Defensive Carry banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time no see, errr, talk, hmmm, anyway...

I can admit from the start, this is a pretty niche-y setup although it does have some practicality. One is it is very similar to shooting with a NVD monocular and an IR laser except you don't have to have the NVD, darkness, or an IR laser. There is also some application where the light is low, but you can see the target but because of low contrast with the target and scope reticle, you can't see the reticle on the target. My cousin had this exact problem hunting hogs. The less expensive solution is an illuminated scope FOR THAT TYPE OF APPLICATION.

Another plus for the laser is HD, succinctly, without the debate about the beam giving you away, in that it allows you to sight without having to bring the gun up to eye level and that would include shooting from awkward positions. Plus, if you practice with a visible laser, you can use a NVD and IR laser and you're already accustom to laser aiming.

It could be helpful with newbies, helping both them and you see things they are doing that they shouldn't be doing. It could also help with instructional efforts. The laser points out the target to the audience; you no longer have to verbally describe what the intended target is.

And, I've discovered - it's FUN!

I'm using a DBAL type laser - that's Dual Beam Aiming Laser. The DBAL has two lasers, a visible beam and an IR beam for use with night vision devices. The on off is the same button and same simple manual of arms whether you use the visible or IR lasers; hence training you do with the visible transfers to the invisible.

There are limitations to the visible laser - it has a limited range in daylight. In direct sunlight or on a target in direct sunlight the beam can wash out at a short range of 25 yards, if that. However, even if the day is bright, but the target is in shade/shadows, the range will be extended. You'll see in the video that you can see the laser up to and beyond 100 yards in light you can read in - as long as the target isn't directly lit by the sun. You'd be surprised how quickly the laser starts to show up on overcast days, and I quickly found that a scope really extends the range.

Lastly, the issue of green or red lasers. This can be tough! The red laser cannot be seen nearly as well as the green laser - I've already clearly demonstrated that to myself. Unfortunately the green laser draws a lot more power from the battery, and it just about goes out below 30° F.

But without further adieu...the video. There are two actually a very short one I did for my cousin and this one:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts