Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that the Brady group gave Obama an F. So I looked to see if you could actually carry on Amtrak. It seems like you still can't and they'll grudgingly let you by the end of this year, but only in checked baggage. Meanwhile, you can't carry mace either. So for self-defense purposes, basically the only thing this law lets you do is avoid an FFL transfer. You can't even carry ammo - its like going into Washington DC.

Here's the text of the Amtrak firearms policy:
Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I wonder ... is it merely a policy (which would have no force of law), or is it a law that firearms are illegal on inter-state passenger trains like Amtrak?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, due to a "typo", until the law is amended by congress, the gun owner must be in a locked container.

That will be uncomfortable...

:gah:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Actually, due to a "typo", until the law is amended by congress, the gun owner must be in a locked container.

That will be uncomfortable...

:gah:
...and our congressional buffoons make lots of money to produce this kind of garbage?:gah::hand1::banned:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts