Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it was an interesting change.

They also reduced the size of the case (smaller now). I imagine the ammo shortage was part of the reason. They are retail, and empty shelf space is a loss.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about it. Only problem is how long it takes to get someone there with a key.

They carry .357 sig, and I buy a box when I see it. I figure if it ends up off wal-mart's stock selection, the caliber would only go up in price, so I better support their stocking it with a purchase.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
WM ammo has been behind locked glass for quite a while now anywhere I go. They still have some of the shotgun ammo out on shelves, mostly target or bird loads.
Only problem is how long it takes to get someone there with a key.
I know all too well how this goes down, and I've beat the system.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pistol and EBR ammo has a shelf life of about 1/2 an hour before it is sold out. I actually saw 100 round box of 38 Special the other day.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
:embarassed:Around here, anything other than mass quantities of shotgun ammo for hunting have been locked behind glass at our Wal Marts since Wal Marts have been around here. And they're allllllll empty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They've always had them locked behind glass at my local WW. They recently remodeled and got a big glass case that wasn't behind the counter so you can see all the ammo now. I think it's an awesome addition because now i don't have to walk up and ask "Do you have any 380 auto." Now I can just point to it and say "Gimme Gimme Gimme" Up to six times at least :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ammo has always been locked up at the local Walmart. Only cases of shotgun shells openly displayed. There has been more on the shelves lately though.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
not locked around here, but behind a counter. still have to find someone to get it for you. that is when they got any. can't prove it but i think someone here has an inside hook when the ammo comes in. but i did get two boxes of 22lr,550 round pack last week. they had ten on the shelf. the lady would let me have them all, but i did not want to be an ammo hog.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Here in the Richmond area, Walmart has had handgun ammo behind locked glass as long as I can remember. Some stores in the area lock shotgun and long gun ammo, some don't.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
varies here...but most locked in glass cabinet...the smaller stocking stores have it behind the sporting goods counter...the only ammo left out is generally shotgun shells...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
The WMs in my area keep it behind the counter unlocked.

At least the last time I checked that's how it was.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ha yeah every walmart i've been to, its been locked up. I hate getting ammo at walmart, i usually never do anymore...maybe some .22 ammo once in a while

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just got the ammo into a locked glass case here too. That's ok though, before it was in a locked cabinet with no glass! So I guess it would have been twenty questions if you wanted to buy.:twak:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
All ammo except shotgun has been behind locked glass since WW came here around 8 years ago.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
All my W/M's have it locked. It is sometimes behind the counter where you have to ask, or sometimes in a glass case out on the floor, but always locked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't even seen a Wal Mart around here that's carried guns/ammo for a few years...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Handgun ammo is locked up at WM in NH...
....'course, there's precious little of it.....
Was in this morning....one Army private and myself took the last 2 WWB 100-rd. 9mm off the shelf......
Had to chuckle...the private told the clerk and me: "Hell, the Army won't even buy it for us!!!"
Almost made me wanna give him MY box....Hey, I said ALMOST!!:wink:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I feel like a pheasant with all of the shotgun shells I have to dodge making my way to the locked glass ammo cabinet. I have seen probably 20 boxes of .223 ammo on the shelf there for what seems like 2 weeks. Once in a while there is some WWB .40, 9mm, and .357 Sig. Sometimes some Federal champion 9mm, .40, and .45acp. Even heard that someone scored a couple of boxes of .380 there once. The counter at the sporting goods department has installed a handy little button to push for assistance. When pushed someone is called to sporting goods and they almost always are the keymaster for the ammo cabinet.

Joker1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most of the WM's around have locked cases, but a few don't. Surprisingly, the one without most often seems to have 9mm and .40 available with a 6 box limit. The store with locked up ammo and a 2 box limit is frequently out. But it is one the way to/from work, so I do a quick check anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts