Defensive Carry banner

Ammo Prices Continue To Trend Down

712 Views 27 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  patkelly4370

The prices in the charts above are usually the "rock bottom" prices for new manufacture, e.g., ammo by BPS, etc. Blazer, SB, and other range ammo brands are usually a nickle or more higher. Regardless, you can see that ammo prices are trending down. I just did a bulk buy of 9mm and .45 ACP. I probably could have waited longer; my view of the economy is rather dour, and I expect ammo prices will continue to trend down over the year, but not by much. So I decided to purchase more now, because "you never know."

My shooting has become more frequent recently, but still, I probably never have to buy ammo again. I'm a bit of an ammo hoarder, though. It keeps forever, and if my kids inherit literal tons of ammo, the worst case scenario is they sell most of it for a premium in the future.

The prices are still significantly above the pre-covid levels, but I doubt we will ever reach those prices again. Inflation is now baked in and the floor has crept up.

What are you going to do? Wait and buy later, buy now, or just sit on your current stash?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
16,449 Posts
I don't think we will ever see ammo at prices before covid or inflation.
I bought most of my ammo a long time ago at cheap prices. I buy when I find a good sale.
I guess my strategy the past few years is too shoot less and save more. I do not like it but that is the reality of the situation.
I shoot just enough to keep from losing my edge. I wish I could shoot for grins and giggles again.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
I look for great deals. I have enough to last me a loooonnng time, barring a zombie uprising.
Not everyone’s cup of tea but PSA just had Norma MPH at $6.99 plus tax and shipping. So .43 a round and functions well even from my short barrels. Needless to say I picked up a couple hundred rounds. I can always sell it locally and not lose a dime

· Registered
757 Posts
My strategy over the past few years is to only buy when the prices of my favorites are below what I last paid, free shipping and when I can afford another bulk purchase.

Some calibers I don't shoot as often as others, like 7.62x39 and .38spc, have to be really good prices before I buy, and I try to maintain at least a one-year stash of those based on the previous year, a two-year stash of what I shoot most.

___
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

· Registered
911 Posts
That chart is quite a bit off. It's only taking into account the listed price on ammoseek. All the bottom prices have insane shipping per case.
Here's the price "15.3 cents per round" 9mm at the moment.
I just bought a cheaper case with free shipping from SGAmmo for the less than "cheapest ammo's" shipping alone.
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That chart is quite a bit off. It's only taking into account the listed price on ammoseek. All the bottom prices have insane shipping per case.
Here's the price "15.3 cents per round" 9mm at the moment.
I just bought a cheaper case with free shipping from SGAmmo for the less than "cheapest ammo's" shipping alone.
View attachment 403061
You won't find the best deals on the cheapest prices. But if you page through ammo seek, you will find free shipping on prices that are anywhere from 5 - 10 cents over the "rock bottom" prices listed.

I didn't present the charts as to actual cost per round to your door; I presented them to illustrate the overall trend.

· Registered
911 Posts
Having said that. I waited till 2022 to start replenishing ammo I shot in 2020-2021. I'm roughly back to my 2019 ammo stock levels, little more heavily invested into 5.56 this time because that was what I wanted most in 2020-2022. I buy as I shoot again to maintain levels.
Adjusted for inflation of labor, materials and accounting for shipping. I believe ammo prices of most calibers nearly match 2019. I don't suspect ammo prices will fall any lower.

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having said that. I waited till 2022 to start replenishing ammo I shot in 2020-2021. I'm roughly back to my 2019 ammo stock levels, little more heavily invested into 5.56 this time because that was what I wanted most in 2020-2022. I buy as I shoot again to maintain levels.
Adjusted for inflation of labor, materials and accounting for shipping. I believe ammo prices of most calibers nearly match 2019. I don't suspect ammo prices will fall any lower.

Yes, I tend to agree, which is why I bought now. They may go down a bit more, but not much, I expect. (And those rock bottom prices with insane shipping are damn annoying, I must say).

· Registered
911 Posts
I didn't present the charts as to actual cost per round to your door; I presented them to illustrate the overall trend.
But if the true cost is 2.5X higher than the price used to show the trend, then the only trend that website is demonstrates is ammo sellers trying to trick poorly informed buyers into ordering widly overpriced ammo.

· Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep" applies.
At the last big gun show in Phoenix, name-brand 9mm ball was going for $250 per 1000. My cost to reload 9mm is currently just under 20 cents a round - 10 cents for the bullet, 8 cents for the primer. Powder is cheap and I get range brass at my club's matches. If the price dips to 20 cents a round I'll get a couple of cases and use that just for practice, and reap the bonus of fresh, once-fired brass.

· Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Some calibers are almost gone from my stores. I keep a lot more 22 LR on hand these days and a lot, a whole lot more 5.56 than previously. Mostly use cheap 38 special for practice and wadcutters for carry.

The really expensive round is the 45 LC. Have to plan ahead for that one.

Reactions: matthew03

· Registered
4,181 Posts

The prices in the charts above are usually the "rock bottom" prices for new manufacture, e.g., ammo by BPS, etc. Blazer, SB, and other range ammo brands are usually a nickle or more higher. Regardless, you can see that ammo prices are trending down. I just did a bulk buy of 9mm and .45 ACP. I probably could have waited longer; my view of the economy is rather dour, and I expect ammo prices will continue to trend down over the year, but not by much. So I decided to purchase more now, because "you never know."

My shooting has become more frequent recently, but still, I probably never have to buy ammo again. I'm a bit of an ammo hoarder, though. It keeps forever, and if my kids inherit literal tons of ammo, the worst case scenario is they sell most of it for a premium in the future.

The prices are still significantly above the pre-covid levels, but I doubt we will ever reach those prices again. Inflation is now baked in and the floor has crept up.

What are you going to do? Wait and buy later, buy now, or just sit on your current stash?
[/QUOTE
Been buying ammo from the beginning of the shortage paying the high prices, about a buck a round for 44 mag and 45 ACP, still better than $1.10 per round for 9mm. Twice the lead, copper, powder and brass than 9mm. Steadily purchasing those two calibers because they require LPPrimers which I can't get and won't pay the price if I could get them. Haven't payed for any 9mm until recently at around 25 to 28 cents a round so I'm building a stockpile of those. I'll continue buying steadily as prices continue to drop and start to rise again to the point of unreasonable. By then I'll have enough to get by the next even bigger shortage.

· Registered
372 Posts

I am good on 9mm and 12ga, and I have been buying small amounts of .380 & .32 when I see a descent price, and I am selling my .22 revolver, so I don't need any more .22.

· Registered
190 Posts
I signed up for emails from Norma Shooting a long time ago. They have some pretty good sales, and free shipping sometimes for orders over $49.00. When I couldn't find 9mm locally over a year ago, Norma had range ammo for .34/round, with a free box of .22lr for each box purchased. My last order from them was for .22lr subsonic for .069/round with free shipping.

· Registered
12,146 Posts
The carvat here is the only things that are really coming down are like 3 or 4 or so of the most in demand stuff 9,223/556 , 308 and the like ..Stuff liek 38 and 357 is still a pain and hunting and fud ammo is still hard to find or crazy price ditto a lot of name brand good buck shot ( sure cheep out there but it is unknown company made in Turkey etc stuff that is often fly by night )

Do I think things will go up ..Yeah dont forgot we still are in the same mess as before no company in the US does lead smelting and only 2 or 3 make powder still ...And when the last of the form 6 Russian stuff is gone there will be a price spike ..I think people are just to broke from inflation to buy anymore right now ..And baring a major issues ( and I am worried about that what with ammo being mentioned on the new 4473 now ) I think it will sit where it is for now

· Registered
3,891 Posts
I wish the cost of Winchester Ballisitic Silvertips would come down. The current prices are about double what they used to be. While I can go a few more years if I don't shoot much (don't see whitetails to kill in the season) it would be nice to get back having more ammunition on hand.

Handgun ammunition around here is not that hard to find if you don't care what you shoot. Not exactly cheap either. Still, something for those that need anything. I bought cases of reasonably priced 10mm and .40 S&W ammunition last fall from different online sellers. Brands and loads of what I wanted, not just random available options.

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went through my email. A little walk down memory lane.

August 2019 order:

Aguila 5.56x45 NATO Ammunition 62 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Case of 1000 Rounds $279.99 USD

Geco 9mm Ammunition 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket Case of 1000 Rounds $154.99 USD

Winchester 5.56mm Ammunition Value Pack USA556LK 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket 1000 rounds $285.99 USD

January 2016:
GECO .45 ACP 230 Grain FMJ Ammo - 50 Rounds per Box $13.97 (That is $0.2794 per round)

Ah, the good old days!

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep" applies.
At the last big gun show in Phoenix, name-brand 9mm ball was going for $250 per 1000. My cost to reload 9mm is currently just under 20 cents a round - 10 cents for the bullet, 8 cents for the primer. Powder is cheap and I get range brass at my club's matches. If the price dips to 20 cents a round I'll get a couple of cases and use that just for practice, and reap the bonus of fresh, once-fired brass.
I think we are on the verge of the new "cheap."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts