Defensive Carry banner

What ammo do you carry in your extra mag?

• Same Hollow point as whats cocked and locked.

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • High quality FMJ ammo

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Different brand\grain hollow point ammo

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I dont carry an extra mag!

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this poll works , its my first time making one on this forum.:embarassed:

My question to you all is would it be smart, or should I say do any of you carry an extra mag with the oposite of whats in your carry gun. Meaning if your carrying cocked and locked with hollow point defensive ammo, do you carry an extra mag with high quality FMJ rounds?

Just in case there was something you needed to shoot that the hollow points wouldnt penatrate?

Weird question i guess but i was just wondering what you guys thought.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snake shot would be nice while camping. You know, for thouse un-expected visitors that like to hisssssss and such...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Exact same as in loaded mag in gun.

Consistency A thru Z :smilez:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I carry 230gr Federal HydraShoks in both of my 1911's as well as the extra mags I'm carrying.

If that isn't enough for the job at hand, it will allow me time and a lead storm in his direction to get to the shottie in the trunk of my car. I don't know of much that will stand up to a 437gr slug.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
P95Carry said:
Exact same as in loaded mag in gun.

Consistency A thru Z :smilez:
+1:yup:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What I would like to hear is a REALLY understandable reason for someone to carry different ammo in the spare mag as they do in the inserted mag. Hey,either your ammo is what you need to do the job or not. I can just see it now.......Let's see, a car door,let me pull out mag"A",now the BG has stepped outta the car so let me quickly(?) switch to mag"B",now he's moved off to kinda outta range so now I gotta dig up mag"C".Oops, a GG has moved in behind him,overpenetration ???,gotta change mags quick.This is all way to confusing. Ya'll go for it. For me it's same weapon,same mag,same ammo,same holster,indexed at the same position on my belt. And ALSO while I'm on a rant,same fightin' knife,in the same sheith,same position on the belt. This every(normal) day. -------

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RSSZ said:
What I would like to hear is a REALLY understandable reason for someone to carry different ammo in the spare mag as they do in the inserted mag. Hey,either your ammo is what you need to do the job or not. I can just see it now.......Let's see, a car door,let me pull out mag"A",now the BG has stepped outta the car so let me quickly(?) switch to mag"B",now he's moved off to kinda outta range so now I gotta dig up mag"C".Oops, a GG has moved in behind him,overpenetration ???,gotta change mags quick.This is all way to confusing. Ya'll go for it. For me it's same weapon,same mag,same ammo,same holster,indexed at the same position on my belt. And ALSO while I'm on a rant,same fightin' knife,in the same sheith,same position on the belt. This every(normal) day. -------

:gah: Point taken.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about mixing ammo types in the same mag? You know, alternating JHP/FMJ/frangible/EFMJ, etc. (pick any two...). I've heard of this done with the idea being that for every couple shots fired, at least one will be perfectly suited to the occasion. For example - when firing a couple of shots at a BG in heavy winter clothing maybe the FMJ will adequately penetrate where the JHP wouldn't, while with a lightly clad BG the JHP will have maximum effect while the FMJ passes through. I could see doing this (assuming you'd tested for function) before I could see carrying a mag of one and a mag of another.

That said, what's in my spare mag is what's in my gun (all JHP's) and I have no intention of doing anything differently. But I have heard of the above and thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
same ammo...

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Same ammo for gun and spares.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I keep the same ammo in my spare mag., on or off duty.
But an old vet. at the the PD told me to put a spare mag. of fmj's
in the glove box for hard targets.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
ron8903, 10-4 that.Spare mags,spare ammo ok to have in the standby mode. I carry a dry box with 50rds. of .45ACP tracer in my swamp boat. When I carry my Bushmaster Carbon 15 on a "hunt" I have some M855's with me also. They will penetrate anything that needs penetrating. I also have 20rds of API handy. -------

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I carry the same ammo in spare mags that I have in the gun...When traveling I also have a mag of FMJ for the 10mm handy in case I need to punch auto glass or vehicle body. The only ammo mixing I do is with the shotgun, don't really know why but I keep it loaded 2-00, 4-000, 2 slugs and in the side saddle I have 4-000 and 2 slugs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Same ammo, but I guess as usual I'm odd because I only use FMJ. The only time I've used different is kind of like F350. When I had a sidesaddle on my riot gun, the front two were slugs. These weren't necessarily there for defensive encounters, more for when I needed range on feral critters. Anymore (and since I live in a different place), it's all buckshot.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
So who carries only one extra mag?:embarassed:

Seriously, the only time I've alternated was when I lived in a not-so-nice area of Houston. I carried Hirtenberger sub-gun rounds, in a G-19, while driving, with two mags of Corbon spare. The Hirt will beat a pistol to death, with a steady diet, but it will readily punch through cardoors, and into the other side. Avoidance is always the best option, but like the man said, "I don't wanna die fer lack of shootin' back!":danceban:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts