Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the range today with a friend of mine who is rather new to this firearm world, doesn't even own one yet.
So we went shooting for a while, and then the range owner came to talk to us for a while...
During that time I went to pack my guns so we could leave and then came back to where my friend and the owner were still talking, as I got near, I heard the owner tell my friend that it was a huge mistake when people carried a gun with one in the chamber, that it was stupid and dangerous, and the correct way to carry was with no chambered round and if needed, then rack the slide.
My friend, been so new to this, actually believed him, and it was a pain in the ass to convince him otherwise afterwards, I was really annoyed, and even mre to think that he probably tells that to a lot of new shooters...

Im of the mind set that you should carry how you are comfortable carrying, for instance I carry chambered but with a safety, others choose to carry chambered and no safety and some without a chambered round... But you should not choose one of those out of fear, or irrational reasons. None of this is the wrong way of carrying, removing the safety or racking the slide is not going to take too long, and the scenario of one needing to unholster and fire immediately is not that likely, so you most of the times, will be able to rack the slide, or even more, remove the safety. When I first started carrying, i didnt like to carry chambered, since I was too new, but as I continued carrying, i then carried chambered and no safety, how I chose to go chambered and safety, moslty because where I live, safety guns have a higher resell value, and I do feel more comfortable carrying with safety, not sure why, just like it.

I dont know... just wanted to share and hear thoughts :smilez: :wave:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Anytime anyone tells you that a certain way to carry (within safe limits) and/or train to shoot is stupid, they're no longer worth listening to imho. Inform your friend that chambering a round takes time, time he may not have when 3 guys pounce him in a low-lit parking lot at 10:30 at night. As always, keep your finger off the bang switch until ready to fire and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Given the unsafe nature of many triggers on modern striker guns (Glock, M&P, Bersa, Walther PPQ), I would probably agree. Now a gun with a either a manual safety or a full weight/distance trigger pull, then one in the pipe is fine (P239, Walther P99AS).

·
Banned
854 Posts
Given the unsafe nature of many triggers on modern striker guns (Glock, M&P, Bersa, Walther PPQ), I would probably agree. Now a gun with a either a manual safety or a full weight/distance trigger pull, then one in the pipe is fine (P239, Walther P99AS).
Certainly, a hammer fired firearm is arguably "safer" from the standpoint of having a heavier first trigger pull. However, I think there's plenty of evidence to validate the inherent safety of modern striker fire handguns in condition 0/1. As with any firearm, the safety is the combination of the shooter's trigger finger discipline and training.

For anyone daunted by the idea of carrying one in the pipe because of "trigger safety concerns," I suggest a nice 12 lb pull revolver.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have always believed that it's important to carry how you are most comfortable. For me that's with one in the pipe. For others that might not be the case and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that. All that being said I know for a fact that certain other countries train their forces to carry chamber empty. I recently had the privilege of watching a video of Russian spetsnaz forces being trained in the use of the Makarov. They are trained to rac the slide as they draw the weapon and they were unbelievably fast. In addition I believe the IDF ( Israeli Defense force )is train the same way. I on the other hand am not now ,nor have I ever been, any type of special forces. The last thing I want to deal with in a high stress situation is have to rac a slide or fiddle with a safety when my life depends on it. I'm not that fast or agile. The less I have to think about at a time like that the better. I just keep carrying with one in the pipe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always believed that it's important to carry how you are most comfortable. For me that's with one in the pipe. For others that might not be the case and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that. All that being said I know for a fact that certain other countries train their forces to carry chamber empty. I recently had the privilege of watching a video of Russian spetsnaz forces being trained in the use of the Makarov. They are trained to rac the slide as they draw the weapon and they were unbelievably fast. In addition I believe the IDF ( Israeli Defense force )is train the same way. I on the other hand am not now ,nor have I ever been, any type of special forces. The last thing I want to deal with in a high stress situation is have to rac a slide or fiddle with a safety when my life depends on it. I'm not that fast or agile. The less I have to think about at a time like that the better. I just keep carrying with one in the pipe
Haha yeah same here, and I imagine that there is a LOT of training involved in doing that, which I, or the average citizen, wont be spending hehe

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Does your friend know any law enforcement officers? If he does ask him to ask them if they carry one in the chamber and why. If he hears the truth from people whose lives depend on immediate access other than the normal person then he may see the light. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying law enforcement is better than other people but they do carry more often and have the opportunity to see more "action" than most.

·
Banned
854 Posts
I have always believed that it's important to carry how you are most comfortable. For me that's with one in the pipe. For others that might not be the case and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that. All that being said I know for a fact that certain other countries train their forces to carry chamber empty. I believe the IDF ( Israeli Defense force )is train the same way.
Indeed they are. In fact, empty chamber carry is often referred to as "Israeli carry."

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I have always carried with one in the chamber and I have never owned a handgun with a safety and I'm not about to change now. The owner should have stated that it was his personal preference and not the only way to carry.---Sturgis

Reactions: Mark40

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
For those that advocate not carrying one in the chamber...

You are doing a real disservice to those that don't know any better.

You are assuming way too much, and assumptions can get one killed.
You are assuming that you will have enough time to rack the slide.
You are assuming that you will have two hands in which to use.
You are assuming that you are able to do it correctly, while trying to maintain focus on the threat.
You are assuming that you will be able to diagnose a threat correctly.

Consider the fact that people get killed everyday with guns...and with one it the chamber. Consider that they never had a chance to use their gun for their self defense.

Why...or why...would anyone with half a wit even think that they could successfully chamber a round in a gun and be able to use it when those with loaded guns often can not?

Assuming that you can is being delusional.

Get some proper training and do it right.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
IMO, for what it's worth, carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is much like carrying a club.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Right on.

The owner should have stated that it was his personal preference and not the only way to carry.---Sturgis
great point, agreed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts