Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kinda curious how alot of you guys store all your ammo. With ammo being in high demand keeping several thousand rounds on hand might be the norm.I tend to keep most of mine in my gun safe, but slowly but surely mine is getting jam packed. Thoughts, ideas??/

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The majority is in my gun safe, but I also have a lockable storage space in the garage...

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I use military surplus metal ammo cans. I jeep them stacked up in my closet in my basement bedroom. They all have good seals and it keeps the ammo cool.
I have about 4,000 rounds all total at this time, that includes all calibers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Most of it in 40mm metal grenade cans and in .50 cal ammo cans. Some in the safe and some spread all over the room:)

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Just kinda curious how alot of you guys store all your ammo. With ammo being in high demand keeping several thousand rounds on hand might be the norm.I tend to keep most of mine in my gun safe, but slowly but surely mine is getting jam packed. Thoughts, ideas??/
Gun safe will only allow the guns. Several thousand rounds of what? Each caliber? Close. It's all in ammo cans, and since we live on the second floor, I hope I've distributed the weight evenly so as not to cause a collapse of the building structure. I can honestly say to my neighbors in case of fire that.....'if you see me running, you'd better catch up!' Why is it I get that feeling I've already said too much?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I've modified one of these with shelves to store my ammo in. While not as secure as a gun safe it serves the purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have two wooden, locked cabinets - one for pistol ammo and one for rifle ammo.

Total quantity in excess of 15k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a number or ammo containers that I got with bulk ammo purchases that seal well and I have them stacked in a closet and the firearms in the safe. I would love to get something to keep all the ammo locked in. But since I have 10K plus it is hard to find such a place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What ammo,, plastic ammo boxes with rubber seals. labeled and dated. This would be my choice if I had any, of course. :image035:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I store mine in ammo cans that have a good seal. I store them by caliber. I've also got boxes of ammo spread through out the house.

I guess I need to go buy some more ammo cans.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I shoot it as fast as I can make it, except maybe 1 to 2K for each caliber.

I use MTM plastic 50 round boxes (I keep history records) inside 50 cal ammo cans in a small storage building away from the house. Primer bricks go in freezer zip-locs inside plastic storage containers, and the 4 to 8 lb powder jugs and black powder go in plastic storage containers, also in the storage building. A ton of wheelwieghts is under the snow.

Inside the house, live ammo, primers,and powders ought to be in soft sided containers to prevent pressure in the event of a fire. Fifty or so MTM boxes on shelves, 2K primers in zip-locs, and around ten one pound manufacturer's containers for the powder should be enough inside. In the safe, with the social long guns, are a few loaded magazines for convenience.

Hulls, brass, and bullets are no problem when kept inside, but plastic bags help keep the air and moisture away. Store them next to the tin foil hats.

·
Registered
45 Posts
4400 9mm rounds (400 are JHP)
2500 .40 cal (500 are JHP)

plus a few hundred of various rifle calibers from 30-30 to 7mag all in my new safe. Love this safe. Keeps the hoarding of ammo from being so evident to others. :)

Shotgun ammo is just in plastic, waterproof containers. Nothing special there.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have a number or ammo containers that I got with bulk ammo purchases that seal well and I have them stacked in a closet and the firearms in the safe. I would love to get something to keep all the ammo locked in. But since I have 10K plus it is hard to find such a place.
There are all sorts of storage cabinets available if you just look for them. Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, office supply stores ...

Wood, metal, moulded ... It's all is how much you want to spend.

FWIW, 10k isn't that hard to store. Unless it's all in large, rifle calibers, the volume really isn't all that much. I have 4k of .223 that fits in about one cubic foot. :wave:

·
Registered
145 Posts
About 4200 rounds of Partizan 5.56 is in 5 army surplus cans, and I replace the dessicant regularly. I make my own packets from a gallon can of the blue dessicant using coffee filters and a little masking tape. about a tablespoon in each one. Plus Partizan ships their 5.56 in 200 round sealed plastic battle packs. Gotta keep it dry...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
About 4200 rounds of Partizan 5.56 is in 5 army surplus cans, and I replace the dessicant regularly. I make my own packets from a gallon can of the blue dessicant using coffee filters and a little masking tape. about a tablespoon in each one. Plus Partizan ships their 5.56 in 200 round sealed plastic battle packs. Gotta keep it dry...
With all due respect, even if you stored the ammo in a bathtub full of water, it would have no effect upon the performance of the ammunition when you fire it - even years later. Caches of WWII ammo were found in the 60s and 70s with the wooden shipping cases completely rotted away and the ammo shot just like it did when it was new. Ammo, especially military ammo, is a closed system. It's virtually impossible for moisture to get inside. I have ammo that I loaded 30 years ago that shoots just fine and it has had no special storage.

Basically, all that desiccant is a waste of time and money. But if it makes you feel better ...

BTW, all that sealed packaging is just a shipping container designed to prevent pilfering and keep the rounds together if the container gets wet. It serves no other real purpose. It's the same deal with "water-tight" US ammo cans - they protect the cardboard sleeves the ammo comes in and makes it easy to carry/store large amounts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My ammo is just stacked next to my bed in the corner of the bedroom. I put our extra pillows from the bed on top of it. Just makes the corner look nicer than having a pile of ammo visible to everyone.

I have maybe 800 .380 rounds, about 1200 9mm and 1000+ .223.

I'd like to buy more ammo...but I should really try to save money and buy a new handgun :comeandgetsome:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts