Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in NY state, still not so good.. went to Sportmans Warehouse the other day, to full shelves of ammo, with no one exploiting them, and a working putting out a pile of new stuff jamming it in the already full shelves... Here's where the problem was- it was all long gun ammo, of every size and description.. NO .380, except for expensive SD stuff, and no variety just lots of boxes of one brand,, they had W white box 9 MM in 100 round boxes, and thats it, nothing else except expensive SD stuff and only one brand.. Lots of it just no variety.. NO .22 LR of any type, not a single box, but piles of 1 brand of .22 WMR, and even some of that .22 center fire stuff.. i have not seen a single box of .32 or .25 in probaly close to 2 years, and for those that carry these weapons [I do] I have no idea where it can be bought.. So there's ammo around in my area, and if you are a hunter you are ok, but shooting a pistol at the range?/.. forget it, i hope you have a nice backlog, because outside of 9mm, I still am not seeing anything loally... Wondering how it is elsewhere.. I might consider a road trip!.... bob

·
Premium Member
39,186 Posts
I do all my ammo buying through Ammoseek, which I don't believe to be an option in New York.

Rural King was stuffing their shelves the other day when I walked through. Plenty of stuff, all very high dollar.

Reactions: Mike in Texas

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
LGS…
Been pretty much empty on .38 Special, .45 Long Colt, .30-30, .30.06 and of course, much of the bird shot for shotguns(Dove season). Everything else is pretty well stocked with good selections. Prices have come down too, though not near as low as they used to be.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Most of the stores here have some ammo. Mostly rifle/shotgun. Pistol ammo is available but expensive. I resorted to ordering online. Mostly from a company called Fin, Feather and Fur. They rotate there sales items, so you need to watch what they are. I recently purchased 400 rounds of Winchester Super X .22lr for under $50. Which in this area is excellent. I’ve also purchased some 12ga ammo from them. Big thing is watch for the sale items.😀

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
It's hit or miss around here. 9mm seems to be especially hard to get. In general, popular handgun calibers are in short supply. Seems to be getting better with rifle and shotgun ammo, though.

·
Registered
45,369 Posts
I don't shop for ammo, choosing to roll my own. So I have no idea of availability in local stores.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I have not been to our LGS for a month or so. They did have some on the shelves but not like good times and I did not check prices. They were still limited on powder and had no primers at that point. I do want to stop this weekend and see what they have for both of those items.

I usually shop for mine in my cellar where I store what I have reloaded and new stuff I bought when times were good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do all my ammo buying through Ammoseek, which I don't believe to be an option in New York.

Rural King was stuffing their shelves the other day when I walked through. Plenty of stuff, all very high dollar.
I'm with Mike, Most all of my ammo purchases are online through Ammoseek

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
CCI and Federal sell ammo directly from their websites, subject to availability - which is unpredictable.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
.....a lot of folks out there are trying new/different loads for carry and for hunting.....simply because they can not get what they normally use......going to some folks this year using partition or Barnes bullets in their 30-30.....that swore they would never pay $50/for a box of shells.....

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
The common calibers are available if you’re willing to pay for them. I bought 2 100rd box’s of wwb a few days ago and it was like $130 at academy. Now that I know how much they want for it I probably won’t buy more.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,468 Posts
The LGS has been getting more ammo in recently. The wholesale prices are what the retail prices were before Biden and the pandemic. The most requested ammo here currently is 7mm magnum for deer hunting. There is none available.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I’m REALLY surprised that folks are still not finding .22 Lr ammo. Here, in this soggy garden spot of these United States, about our only option for ammo is Walmart. At least in this county.

The Walmart here for …at least a couple months now, there has been goodly amounts of good brand, .22 Lr on the shelves, at decent prices. At first it would be gone in an instant, now its apt to sit there for days. And, its being restocked within days of being sold out.

Last time I was there, I bought two boxes of Rem core lockt (or something), 30.30. On that they had a 2 box limit, but I hadn’t see 30.30 in a LONG time.

If you want .22 Lr, decent brands, and prices, I’d hit Walmart.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I’m REALLY surprised that folks are still not finding .22 Lr ammo. Here, in this soggy garden spot of these United States, about our only option for ammo is Walmart. At least in this county.

The Walmart here for …at least a couple months now, there has been goodly amounts of good brand, .22 Lr on the shelves, at decent prices. At first it would be gone in an instant, now its apt to sit there for days. And, its being restocked within days of being sold out.

Last time I was there, I bought two boxes of Rem core lockt (or something), 30.30. On that they had a 2 box limit, but I hadn’t see 30.30 in a LONG time.

If you want .22 Lr, decent brands, and prices, I’d hit Walmart.
What kind of pricing on the 30-30?

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I don't shop for ammo, choosing to roll my own. So I have no idea of availability in local stores.
That is one of the main reasons I switched to revolvers. When you roll your own brass is the biggest cost if you have to replace it.
I don’t lose brass with revolvers.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Getting better. Kind of. Heard of a brick of .22 asking 75.00 in Astoria. Crazy. People go insane on the coast out here . Insane but what do ya expect in a blue State, common sense ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
A Sportsman Warehouse opened in my area recently. Grand opening last Wednesday. Opening day special sale: Blazer Brass 9mm 115 grain JHP on sale for $11.99. Two boxes of 50 per day for three days. I scored on Wednesday and Thursday, along with some CCI .22 LR. Went back last Friday, all sale 9mm gone and much of the non sale selections. I bought a 100 round box of Remington .38 +P ( at currrent markup) and a couple more boxes of .22LR. Went by today, now all of the .22 LR is gone. Picked up another box of .38 +P and some 'Rio" # 4 buckshot @ a pretty good price. There seems to be a good amount of shotgun field loads and slugs and various buckshot. Still a nice selection of rifle ammo. I might swing by tomorrow to see if any of that #4 buck is left. Nice to see full racks and display cases full of firearms ... not sure how long it will last.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts