Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out last week that I just won an all expense paid vacation to the sandbox! (Maybe, this week we found out we might not be going, we're on standby at the moment. I love the military- hurry up and wait!) I've got my Surefire (and a backup LED light for when I just need a flashlight). I've got a karambit as my knife, an CRKT M-16-14D (the four inch Tanto blade) as a utility knife (same one I use here as an EDC/utility knife), another CRKT knife, also a four inch that a buddy gave me "just in case." My boots are broken in, I've got plenty of baby wipes and toiletries. I've got some books to read, and paper to write home with. Am I forgetting anything?

A1C Lickey

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Well, I echo Bud's sentiments, and if you do have to go, stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. :wink:

And if I haven't said it before, thanks for your service!

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
God Bless and Stay Safe.

From this old vet a piece of advise.

Don't try to do any damn heroic BS that gets you more into harms way.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Unlss you're a PJ or combat controller you shuld be living fairly well on a major airbase or other installation. Pack light, then once you find out your situation you can order things by mail online or have friends/ family send stuff to you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
New Berretta magazines - the issue ones are falling apart over there. Some fed Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo in 9mm, if at all possible. Not HP, so should be "legal" for Hague Convention 1927, if you care, and more effective than ball....
Compact, reusable sweat band....

·
Registered
329 Posts
What KIND of Karambit? Do you have a multi tool?

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
A1C Lickey said:
I've got my Surefire (and a backup LED light for when I just need a flashlight).
From what I understand the Surefire will out last a lot of stuff you'll take oner there.

One of our EOD teams taped one on the arm of the robot used to check suspicious packages, for extra light at night. They sent this "expensive" robot up to the package and the package went off...... Destroying the robot! The did find the Surefire, and it still worked! :biggrin: It did need a new lens, the one that was on it got cracked in the detonation. :silly:

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
You Lucky Dog!

All Expenses...PAID! :king:
Yep, you are forgetting something.
Take a camera w/ you. We expect pics. :biggrin:
Meanwhile...you should be able to get "on line" every once in a while. If/when you go...don't forget to "check in" & say Hi to your 1,000 (or so) friends here! :smile:
Play Carefully! Come back safe.
Oh...BTW ~ Can you bring me back one of those Gold Plated AK47s if you see one just sittin' around? :biggrin:
:unitedsta:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If it turns out you DO have to go - as others said, stay in touch and as if I need say - watch that 6 at all times.
QK said:
Can you bring me back one of those Gold Plated AK47s if you see one just sittin' around?
Yep - da one wit da switch!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To everyone I appreciate your concern and I'll do my best to both stay safe and stay in touch while I'm there.

I've just been told (I just left the range after qualifying on the M-16 again) that I won't be carrying a M9. I've also been told that it is very, very against the UCMJ to bring a personal weapon. (I so wanted to bring my 1911, just in case.)

Keeney, yes I've got a multi-tool. It's a no name knock off, but it works. It's served me for the past five years without any complaint. As for my karambit, it's a VTech folder. I've had a trainer that me and my sensai practice with and last week I finally found the VTech. It was affordable, and a folder, decent steel, and I won't be too angry if I mess it up or leave it in somebody.

I'm kind of glad that I had just gone out and bought another 512 flash card for my camera. I'm sure there are going to be some REALLY interesting pics from this trip.

Now for a slightly personal rant, why do people feel it neccesary to thank me whenever they here I'm in the service. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what I do, but I don't need to be thanked. I never know how to reply to that, especially when it's coming from vets. Alright, enough with my two cents.

Ok QK, I'll play carefully, but I don't have to play nice do I? :wink:
I'll do my best on the gold plated AK's, but the first one is mine. OKay, okay, probably the second one too... :wink:

A1C Lickey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
A1C Lickey said:
Now for a slightly personal rant, why do people feel it neccesary to thank me whenever they here I'm in the service. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what I do, but I don't need to be thanked. I never know how to reply to that, especially when it's coming from vets. Alright, enough with my two cents.
:confused: And here I thought I was the only one that thought that was weird. :biggrin:

The strangest was I ren into an Army recruter on the street one day (didn't know him) and he said, "you ready to join up?", I said, "20+ years was enough". He then shakes my hand and thanks me. :pat:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
As I see see it - and someone correct me if I am wrong - all guys who serve and have served - and thank heaven made it back - have had their very lives on the line for the rest of us.

They may see themselves as ''just doin' a job'' but I am more than aware of how little thanks many Nam Vets seemed to get - more often it was abuse or denigration my their fellow Americans.

Therefore - all the guys at the ''sharp end'', even from my POV as a newbie ''import'' are deserving of the thanks from the rest of us.

I have a son - need I say more.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
I don't think you have to say anything. It's a simple thanks for doing what you do. It's important, it's unappreciated and there are so many now saying, "Screw the country I'm not putting my ass on the line" or simply "Let someone else do it." At least those that thank you aren't spitting on you and calling you a baby killer, like some vets have experienced in the past. I expect you will most frequently hear it from those of us that have been in the military because we know that the job you do is rarely appreciated....

·
Registered
357 Posts
SSKC said:
As far as not wanting to be thanked: tough! And...thank you.
Well, that came off a little more flippant than I intended. Let me rephrase it.

There are those of us out here who appreciate what you are doing on behalf of this country. We feel it appropriate to express that appreciation.

As far as what you should say in response, a simple "You're welcome" should satisfy most people. You need not feel obligated to "explain away" gratitude by saying that you're "just doing your job," etc.

Sorry for the hijack. Stay safe and stay in touch. And if you find you need anything when you get there, you know who to ask.

SSKC

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Friday we were told to turn our gear in. Seems like we won't be going. I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed and that I've volunteered for the next rotation already. (Some of us just never learn I guess...) But I wanted to thank everyone here for both their concern and their input. Both were greatly appreciated.

I guess I always just saw it as doing my job. I realize that it's a job a lot of people won't ever do, but like I said, to me it's just my job. I've never felt the need to be thanked, especially by veterans. But thank you again for helping me to see the other side of it.

A1C Lickey

By the way, SSKC, I thought that was funny, not flippant. Of course, I've also got a weird sense of humor too. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Whenever I say thanks for the service, I guess I'm also thanking the whole line, back as far as can be imagined, to those who stood in the cold to protect the family in the cave by the fire, the bloody bare foot Valley Forgians, the brothers who aimed Springfields and Enfields against each other, on and on, and you, A1, for holding this end of the line as if it were just your job. Your being here or there makes no matter. Your being active, reserve, or retired makes no matter. I'm also grateful because I dearly treasure that which you protect and defend.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in english, thank a VET.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts