Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article has several interesting quotes and statements by ammo mfrs.
Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up with Demand, Reassure Eager Customers | CNS News

Hornady, an ammunition manufacturer located in Grand Island, Nebraska, offers answers to concerned customers on the FAQ page of their website:

Q: Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?
A: Not at all.

Q: Since we can't find your product you must be selling it all to the government.
A: Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.

Q: Why can't you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?
A:We've been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We've added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that - please take a tour of the factory. You'll be amazed at what you see.
There are other statements by Black Hills Ammunition and Remington.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Great post! I think people labor under a lot of misunderstood ideas. If a company, like Hornady, are used to selling X amount of product but suddenly get 10X demand they can't magically produce ten times the amount! Anyone should be able to see this just by looking at their own jobs. For example, if you're a mechanic you can't suddenly fix ten times the cars just because you suddenly get a chance to. I'm a chef- there's no way my restaurant could "ramp up" our production to serve 2,500 people per day! Think how long it would take to do that. First, it would have to be clear that the demand isn't a transitory event or anomaly. It would cost a million dollars to add 50% more to our dining room, and we may not even be able to do it unless we moved. And what if, after six months and a million dollars invested, that bump in demand went away?

Winchester could build five new factories, at the cost of God knows how much, but how long would that take? Six months? Two years? It could be a long time before they were making more ammo in their new buildings. Will there be a similar demand for ammo when the factory comes online?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
The biggest reason for the ammunition shortage is the the federal government as stated in the article..... It was created by the panic buying after the school shooting in December 2012 and all the talk of more so called "gun control" laws....... We only have ourselves to blame..........

Reactions: AZJD1968

·
Registered
168 Posts
The .gov needs to get out of the manufacturing business ...... remember the initiation of the old "Just-in-Time" business philosophy employed to combat the high inventory taxes levied on businesses by the .gov ..... well, here we are again where businesses are reluctant to increase production in the face of today's gun control frenzy for fear they might get caught with a large inventory of suddenly illegal product.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I read an article in Wall Street Journal Online that basically said that they projected this Ammo shortage to maybe last 9 months. The article was posted I think in January. So hopefully this Fall things will start to get back to reasonable.

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
We only have ourselves to blame.......... :confused:

We are living through a time when an entire large segment of the "people in power" coupled with the national mainstream news media are waging a legislative and media blitz war against firearm magazines, firearms, gun owning citizens, the NRA, etc. etc. and we have OURSELVES to blame for wanting to stock up on ammunition?

No...we have them to blame for creating the uncertain, turbulent, environment where millions of normal, average, law abiding, firearm owning American citizens feel it absolutely necessary to do so.

·
Registered
42,987 Posts
But if a chicken crosses the road, screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is fallen," are rational people going to believe the chicken and run for cover?

No, fools have fallen victim to their game. The rational ones have maintained (or at least attempted to maintain) a pre-apocalyptic level of supplies.

·
Registered
42,987 Posts
The sky may not be falling but, it seems to be suffering from some serious structural cracking right at the present time. :biggrin2:
I can agree with that.:yup:

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
i haven't let the shortage bother me at all. I just cut back on how much I shot until things get better. I still have enough components to keep the press going for a little while.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It just sucks because many of us who shoot regularly have to hold or dip into reserve/defensive stock.

However, I don't blame anyone (including the new owners) for buying up ammo. Like mentioned, political war is waging against guns and the future doesn't appear solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a gun owner for less than 1 year, I had not yet learned the lesson of how important it is to be well-stocked. Fortunately in Jan-Feb, I was able to build up my stock to a sufficient level and I have not bought any more since then. But I have had to cut back some on shooting since it is currently very difficult to replace what I shoot. When it gets easier and more affordable, I will be laying back a lot more ammo for the next crisis.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I find it hard to believe that no matter how much ammo they make, it could possibly fill the black ammo hole in this country. I'm not sure how much is enough for some people.

·
Registered
242 Posts
People who can afford to drop hundreds of dollars a month on ammo screwing the guy who can only drop $20 is how I see it. The wealthy are the problem. I can't stockpile these massive reserves. I keep a few hundred rounds on hand. But rich people hoarding resources aren't a new thing, and too bad on me for picking a career that society doesn't remunerate particularly well. But with all this talk of revolution in the air, you'd think it would behoove the fat cats to leave some for the little guy. Because there are a lot more little guys.

I know that post will go over like a fart in church on this forum, so flame on.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
The primer issue happened with Clinton, ammo happened in 2009, and now ammo and components in 2013. It is not going away anytime soon. I preached to stock up in 2008 and again in 2012, but you cannot get all the horses to water. This time folks when the crunch is over stock up a little bit every two or 4 weeks on payday. I've been doing this for years and am flush to the wall. Looks like I may have a chance to win some more categories in USPSA as there are lots less shooters every week. However there are many in my boots that are also stocked to the walls that are out there still. Oh well, more practice!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Lets not forget the 1000`s of new gun owners Obama has created, they need ammo too.... hey there IS a silver lining to every cloud!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Cayman_shen, the way to get there is do the $20 or so every payday over time. If you or others are new shooters, yes it is an issue. Me I have been doing competetion shooting since 1991 and have stocked every payday. Spreading it over time makes it easy, but you have to start sometime, and for some now is not the time regardless of the $$$ available cause there is noting out there to buy. Maybe in 24 months things will ease up and at that time it will be time to do a Payday buy every Payday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts