Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10$ frost cutlery knife ive had for 3 years and it holds a blade great. I dont see why everyone thinks expensive = good quailty

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
IMO, quality isn't the same as cost. Though, with cost often comes improved features such as suitability to task.

For some years, now, I've had either a Spyderco Delica or Native in my pocket. Exceedingly sharp, light, strong. Far more importantly, it matches the task well. At less than $50, I, too, can't see spending any more in order to get a name and perhaps some features that won't make much difference.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I have a ton of $10 knives including two autos I picked up at the local gun show that are awesome. I'd put any of my $10 knives up against any by Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or anything else. I also have two Spyderco Delicas that I picked up at a gun show for about $35 OTD and feel they are just as quality as any folder going for $100+.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
My two Kershaws have never given me problems...and I use one of them daily (the other stays in SD mode)...after 4 years, both are still extremely sharp. They weren't $10 knives, but not that expensive either.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anything that can cut more than butter when you need it is a good knife regardless of price.

·
Administrator
143,961 Posts
"Am I the only one who thinks my 10$ knife works the best?"

Probably. :wink:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've got some good cheapos that do the trick. Mostly autos that I grabbed on an impulse buy. I usually carry either a Spyderco Native or Kershaw Chive. They weren't too expensive (under $50) and are excellent quality knives. With that being said, I've been eyeballing a Benchmade 3550 auto for some carry duty. Can't ever have enough toys. :image035:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have a bunch of Frost Cutlery knives sitting in a drawer. I have a friend that keeps buying the big sets they advertise on TV somewhere, so he gives me one or two everytime I see him. Quality is all over with these. Some aren't bad, some are so cheaply made that I wouldn't use them to cut cardboard. Even the better ones have questionable strength in the lockup and the frames or lack of a frame that gives them no lateral strength. Good for simple cutting chores but compared to even a cheap Benchmade import, they are flimsy.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Back when I had more money than brains, I purchased three Microtech auto-blades. The two larger 4-inch were $410.00 and the smaller 3-inch was like’ $300 or so. Seem like a good idea at the time. I still have them and they just returned from the factory again after being sharpened. Frankly, I need three knives like I need a hole in the head.
Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that knives are like everything else. You can buy good quality for $50 or less but you can buy supreme quality for much (much) more. The end result is typically a performance level difference of 1-2% at best, but it's enough if you think you need it or attach some valuation to an items worth based directly upon cost.

For the fishermen out there, think of it as the difference between a G-Loomis and a Sage rod.

In my opinion, most "blade tests" are a load of bovine excrement. While I can appreciate that people test these things for us, I honestly don't see myself using any knife I own as an ad hoc springboard, a folder for pull-ups, or using any type of tool (let alone an edged one) not designed for the task to break apart masonry. Why people think that their blade has to do this stuff, and thus create a valuation of a blades quality upon such ridiculousness, is a complete mystery to me.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that knives are like everything else. You can buy good quality for $50 or less but you can buy supreme quality for much (much) more. The end result is typically a performance level difference of 1-2% at best, but it's enough if you think you need it or attach some valuation to an items worth based directly upon cost.

For the fishermen out there, think of it as the difference between a G-Loomis and a Sage rod.

In my opinion, most "blade tests" are a load of bovine excrement. While I can appreciate that people test these things for us, I honestly don't see myself using any knife I own as an ad hoc springboard, a folder for pull-ups, or using any type of tool (let alone an edged one) not designed for the task to break apart masonry. Why people think that their blade has to do this stuff, and thus create a valuation of a blades quality upon such ridiculousness, is a complete mystery to me.
I'd think the percentage is probably a lot more than 1-2% but I'd agree most will never need that increase. I'm more than happy with my $50-$100 knives. They do all I've asked them to do which isn't much more than cutting a rubber innertube, rope or boxes and such. Some people do have a need for a tougher knife and they are out there at a bit more cost. Some folks just like nice knives of the best quality.

I'd say to the OP or any others that are happy with a $10 knife, that's great. It works well for what you ask of it, same as my $50+ knives do for me. I'm not going to state mine are as good or better than say an Emerson. It wouldn't be the truth but they are good enough for my purposes.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I have a 10$ frost cutlery knife ive had for 3 years and it holds a blade great. I dont see why everyone thinks expensive = good quailty
I agree. I use all of my pocket knives, and I don't ever remember paying more than $30 for one. I've been using a $12 Winchester pocket knife at work for about three years in a very demanding environment and still depend on it almost daily and never sharpened it. I've also been brutal with it at times and used the back of the blade to turn slotted screws. If I would have bought it myself it might not have lasted this long, but the company paid for it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hear 'ya Saber, but....

Back when I had more money than brains, I purchased three Microtech auto-blades. The two larger 4-inch were $410.00 and the smaller 3-inch was like’ $300 or so. Seem like a good idea at the time. I still have them and they just returned from the factory again after being sharpened. Frankly, I need three knives like I need a hole in the head.
Regards,
still, I just can't think of much any cooler than my Microtech Makora! That precision 'surefire' action feels great!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a ton of $10 knives including two autos I picked up at the local gun show that are awesome. I'd put any of my $10 knives up against any by Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or anything else. I also have two Spyderco Delicas that I picked up at a gun show for about $35 OTD and feel they are just as quality as any folder going for $100+.
Perhaps, but what you do for a good "name dropper" to talk about?
:danceban:

As to me, I have the name dropper knives, but use only the $10 knives. Now I ask you -- does that make sense.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The difference in a ten dollar knife and a fifty dollar knife is, if you do your homework, about 500%. I've got everything from the stone/antler/sinew reproductions (and you'd be surprised how well they do the job they were created to do) to the Tanto bladed/assisted opening/tactical design to the 512 layer Damascus sheath types. At a minimum fifty pieces from small pocket types to Bowies (I like big Bowies, I cannot lie) to Machetes. I have a few cheaper knives that turned out to be excellent users. They're the exception rather than the rule. If you got a ten dollar whiz bang Ginsu/Samurai knife that never needs sharpening and will field dress a half dozen deer and then skin an over ripe tomato and you got it for ten bucks "you da man".

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
... That precision 'surefire' action feels great!
Now here's the real issue. Some of us who are real quality geeks, tend to buy the best no matter what. I hate to admit it but I also own a $150.00 single-cell flashlight.
Regards, :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Saber,

Now here's the real issue. Some of us who are real quality geeks, tend to buy the best no matter what. I hate to admit it but I also own a $150.00 single-cell flashlight.
Regards, :icon_neutral:
I feel your pain. Mean it! :wink:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you got a ten dollar whiz bang Ginsu/Samurai knife that never needs sharpening and will field dress a half dozen deer and then skin an over ripe tomato and you got it for ten bucks "you da man".
Ya know, that's one thing I keep hearing that puzzles me. How can you guys use these things on a daily basis and not have to sharpen them? Even the better grade of steels need sharpened after some use and the cheap steels get dull quickly. I have a Buck 110 I use at work a lot for cutting rubber, plastics and cardboard and I have to sharpen it a couple times a month at least.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts