Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Pros,

How's this look for an amateur??? It's my second attempt. The first worked pretty good, after many tweeks and changes. It sure makes a difference in comfort having it so big (better). It conceals that full size Taurus superbly, even under a T-shirt.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Not a pro, but nice looking holster you made.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Kudos Jarhead79

Jarhead
I love to see people grab the bull by the horns & craft their own serviceable personal leather stuff.
I also love to see people jump right in & tackle jobs that most folks won't even attempt.:congrats:
My sincere Kudos go out to you.
It looks like a good workable holster that will do exactly what you designed it to do which would be to securely hold your specific firearm in your desired location without digging into your body.
So it looks entirely functional but, could stand some minor cosmetic cleanup.
Since you obviously already have the admirable drive & motivation to do your own leather work...were I you ~ I would invest some extremely minor money in a few "hand leather tools" that will allow you to cosmetically perfect your finished product.
Then you'll sure be able to make all of your own holsters from now on.
I'll be taking some photos of a knife sheath that I just started for my own personal, vintage CASE XX knife.
I started it this weekend & you'll be able to grab a few tips from those forum pics coming very soon.
Look for that forum thread in a few days.
I'm not sure to what degree the upcoming holiday will impede my progress on that knife sheath but, I'm going to try to finish it soon.
In the meantime ENJOY carrying your firearm in the holster that You Made For Yourself!
Which I think is just great.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jar - very creditable effort I would say. I made one or two rigs way back - and that was with some help and guidance from a leather-working buddy. It is not as easy as some might think!

Aesthetics are in a sense secondary to function - and if that is achieved then it is what matters most. Looks can come later with practice. You made a good job of that.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is an IWB, so I really don't care what it looks like as most of you said. Plus it was lower end leather, but nice and thick.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Look's like a Tucker Texas Heritage kinda! Nice job amigo. A picture makes it hard to tell but I would try molding the leather better to the gun were the impressions of the gun are visible thoughout the holster. I think it helps in securing a weapon better! What am I talking about I have never even considered making a holster for myself:twak: It look's like a good start, how about a pic of the first holster attempt? :smile:

Ti.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jarhead,
I think that looks very good. Congratulations on completing your own creation.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Very nice job! I've done a little (very little) leatherwork making knife sheaths, so I know how difficult it is. My projects were much simpler and didn't turn out nearly as well.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Hey Jarhead

Have you seen the Mark Garrity line of holsters yet?
Click on the link in his comment post & have a gander.
That's quite a "thumbs up" that you just got from him...iffen he just said that your early holster attempt is better than his was. :image035:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts