Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
You may recall I often refer to a PRS buddy I shoot with a lot. Well, his name is Jeff. About a week ago He went to a PRS competition in Florida - He came back with the First Place award!

Then, this weekend he shot another PRS competition that he described in a text to me and I quote, "...stiff competition today," He considered that he blew one stage in the morning session and still could land in the top 5. At the end of the competition he was in a three way tie for 2nd place and one shot away from a tie for first place - more about that shortly.

The three tied for second had to have a shootoff - Jeff cleanly won second place!

Now, back to that one shot away from a tie with the first place guy - it really should have been a tie. Here's what happened. On one stage, Jeff missed one shot that went way high. In his first text to me revealing the errant shot, he said it felt really good and he'd just have to write it off as one of those crazy outliers that occur rarely. But....

In the next text, he had obviously given that errant shot more thought. Essentially, there was no way one of his handloads would have been that far off UNLESS, it nicked the steel plate and ricocheted high. He believes that's what happened and so do I. A ricochet would explain the exceptionally high displacement. Of course by then, there was nothing he could do so he ended up in 2nd place, one shot away from a tie for first. Sooo...

As far as I'm concerned he tied for first place. Had that happened, I am convinced Jeff would have won the shoot off for first place. He's had two shoot offs and he won both of them.

In a competition a little bit further back in time he was also tied for second place and instead of a shoot off, they flipped a coin, Jeff lost the coin flip and came in third. Had they gone with a shoot-off....

Anyway this weekend's first place was great news, for me at least, and of course more so for Jeff. You know what? He started winning when we started shooting together! But, as much as I'd like to claim some credit here, I'm not sure I can. Although I will say, all that number crunching I've done and posted, I've shared with Jeff and he hasn't taken it lightly. I guess in that regard I actually did help him better understand what he should realistically expect from his gun and ammo. I'd like to think so anyway. He's about as bad of a analyst as I am - wait maybe that should be good, not bad 馃槉

Premium Member
Some good news, FOR SURE! I'm happy for your "shooting buddy Jeff", & ANY contributions you MAY have had in his success! 馃槈
Thank's @Tangle !

Reactions: airslot

Super Moderator
You know what? He started winning when we started shooting together! But, as much as I'd like to claim some credit here, I'm not sure I can.
Your contribution was being a highly competent shooter for him to shoot with - you made him be more deliberate about what he was doing! I know I perform better when I shoot with others who are at least as good or better than I am.

Premium Member
When you win a contest you feel great. When a close friend wins one and you've been even a small part of his "climb to the top" you feel TERRIFIC!

At least I do.

Congratulations to your friend Jeff!

Registered
Jeff must have understood your charts and graphs!

Premium Member
Very cool, Tangle, I'm happy you got to be a part of Jeff's success. Having a friend alongside in participating in things like that relaxes you and helps your focus on the task at hand - you really were a part of it. :)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

As if things weren't complicated enough with the corona pandemic, we now have my aged, incapacitated, bother-in-law living with us on, I hope, a very temporary basis. He requires 24 hour supervision, so for the duration, I have the 10:00 pm to 7:00 am (night shift) and am not adapting fast to the abrupt change in my sleep/eat schedule.

On top of that I had a bout of sciatica for the first time in my life - and OUCH only starts to describe it! I am over it now though, or 95% over it anyway.

And, I just now got back online from a 10 hour power outage - MAN, do I have a renewed appreciation for air conditioning and electric lights!

But, you know one good thing about working a 9 hour night shift? Maybe you know something, so far I haven't found anything good about it! 馃樂

Reactions: TSKnight

Premium Member
Hang in there, Tangle, you're a smart guy and will find a way to make this more bearable. Praying for you and your brother in law.

Reactions: Tangle

Registered
Thanks guys!

As if things weren't complicated enough with the corona pandemic, we now have my aged, incapacitated, bother-in-law living with us on, I hope, a very temporary basis. He requires 24 hour supervision, so for the duration, I have the 10:00 pm to 7:00 am (night shift) and am not adapting fast to the abrupt change in my sleep/eat schedule.

On top of that I had a bout of sciatica for the first time in my life - and OUCH only starts to describe it! I am over it now though, or 95% over it anyway.

And, I just now got back online from a 10 hour power outage - MAN, do I have a renewed appreciation for air conditioning and electric lights!

But, you know one good thing about working a 9 hour night shift? Maybe you know something, so far I haven't found anything good about it! 馃樂
BTDT, both the night shift and the SCIATICA!
Neither one are what I would call fun. Hang in there and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Reactions: Tangle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts