Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at one of these this afternoon at the the gun shop and they are a interesting little .45. the DA trigger pull is about like trying to pull a full size truck up hill with 1 finger, and it looks kinda funny, but yet intriguing at the same time. It would have to kick like a mule, as it is quite light and short barreled.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43360665

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Never owned one , do own a .380 backup ( single action version ) from back when it was the equivilent of the p3at today , suppose the .45 is similar to every amt i ever saw in the sense that if ya get a good one they are fine, but many are single shots with handy storage lol

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
You're right Bud.

My cousin had one for a long time and never could get the dang thing to work right. He traded it for something stupid like a tractor tire or something.

But I've seen on that there internet some people actually CCW one.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
The Seller Pretty Much Nailed It.

When He Said: "What you see is what you get."

Yes, some did have problems. Does anybody remember what the exact function problems were?

I remember reading numerous Jam/Failure To Feed in actual gun tests.

I don't remember if they could be tuned to be reliable or not.
I always thought it COULD be a decent firearm if it could be tuned to function 100% ~ I remember that they had some reliability issues.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
shoot qk i suppose ya could tune a jennings to be relyable , but why would ya LOL amt's all galled like hell and had fairly short lifespans , its like having a custom llama imho LOL

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Bruces45 said:
I looked at one of these this afternoon at the the gun shop and they are a interesting little .45. the DA trigger pull is about like trying to pull a full size truck up hill with 1 finger, and it looks kinda funny, but yet intriguing at the same time. It would have to kick like a mule, as it is quite light and short barreled.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43360665
We have 2 of them in stock. They were hot sellers for a while, but they're heavy and a bit awkward to handle. sales of em dropped off real quick. The 9mm and 40S&W Backups are MUCH better guns. The DAO 380 is a safer gun also. The S/A guns (and I've had both types, were a bit of a safety problem. The OMC and TDE backups were the best of the bunch, with the metal mag followers in them. The followers could be ground back to fit and extra cartridge in em, making the mag cap 6 instead of 5 ( i found an artical on it long ago, tried it and it worked flawlessly)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
yea class mine is stamped omc and its not bad for what it is , it was a comfort on many a call for me anyway lol

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Redneck Repairs

Oh that's right...good memory. I remember that the Hardballer had galling problems also. Something about the same alloy & metal hardness for the slide & the frame.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Yep qk , early smith 60s ( real early ) had the same issues till smith made some changes ( they did lead the development of ss weapons ) amt was just the first of the 1911 platform IIRC and went thro a lot of bankrupcys , and renames to " prove the concept " as well as management issues .. some were good , some were bad, i got a good one in .380 marked omc , i tried 3 hardballer longslides and gave up on them ( figgered 3 galling suckers , well the luck was not with me on a 1911 lol )

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I've had the TDE, OMC, and AMT guns. The OMC/TDE guns were by far the BEST ........The OMC backups (in the plural as I've had about a dozen total) were the best.........I'm looking for one right now when it it comes in as trade

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
yep bud , but amt et all were in recivership too much , i dont think they eaver got it figgered out to the point i would say " its a good gun buy it " there are good ones out there ( i know i still own one ) but many bad ones too and its a crapshoot to buy one just my opinion

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Geesh

You guys are really making the neurons spark up in the ol' QKShooter brain.
That's right because I remember some of the gun platers back then experimenting with putting a coat of hard chrome on either the slide or the frame in order to prevent the galling.

Some of the Hardballer slides also had a cracking problem in the location of the ejection port...I think.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
qk yes they did lol ( dont ask how i know cause glocks arnt the first ones to have kabooms )

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have and still carry from time to time, AMT DAO Backups in 9 mm and .380. I bought them new back in the 80's, and they have worked flawlessly for me since day one. Using a teflon grease on the rails, I have never experienced any galling problems. They filled a real market niche when they first came out: major calibers, stainless, DAO, snagless and very pocketable.

High Standard down in Texas bought the tooling from Galena in South Dakota. The DAO Backups are supposed to be back on the market in the first quarter of 2006, with some of the other AMT models, such as the Hardballer, to follow.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Mill thats good news , amt was out there on the cutting edge for its time as was detonics , amt had some rough times ( both from a technology and a bad management standpoint ) , and thro that put out some crappy handguns , they also built some good ones , as i stated i wouldnt reccomend one , but am not ready to give mine away yet lol

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
The Longslide Hardballer

I was two swats at a gnats a$$ away from buying a Longslide Hardballer. A nice used one in near mint condition. That was a long time ago...I probably should have bought it. The price was right & it WAS a neat handgun.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
qk i have a bud who has a good one , he wont sell , it took me 3 ones with issues ( including a kaboom ) to convince me that i really didnt want one , great shooters when they work tho lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts