Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Best Ammo for Finding Ammunition 2020 - Guns Mags Reloading for several years to meet my bulk ammunition needs. Since the most recent buying panic began, I've watched the prices of bulk ammo go up while availability goes down. No surprises, but things now are as bad as they were in 2013, and worse than they were leading into the 2016 election. 9mm is scarce, and when available is more expensive than .45 acp., which is also more scarce than it has been. This being only July, I imagine the situation will only grow worse leading up to November, and as bad as they have ever been should the Dems score the trifecta many are anticipating.

Not being one prone to panic (I have plenty of ammo on hand), I would still recommend replenishing ammo supplies now for the long haul ahead.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I would not recommend that. If you are out, it is too late to plan ahead. Buy what you want, when you can, at great expense. If you are a planner, things will stabilize when millions of new gun owners figure out their situation. Be patient and don't feed the panic.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
I would not recommend that. If you are out, it is too late to plan ahead. Buy what you want, when you can, at great expense. If you are a planner, things will stabilize when millions of new gun owners figure out their situation. Be patient and don't feed the panic.
I disagree. If Biden is elected, I think ammo prices and availability will get a lot worse. If Trump gets re-elected, the violence will continue or may escalate, but ammo will continue to be scarce.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Nice Mike. Thanks. I forwarded to an uncle of mine. He needs a bit of guidance, he lives in another state and I’m unable to guide him in a way that I’d prefer so tips and tricks in logistics are very helpful.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'd recommend dollar cost averaging as an option for anyone not well stocked. Determine a fixed budget for how much you will expend from each paycheck or each month on ammo, and just spend that. As prices fluctuate over time, the average cost per round will be lower overall than peak prices.

Use Ammoseek to find the best price (including shipping) per round and just start stocking up within your budget. You may find a few companies that advertise a good price but are out of stock; some offer an email signup to be notified when they have stock on hand to sell again.

Over time your stocks will increase if you buy more than you shoot.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I have been using Best Ammo for Finding Ammunition 2020 - Guns Mags Reloading for several years to meet my bulk ammunition needs. Since the most recent buying panic began, I've watched the prices of bulk ammo go up while availability goes down. No surprises, but things now are as bad as they were in 2013, and worse than they were leading into the 2016 election. 9mm is scarce, and when available is more expensive than .45 acp., which is also more scarce than it has been. This being only July, I imagine the situation will only grow worse leading up to November, and as bad as they have ever been should the Dems score the trifecta many are anticipating.

Not being one prone to panic (I have plenty of ammo on hand), I would still recommend replenishing ammo supplies now for the long haul ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Ammoseek has served me well over the years. They keep an up to the minute inventory of many vendors, and are usually quite accurate.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
@Mike1956
Thanks for the link. Just found and ordered a case of 12ga 00.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I disagree. If Biden is elected, I think ammo prices and availability will get a lot worse. If Trump gets re-elected, the violence will continue or may escalate, but ammo will continue to be scarce.
So prices will never again fluctuate? Sorry, but I heard the infinite inflation scare 8 years ago. And then ammunition and semi auto rifles were as cheap as ever, adjusted for inflation.
But everyone should go buy everything they can afford right now. Spend it all and stock up. (That speeds the surplus later)

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
When ammo prices plummeted a few years ago, I started bulk buying. For a few months I was getting deliveries of 2 - 3 thousand rounds of 9mm and .45 (I already have a lot of .38 SPCL). When I bought my DDM4 I purchased 2k of 5.56, and was going to buy more but never got around to it. Fortunately I still have about 1700 rounds of 5.56.

This too will eventually pass, but I think it will take a lot longer than it took the Sandy Hook ammo shortage to abate. With Sandy Hook, there was a legislative push that was eventually defeated. This run, however, is being fueled by an issue that is quickly becoming systemic - the breakdown of law and order in many major cities, coupled with an extreme leftist push of the Democratic party (this is not the old Democratic party that opposed Reagan). As a result, in these massive population centers, including the respective suburbs, people are scrambling for guns and ammo like never before.

When this eventually passes (more than a year, I'd say), stock up when it's cheap. And if you are short now, bear down buy some now, because it's only going to get more expensive in the coming months.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,798 Posts
I have been using AMMOSEEK for many years.

I have also bought a lot of ammo from SGAmmo.

SGAmmo

Reactions: Poorly

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
When ammo prices plummeted a few years ago, I started bulk buying. For a few months I was getting deliveries of 2 - 3 thousand rounds of 9mm and .45
Thanks, now I feel my ammo stash may be lacking. 😕

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
I was on the notify list at Target Sports for Federal Flight Control 8 pellet 12 ga 00 buck. I was out of the house this morning doing some volunteer work for the Department of Wildlife Services. I checked my email at 0800. I got an email from Target Sports that the ammo was in stock at 0802 that I did not see until 0845. The ammo was gone by then.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
33,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check out the 9mm currently available, or more accurately, not available. The cheapest stuff available is Tula with throwaway casings for twenty-eight cents a squeeze plus shipping.

From there, prices go waaaaay up:

·
Registered
34,607 Posts
I was on the notify list at Target Sports for Federal Flight Control 8 pellet 12 ga 00 buck. I was out of the house this morning doing some volunteer work for the Department of Wildlife Services. I checked my email at 0800. I got an email from Target Sports that the ammo was in stock at 0802 that I did not see until 0845. The ammo was gone by then.
That's what you get for slacking off.

·
Registered
34,607 Posts
Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I just surfed ammoseek after reading these posts. Looks like if you have 9mm only your screwed. 9mm seems to be scarce and at least 100% increase in price (that's double if you don't have your calculator handy). If you have/use .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 Special or .357 Magnum there's a lot of availability and only about 25% markup over normal prices.

I am well stocked and in no need to get anything, and that's not including my reloading supplies. But if I felt the need to stock up at this time I would definitely stock up on those other than 9mm calibers I listed (since I have and use all of them). That way you can stock up on useful calibers during this panic, and not get beat up too bad financially. I mean it will cost you more than the normal price of 9mm, but not too much more than the normal price of the above mentioned calibers. Plus they are available …… at this time.

That way, when/if things return to normal, you haven't lost too much money while getting ready for the apocalypse, and at worst, you will be stocked up on useful calibers that you needed, but haven't been buying because 9mm was so cheap !
JMHO !

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
My dearly beloved has guns in 9mm, .38 special, 40 cal, 44 magnum and .45acp, plus a couple rifle things. Even if he runs totally out of one caliber he has others as useful backup.

Unfortunately, due to arthritis, my guns are now limited to .380 and .22lr. I don't consider the .22lr to be defense guns, but they might turn out that way if all the .380 ammo gets gone and there is none to be found I'm shooting less .380 on each range trip than I did a few months ago, but still using it. Actually, I'm shooting less .22lr on each range trip also and that's OK. I still get to practice perishable skills like shooting on the move, strong hand/weak hand, changing the gun from one to the other while moving........simple basic stuff like that.

My friends and I signed up for "back in stock" notices of certain ammo but I warned them that by the time they got the email it would likely be sold out. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I just surfed ammoseek after reading these posts. Looks like if you have 9mm only your screwed. 9mm seems to be scarce and at least 100% increase in price (that's double if you don't have your calculator handy). If you have/use .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 Special or .357 Magnum there's a lot of availability and only about 25% markup over normal prices.
I was lower on 40 S&W target ammo than I knew, 25% more than what I paid months ago is spot on.
That said, I'm no longer low on 40 S&W. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts