Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had a day off from work today and went to my local gunshop for something to do and found this little baby used for $180. After checking it out i thought that it would make a good bug to my 1911 or even a good glove box piece. The trigger pull on it is long and heavy but i think with a little practice it might not be too hard to get a good grouping at combat ranges. I've read good and bad about this model and hopefully this one wont be a lemon. It looks like it can use a good cleaning so after i get it cleaned up ill let you guys know how it shoots.
This pistol came with no manual but i foung a manual and other good info for the backup .380 on the net but nothing on the .45 . Do any of you guys know if the .45 field strips like the .380 or do i need to find a manual for the .45

HARDCORE

AND YES, I CHECKED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS'NT LOADED.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thats going to be a bear to squeeze with 230 grains. Good luck Jarhead..:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sweet looking little gun man! shooting .45s from that might hurt a little but hey if it gets the job done! mission acomplished!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill tell you fellas it might be small but it is quite heavy for its size. hopefully it wont kick any more than my Glock 27 stoaked with my 180 gr. Gold dots.
I was thinking of what to carry it in because i didnt want to get another holster being i have a box full now. I found my old desantis nemesis pocket holster i had for my old Keltec P3AT that i dont have anymore and its a good fit. It even fits in the front pocket of my Levis with no problem

HARDCORE

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Looks rugged and if weight too - maybe not too punishing.

Certainly interested to know how well it shoots. If reliable then a very possible BUG application!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still have a couple of DAO Backups, in 9 mm and .380 that I bought new in the 1980's. Mine have worked excellently for me since day one. The .45 weighs about 25 ounces and it has a low bore axis, so recoil is not all that bad, relatively speaking. I have fired polymer .45s with far worse recoil.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That was my first thought too, how come I don't find really cool guns for such good prices. I would try and visit gun stores more often, but then I would buy more stuff, and it would not be just the stuff that is a good price.

Sweet gun, I hope she shoots well. Post a report when you get a chance.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
We have 2 at the store..............about 240.00 each...........they do work pretty good, but stick with BALL ammo though......

·
Registered
814 Posts
I carry one. Trigger pull is like 17lbs, but it is necessary to have a heavy spring due to the low slide mass or something like that. It's not the best thing in the world for driving nails at 25 yards, but WTSHTF, it's an OK backup.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've shot one before. It functioned like it should but without practice I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

clipse

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Pretty much a truer belly-gun than a J-frame. I've had two of the .380s, and they were functional little guns. The only major concern I would have is tracking down a transfer bar, extractor & spring, and a couple or three extra mags, as these really aren't out there much, anymore. Enjoy!:wave:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i got a manual from another site and it does'nt break down like the backup .380, but simular to a Keltec P3AT. When i got it apart i could'nt believe how much crud was inside. Especially from the view down the magazine well. Lots of lint and dust but a few blasts of gun scrubber and it looks just like new. So its all clean and lubed up and hopefully tomorrow i'll get out of work early enough to get to the club and shoot some rounds through it . I'll let you guys know how i make out.

HARDCORE

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

I just got back from the range and i have to say that im pretty inpressed with this pistol. I shot 100 rounds of 230 gr.WWb fmj. My hand is a little sore but the recoil was very manageable. Double taps at 7 yards got me a average group of about 4" for 6 shots. And at 15 yards slow fire it opens up a bit but i was still on an 8x11 sheet of paper. While the sights are only a groove in the top of the slide they did the trick at 15 yards, but for up close and personal ranges like from 4-7 yards i just had to point shoot to get tight c.o.m. hits. Next to my 1911 its the most pointable gun i now have.
Out of the 100 rounds shot the only problem that i had was with the spare mag that came with the gun. With it topped off with 5 rounds the action would'nt close unless i gave the rear of the slide a good shot with the palm of my hand. With 4 rounds it closed most of the time. With the other mag there was no problem, Feed perfectly. The only other thing is that the brass kept hitting me in the forehead every once in a while LOL. So id have to say that i think i got a winner. I just have to buy a few new mags and while im at it i might get a new Wolf recoil spring because theres no telling how old this one is.

HARDCORE :danceban:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sounds good :smile:

Found a few guns that get tight with totally full mag - but otherwise seems you got a winner! Good result.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had one when they first came out. Bought it for the cool factor.

It worked fine with ball and silvertips.

However, the trigger pull was atrocious. I literally couldnt manage any accuracy due to the trigger.

Now..I DO know an arson investigator who carries his off duty and loves it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Always glad to hear reports of someone finding the rare gem. At that price, with that accuracy and extra factory mag availability it sounds like you got a heck of a deal.
Jack

BTW, great quote San Antone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
High Standard in Texas bought the rights and the tooling for AMT pistols from Galena in South Dakota. I have read 'Net rumors that the DAO Backups will be back on the market in the first or second quarter of 2006. If they do come back on the market, it will be interesting to see how they sell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts