Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in a gun store that I frequent when I visit customers in that particular area of the state. I'm looking for a deer rifle and I thought I would check out the ammo shelf. They had all kinds of ammo. I bought a 100 rounds of JHPs and 100 rounds of target ammo for my 9mm. When I was checking out the clerk commented on how nice is was to get ammo again. We had a small chat about the 2A and on my merry way I went.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
You only bought 200 rounds?:confused:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Except for .380, there's no particular ammo shortage here, except for WalMart. Most of the gun stores, including Cabelas, are pretty well stocked.

One dealer had a sale last month on 9mm Blazer Brass for $10/box. They had over 150,000 rounds of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Glad to see someones got a steady supply of ammo. Hasn't changed much here and I buy from every distributor on the planet.

Here is some .380 - sorry for the price though
Maybe the traditional anti-gun states are getting preference. :banana:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I stopped in a gun store that I frequent when I visit customers in that particular area of the state. I'm looking for a deer rifle and I thought I would check out the ammo shelf. They had all kinds of ammo. I bought a 100 rounds of JHPs and 100 rounds of target ammo for my 9mm. When I was checking out the clerk commented on how nice is was to get ammo again. We had a small chat about the 2A and on my merry way I went.
Ammo supply is still sparse. You were lucky to get there. Most popular ammo goes quickly.

9mm and .45 auto is not too difficult to find. .380 is more difficult.

Why, We are at war. All ammo makers are running NATO lines and other Cals. needed, .380 is not one of them.

Millions of rounds must go to the military first.

Manufactures recognize a need to keep gun stores and ranges in business but we take a second to military needs, as we should.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Except for .380, there's no particular ammo shortage here, except for WalMart. Most of the gun stores, including Cabelas, are pretty well stocked.

One dealer had a sale last month on 9mm Blazer Brass for $10/box. They had over 150,000 rounds of the stuff.
Wow. I don't have a 9mm right now, but I would have picked up plenty of that for the future.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Went to a local Wal-Mart that was LOADED with 9mm. I don't shoot 9mm, but they also had plenty of .45 ACP Federal FMJ rounds.

Still waiting for some JHP...

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Wow. I don't have a 9mm right now, but I would have picked up plenty of that for the future.
Guns and ammo are commodities. While there is a shortage, there is also less demand so you might find most of what you are looking for now.

Beware of Cabalas. Much of what they have been selling is re manufactured. Reloads.

Not that is bad ammo but reloads will void the warranty on many guns.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
My local Wal Mart is still having problems getting handgun ammo. I can usually find what I need at a local Dick's Sporting Goods store, but the prices are very high compared to B.O. (before obama) days.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Beware of Cabalas. Much of what they have been selling is re manufactured. Reloads.
What do you base that statement on? Are you intimating they are putting reloaded ammo into factory boxes?

Any remanufactured ammo has to be clearly marked as such! The only remanufactured ammo I have seen on their shelves here is UltraMax, and it is clearly marked as such. Everything else is the standard brands, and it is factory-fresh.

As for voiding warranties, who cares; tell that to the thousands of shooters who reload and see if they give a hoot. :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
What do you base that statement on? Are you intimating they are putting reloaded ammo into factory boxes?

Any remanufactured ammo has to be clearly marked as such! The only remanufactured ammo I have seen on their shelves here is UltraMax, and it is clearly marked as such. Everything else is the standard brands, and it is factory-fresh.

As for voiding warranties, who cares; tell that to the thousands of shooters who reload and see if they give a hoot. :wave:
It is more a matter of buyer beware.

My wife thoutht she was dong me a favor buying me "Remanufactured" rounds of 9mm and .45 auto. These are reloads that this retail chain sells at near retail prices. I don't recall who the manufacture was on the box but I immediately canceled the order.

It does matter what you put through your gun should you ever need to return it to the factory.

I shoot target rounds but also match grade.

What you do with you gun is up to you. I just state the facts.:tired:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It is more a matter of buyer beware.

My wife thoutht she was dong me a favor buying me "Remanufactured" rounds of 9mm and .45 auto. These are reloads that this retail chain sells at near retail prices. I don't recall who the manufacture was on the box but I immediately canceled the order.

It does matter what you put through your gun should you ever need to return it to the factory.

I shoot target rounds but also match grade.

What you do with you gun is up to you. I just state the facts.:tired:
With all due respect, that not quite the same thing as your original statement. I understand what you're saying now but the way your statement came across was that Cabelas was selling reloads as new ammo.

That your wife doesn't know the difference is not Cabelas' fault. I'm not sure mine does, either. :image035:

FWIW, UltraMax is one of the better commercial reloading companies. My only gripe with them is they are almost as expensive as "fresh" ammo, as you have noted. It's not just Cabelas' pricing, though. Every store I have seen it in has it for essentially the same, too-high, price.

As for returning a gun to the factory, I have never worried about defending what I put into my guns. I have put far, far more of my handloads through my guns than I have ever put "fresh" ammo through them. I have had issues with two guns over the years that necessitated a return for repairs and the issue of what I shot through them never came up.

The "prohibition" against handloads/reloads is a CYA issue for the manufacturer, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
With all due respect, that not quite the same thing as your original statement. I understand what you're saying now but the way your statement came across was that Cabelas was selling reloads as new ammo.

That your wife doesn't know the difference is not Cabelas' fault. I'm not sure mine does, either. :image035:

FWIW, UltraMax is one of the better commercial reloading companies. My only gripe with them is they are almost as expensive as "fresh" ammo, as you have noted. It's not just Cabelas' pricing, though. Every store I have seen it in has it for essentially the same, too-high, price.

As for returning a gun to the factory, I have never worried about defending what I put into my guns. I have put far, far more of my handloads through my guns than I have ever put "fresh" ammo through them. I have had issues with two guns over the years that necessitated a return for repairs and the issue of what I shot through them never came up.

The "prohibition" against handloads/reloads is a CYA issue for the manufacturer, nothing more.
With all due respect to you, this is only my opinion. I am not targeting any store from trying to do business in this tough economy.

I just think the buyer needs to be aware. Consumer protection laws are a joke.

Please understand that while I sell reloading equipment, I don't reload myself. I know this probably seems like hypocrisy on my part but not really.

I don't care how or what one shoots if that is what you choose to do. I only try to point out the facts, the same as I do when someone wants to by product from me.:smile:

·
Registered
372 Posts
It seem like Dicks Sporting Goods has more ammo than WM. I picked up a couple boxed of 380 tonight.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I was at Dick's on Saturday and for the first time since March I saw not only full ammo shelves but they had deeply full ammo shelves!
They even had a big 250 rd. count box of 380 ACP Remington yellowbox/MegaPack!

Holy wow!!!

Now if only prices would return back to reasonable as they used to be.

- Janq

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Ammo Supplies Coming Back
Well, there have been a few threads about it, and it may be regional, but it looks that way in my neck of the woods. However........I'm not really that excited about it and I'll continue to buy as I have been over the past several months and thinking the new supply may be short lived. What we used to take for granted was taken away once...we should learn from that. Another observation I've made is that even though supply appears to be catching up....prices are not necessarily going down, and I don't think they will even if the market gets flooded.

·
Registered
862 Posts
did you forget a 0...you meant 1000 rounds right :rofl:

I wouldn't have been able to contain myself :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts