Defensive Carry banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Mustang Pocketlite and am enjoying it. My usual carry is a Kimber Ultra II and I now have an alternative when I want something more discreet. The gun shoots great - I've tried Speer, Cor Bon, and a variety of cheap ball ammo with no glitches so far.

This is my question. I noticed that Buffalo Bore makes some +P SD ammo in this caliber with some impressive ballistics. They have a hardcast flat nosed lead 100 grain - 1125 fps with m.e. of 281 and a Gold Dot load with a 90 grain - 1175 fps - m.e of 276. It seems that the 100 grain lead bullet would probably penetrate well and still expand some.

Do any of you use these loads in a Colt .380? Do you think it can handle that powerful of a load? My idea was to continue practicing with the cheaper loads, but carry the hot ones if the gun can handle it. I'd just shoot a few rounds of the hot stuff to make sure it feeds reliably and goes bang, but not subject the gun to a lot of wear by using it at the range. (I couldn't really afford to, anway)

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Mustang and hot loads

I recently purchased a Mustang Pocketlite and am enjoying it.
Do any of you use these loads in a Colt .380? Do you think it can handle that powerful of a load? Thanks in advance for your input.
I'm certainly no expert, and not even sure if the following would be considered a +P or a hot load.

Specifically, I've tried the Mag Safe frangibles which get (if you believe the manufacturer) very high velocities and foot-pounds approximating 600, v 200 for a standard 380 ammo. I've only put a few of these through because they are way too expensive. Worked great with no obvious negative issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts