Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have shot and use Gold Dot 230gr in my .45's and it does well in what I have. Read a lot of good things about Gold Dot and like to stick with it for my carry guns.

After researching, I'm wondering if I should switch to the .45 Gold Dot 200gr +P (I'm unable to find +P in 230gr Gold Dot). Will be used in short barrel's - G30 (3.8") & XD-s (3.3").

Would I be better off with the +P in these short barrels? Sacrifice weight but gain velocity...? What would you do, why?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
My carry loads, both 9mm and .45 acp, are all at least +Ps. I don't get too wrapped up in the grains.

Reactions: dp1911

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Interesting that the 3.8" G30 would be considered short barrel. I never considered my P220 carry or P229 (3.9") to be short barreled. Is a 4" revolver short barreled too?

Anyhow, would a +P round be "better"? Probably in at least a small way. Can you shoot it well enough from a lightweight gun to make it count? IE: get quality shots quickly enough? That's what I would be interested to learn.

According to Ammoseek, there may not be much +P Gold dot out there right now. There are a few places that have their short barrel load though.

45acp ammo handgun Speer 230 grains

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting that the 3.8" G30 would be considered short barrel. I never considered my P220 carry or P229 (3.9") to be short barreled. Is a 4" revolver short barreled too?

Anyhow, would a +P round be "better"? Probably in at least a small way. Can you shoot it well enough from a lightweight gun to make it count? IE: get quality shots quickly enough? That's what I would be interested to learn.

According to Ammoseek, there may not be much +P Gold dot out there right now. There are a few places that have their short barrel load though.

45acp ammo handgun Speer 230 grains
Other places I've read call something below 4" a "short barrel". I assume because they're tested with a 5" barrel.
Yes, everything is as should be as far as shooter goes - would the +P with lower grain weight be better? 230gr / 200gr +P out of the 2, which would you pick (yes if you could shoot both of them well)

I see no reason to go to +P on the 230 Gr. Gold dots.
(Sorry, I think I read your post wrong)
I'd love to go with the 230 +P, but so far only able to find the GD .45 +P in either 180gr or 200gr.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I don't know, some tests of +p vs standard ammo I've seen tend to not be that impressive. A short barrel 45 is still going to be a big hunk of lead going slow. If you're a speed nut, go with Liberty Defense. Though what it does to body armor and what it does to a body might be entirely different. Otherwise, just stick to the grand old 230 and call it a day. If the bullet expands properly (and it will in a short barrel .45 with quality ammo), the bad guy isn't going to react differently from standard to +p. Just my two pennies.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Honestly, I don't think about it a whole lot. I like to go to the heavy side when I can. 124gr and up in 9mm, 165gr and up in 40S&W, and 230gr in 45ACP. I may stray if I find a really good price, or if it's all that's available. Gold Dots and HST are my preference. I buy +P in 45 when if I can find it when I need it. I usually don't buy it in 9mm, as I try to shoot the same ammo across all my guns of the same caliber. +P in my P938 is more than I like to shoot. Just last week I got 4 boxes of 124gr HST, and two of 230gr GD. The GD is to replenish after shooting through all the 230+P HST I had.

IIRC the 230gr+P GD's were available a few weeks ago at SGammo.com, but they seem to sell quick. You might want to keep an eye on them and Target Sports USA. They both usually have the best price and availability.

Reactions: dp1911

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've use the Ruger ARX .45 acp on my Colt Combat Commander, series 70 with 4.25" barrel. 118 grs, moving @ 1300+fps; 500+ft/lbs. The big and fat boolit is a good penetrator and excellent for winter use and will go through a good amount of clothing. See utube ballistic tests.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
A WHOLE lot of folks have got it exactly bass-ackwards when it comes to the bullet-weight-vs-barrel-length debate. Run the numbers & there is no question that a heavier bullet is the best choice in a shorter barrel.

Reactions: Nmuskier and sgb

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
The revolver is measured from the rear of the barrel to the muzzle, so it is true barrel length. The automatics are measured from the breech to the muzzle, so the length of the chamber is included. That means you can subtract at least 1.25 from the barrel to get what is actually rifled. 2.55 is pretty short.

I agree with @Kilowatt33 Heavier bullets better maintain momentum out of the reduced velocity of short barrels. Modern JHP tend to be less velocity dependent and should reliably expand. In any case, I'd never go with lead free.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm new here and in no way close to knowing all i should about ammunition but if a round of Liberty ammo coming out of a 38 SPL will do this to a block of clay what would a round from a .45 do?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Take a look at Underwood Ammo; he uses Gold Dot, XTP and Nosler bullets. He has loads for the Gold Dots in 185gr. +P, 200gr. +P and 230gr. +P.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a Springfield Armory xdm 3.8C .45 and I have found that the Federal HST 230 shoots a bit softer than the Gold Dot 230.
I bought boxes of the two and a box of the Remington Golden Sabers and the Federal HST was by far the best "feeling"
round to shoot out of my XDM. Now I just load up on the HST's :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The 200 grain gold dot plus P will get the job done! I killed a 200 plus pound hog with them. Purchase with confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I'm new here and in no way close to knowing all i should about ammunition but if a round of Liberty ammo coming out of a 38 SPL will do this to a block of clay what would a round from a .45 do?
The more important question is, what will it do to a flesh and bone attacker?

The temporary cavity does not inflict injury at handgun velocities. The very light projectile penetrates less reliably. Mass delivers the momentum necessary to carry the projectile through varying density media to stop vital organs.

230gr Gold Dots are fine. 200gr +P are good too, but may not be worth the shopping trip for your compact guns.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts

You've got to watch that kind of thing. Marketing and testing not in a body aren't the same as plowing through tissue and bone and muscle, after plowing through whatever barrier there may be such as clothes or walls. This stuff is great for body armor but, from what all I've heard of it, basically acts as a frangible bullet once it actually gets inside the body. Clay isn't a human body with differing textures and mass,

·
Registered
642 Posts
You've got to watch that kind of thing. Marketing and testing not in a body aren't the same as plowing through tissue and bone and muscle, after plowing through whatever barrier there may be such as clothes or walls. This stuff is great for body armor but, from what all I've heard of it, basically acts as a frangible bullet once it actually gets inside the body. Clay isn't a human body with differing textures and mass,
i believe that to be true but the initial shock wave on impact must be devastating, i saw a video of a 45 cal Liberty round pick up a block of clear gel and move it and inch or three, 45 cal slugs have be clocked at 1900 fps.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Oh it will still make a person take notice. Frangible rounds are quite deadly should a little piece of metal nick a major artery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts