Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime last year, I got on a kick to see how much I could improve my defensive oriented shooting. It started out just a fun way to break up my shooting routine, then it got to be a challenge, and I could not stop.

I figured instead of going to a bunch of different training venues, I would gather various drills that are said to be a reliable yardstick of proficiency used by some schools and experts, and attempt to pass them.

Got to admit, in the beginning I realized I was definitely not measuring up.

As of today, and almost a year later, I am happy to report that I can pass the Wizard Drill, Bill Drill, 5x5 Drill, and the Valor Ridge testing criteria with the G26 with AIWB.

Today with the 1911, I passed the Wizard Drill clean on the first attempt, and only dropped one point with the j frame at 10 yards.

I was able to accomplish this by doing only the Wizard Drill or 5x5 drill (5 shots each x 2 per week).
Also, I think investing in a timer was the best thing I could have ever done. It gave me an artificial stress inducer and a way to measure progress. It is to a practice session what a chronograph is to a handloader.

I didnt fire a boatload of rounds, or spend much time on the drills, but doing them each week, without fail really has helped get me way ahead of where I was a year ago.

The downside is, target shooting no longer is as much fun.

My next challenge is the FAST drill.

·
Premium Member
34,311 Posts
Drills skills can almost become addictive, without eating up gobs of ammo. They are about all I do any more in my daily shooting.

Here is the FAST drill:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Dry fire practice made an amazing difference in my competitive shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drills skills can almost become addictive, without eating up gobs of ammo. They are about all I do any more in my daily shooting.

Here is the FAST drill:

I expect this one to be a real challenge for me, especially since I don’t practice reloads.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Proven with most any skill that patience, practice, and determination will produce results. Good for you that you have all three !!!

Reactions: G-man*

·
Premium Member
34,311 Posts
I expect this one to be a real challenge for me, especially since I don’t practice reloads.
Dave Spaulding's Combative Pistol course, which I took a few weeks ago, features some two chances and done skill tests at the end of the second day. My reload skills did not prove to be my strong suit.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I agree 110 %. I've been shooting about 10-15 rounds a week for a couple of years. And that's going to the (outdoor) range two times a week. I just run a drill or two and leave. That's it. The rest of my training is done at home with 5-10 minute daily dryfire drills.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Thanks G man. I have gotten to where I can do the wizard drill with a full sized gun. and sometimes with a J frame. The secret for me was getting a good grip exactly the same way each time. And you are right, that part required very little ammo. Just good practice done often. DR

·
Premium Member
34,311 Posts
Sometime last year, I got on a kick to see how much I could improve my defensive oriented shooting. It started out just a fun way to break up my shooting routine, then it got to be a challenge, and I could not stop.

I figured instead of going to a bunch of different training venues, I would gather various drills that are said to be a reliable yardstick of proficiency used by some schools and experts, and attempt to pass them.

Got to admit, in the beginning I realized I was definitely not measuring up.

As of today, and almost a year later, I am happy to report that I can pass the Wizard Drill, Bill Drill, 5x5 Drill, and the Valor Ridge testing criteria with the G26 with AIWB.

Today with the 1911, I passed the Wizard Drill clean on the first attempt, and only dropped one point with the j frame at 10 yards.

I was able to accomplish this by doing only the Wizard Drill or 5x5 drill (5 shots each x 2 per week).
Also, I think investing in a timer was the best thing I could have ever done. It gave me an artificial stress inducer and a way to measure progress. It is to a practice session what a chronograph is to a handloader.

I didnt fire a boatload of rounds, or spend much time on the drills, but doing them each week, without fail really has helped get me way ahead of where I was a year ago.

The downside is, target shooting no longer is as much fun.

My next challenge is the FAST drill.
Did you see much improvement in your time coming to presentation out of the holster? That has long been a tough area for me, only recently resolved to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
18,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you see much improvement in your time coming to presentation out of the holster? That has long been a tough area for me, only recently resolved to my satisfaction.
Yes, I did.
And the big surprise to me was that from 3-7 yards, a strong hand only presentation is faster and without any significant accuracy difference.
This is where I also had my first experience with a failure to engage the grip safety on the Gov model 1911 set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts