Defensive Carry banner

What’s your primary means of accumulating ammunition?

• Gun shows, one box at a time for the “good stuff”

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Online for practice ammunition in bulk

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Reloading for range ammunition

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Online for everything

Votes: 12 44.4%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to see this happening personally and online. Even 45ACP and my beloved 10mm, expensive even before the virus and Biden (another type of virus altogether) have started dropping in price while increasing in volume.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
38,350 Posts
Prices are dropping and availability is increasing every day.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have pretty much zero local gun shops

I am seeing major price drops ... Some are not dropping it .No where what it was but at least seeing stuff under .50 a round now

But what I am seeing is more limited caliber pretty much only price drops on 9mm , 223/556 some 308 maybe 40 cal everthing elese is still pricy

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
Local gun shops around here seem to still be keeping the higher prices - they're keeping the ammo too.

Reactions: Henry9008 and Fugum

·
Premium Member
38,350 Posts
I have pretty much zero local gun shops

I am seeing major price drops ... Some are not dropping it .No where what it was but at least seeing stuff under .50 a round now

But what I am seeing is more limited caliber pretty much only price drops on 9mm , 223/556 some 308 maybe 40 cal everthing elese is still pricy
5.45 x 39 went from forty cents per round to over a buck, from there to none in stock, and now back down to thirty cents a round with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My vote was for reloading, but there's an option that is not listed which I use, and that is local stores for much of my bulk ammo purchases. The days were good when I could get CCI brass bulk 9mm for 15 -16 cents a round for boxes of 1,000. I'd drive out with two or more. and .45 WWB 230 was 32 cents a round for 300 in an ammo tin. That's about what I could find it for online after adding hazmat and shipping.

I once bought a bunch of Federal Brass range packs for .45 ACP for 31 cents a round, and found out that Federal brass range ammo uses small pistol primers. So I had to go and sort out all of the Federal brass.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, last I saw, CCI 300 and 500 were going for 18 cents each, but that was about two months ago. I haven't checked back yet.
If anyone has them at near-normal prices, they sell out quickly. On gunbroker, they are still in the 15 cents ea. range for small pistol and small rifle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Prices are getting better, but still double or more than they were about 18 months ago, depending on round. I just scored 500 rds of .45 ACP for $335 about an hour ago...works out to about 67 cents/round. Beats the nearly a dollar per round I paid in January 2021, but still more than the .45/round from 2019. I was waiting for it to drop lower, but I have an event coming up so I had to buy now.

Looking at other popular rounds, the best I have seen this week have been: .22 @ 13 cents, 9x19 steel case @ 45 cents, 5.56 steel case @ 40+ cents. Some of those prices are more than double than what was around near Christmas 2019. I have been shooting a bit since then, but have scaled back range trips and been more judicious about sending rounds down the pipe.

Good thing I had amassed a tiny stockpile when prices were lower. Doing that got me through the pandemic and the idiotic right-wing rhetoric-driven garbage talk that sparked all the panic buying. Had that not happened, we would still be enjoying buying .22 at $0.06 per round.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lol, it is Summer when Sales are down and even shooting ranges are down in shooters. Wait until FALL and watch the prices go right back up. And Biden has only been in office for 7 months, God only knows what he will F up next. I hope we are all still here in the fall. Sob is out to destroy the entire US. By the way, I was buying Steel case 9mm for $6.44 per box shipped right to my front door. Standard range ammo about $2.00 more. Do not tell me prices are even coming close to normal.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
It's going to go up the day I convince my wife that we should spend the money that we were thinking about for a new rifle, on ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I am on email lists for most of the major online ammo retailers. They are all beside themselves with joy over 9mm at "only" $.50-.60 cents per round for common brass range ammo. If you willing to go with steel or aluminum prices are approaching mid-high $.30s. We still have a ways to go, but as long as enough consumers are willing to pay the current asking prices and the supply chains remain restricted, prices aren't going farther south anytime soon.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
The crisis won't be over for me until I can stock up on primers for a non-ridiculous price...
Same. Every time I see someone that has them in stock for $100+/1000 I decide I don’t need them. When they are back to normal prices and I’m not limited to 1000 I’ll restock them all at once.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
My fav source is SGAmmo.com. Right now they have more selection in .38 Spl than I've seen in over a year, and some .38-.40 per round. I'm encouraged it's going down a little.

·
Premium Member
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No selection for local gun shop?
I didn’t even consider it. Nearly all the shops I’ve seen over the last thirty years don’t keep retail supplies of ammunition unless they get a spectacular deal on a certain brand or caliber.

One current example is my FFL just got in a shipment of Thule 9mm, like around 60,000 rds. He paid about .25 a round for it and he’s selling it for about .30-.35 cents per round. It may already be gone. But that was a “one off” deal that the FFL just stumbled upon. The shop doesn’t otherwise sell ammunition.

The exception is if the LGS also has an indoor range as part of it’s operation.

There was one of those back in Miami where I went to shoot during inclement weather or brutal heat. They had a deal going with the manufacturer MagTech whereby ALL range ammunition had to be that brand if you bought at the shop. I don’t like MagTech, soooo I just brought my own.

Reactions: dontcatchmany

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Recently I stopped in Academy Sports two days after their truck had arrived. They had about 200 boxes of Winchester 5.56 in 20 round boxes, a few Winchester 223 in 90 round packs, and a lot of 50 round boxes of Winchester 22LR. I was in a hurry and did not look at prices but it was refreshing to see some ammo left on the shelf in between trucks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts