1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Not going to happen....

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I've never worried about ammo going off due to extreme heat in the car.

But I do wonder if prolonged exposure to heat or cold has any effect on basically degrading the components in a cartridge.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
I live in an extremely hot area. There are two things I worry about. The heat will melt my bullet lube and foul the powder charge or the heat will over time degrade the powder. Powder company's say that degrading process starts at about 150 degrees. I know from past experience that the cab of my service truck parked out in a asphalt lot will get to 150 degrees pretty quickly. So I keep ammo in a foam ice chest. And in the hottest days if I have to leave my gun Ill put it in there too. When I compete on hot days Ill keep my ammo cool too. With rifle rounds that are loaded to the raged edge I can certainly tell a difference shot to shot.
I don't believe the powder degrades from one heating and cooling but what about a year of high heat? I have found ammo in vehicles that the bullet lube had melted all to one side! I wonder how well that one shot? How much of the lube melted back into the powder?
I also kept other things in the foam chest. like cassette tapes, pens, medications, etc. DR

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Good information, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I've never worried about ammo going off due to extreme heat in the car.

But I do wonder if prolonged exposure to heat or cold has any effect on basically degrading the components in a cartridge.
That's the only real worry; excessive heat and humidity will degrade the component performance and could potentially cause failures if the primer compounds degrade too much. That'd take a lot of exposure, I assume, but I don't keep anything in any vehicle for too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts