thought might be contributing to the problem is the actual length of the trigger pull. The trigger pull isn't that heavy but the length may be whats getting me. There could be a possible loss of precision when the trigger resets after each shot and I have to pull the trigger that entire length again. Is there a way to control the trigger, as in not letting it return fully forward. If I could keep some pressure on the trigger and not allow it to return forward, I think I would be in a little better shape. I just don't see how this is possible because of the snappy recoil that has been mentioned.

Also, do you guys have any tips for sighting in a glock? I would assume that one would sight it in similar to any other pistol but I thought I'd ask.
Empty the gun...rack the slide and pull the trigger. Rack the slide again while holding the trigger. Then let out slowly until you hear a "click" that is trigger reset. Do this exercise for awhile and youwill be able to get much faster and more accurate follow up shots. Plus dry fire exercises will get you to stop anticipating the recoil, and "milking" your trigger that is causing your low, left shots. I EDC the same gun. Practice truly makes perfect. You dont use it you lose it.:bier:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep, proper shooting form (get a coach or video camera to diagnose) will make or break how well you shoot and favor a firearm.
I have tried to buy a glock for years now. They are reliable well made shoot well but I just dont like how it feels in my hand. I get very uncomfortable when I hold one to fire. So its not for me, actually aggravates me a little, but great pistol.
It's most definately not the whole polymer thing either. I have a number of other brands that are polymer and I like them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Don't feel bad. I never could get used to the Glock trigger. Went back to single action pistols. I have a couple of single/da pistols that I can work well but they don't have a trigger like a Glock. That is why there are blonds, brunetts and red heads. Some thing for everyone.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You might want to try shooting from the reset and not letting the trigger all the way out after every shot. Check your grip and make sure your grip is as high as you can get it and use a thumbs forward hold. Practice makes perfect...or darn near so shoot it as often as you can. That goes for any brand.
Glocks aren't for everyone for lots of reasons but I've never met anyone yet that couldn't be taught to shoot one reasonably well, in little time. Even those that hate them.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I never liked the look or feel of Glocks. I was sold on my Kimbers, until...I discovered the Glock-36. It fit my had like a glove...perfect fit.
It was this first Glock that got my attention.
During a point shooting course, I realized the big difference between the grip angles of Glocks and 1911's. I obviously already knew of the difference in grip angle, but when point shooting and trying to develop muscle memory...it makes all the difference in the world. I eventually decided to make the Glock my EDC. Now my Glock is the only gun I want to carry. More Glocks are in my future.:yup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts