Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Today I got the opportunity to run several rounds of this new mid-power .357 Magnum load through 3 revolvers.

I used a 4" Model 28 to see how the load handled from this barrel length and this large frame revolver. I didn't go longer than 4" since this ammo is intended for self-protection and barrels are usually 4" or less. The shortest barrel tried was on a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19 and it was used to "represent" the snubs out there as well as to see how recoil was from the mid-sized magnum revolver that was so popular for decades. Finally, my 3 1/16" Ruger SP101 was used as an example of the more compact 3" guns toted by many revolver fans. Certainly this won't be an "exact fit" for everyone, but it's as close as I could come.

Corbon has been expanding its line of DPX ammunition, which uses the Barne's homogeneous copper alloy hollow point bullet. It is not intended as a full-power load, but one that can be shot rapidly in smaller revolvers now popular with some shooters.

The DPX was fired into super-saturated newsprint as well as water and compared to several other .357 loads, including the mid-range .357 Remington 125-gr. Golden Saber and the full-power Remington 125-gr. SJHP as well as Winchester's 145-gr. Silvertip.

The expanded DPX at the bottom of the picture was fired into water. The next one was recovered from super-saturated newsprint. All the rest were fired into the wet newsprint. From top to bottom: Remington 125-gr. Golden Saber, Winchester 145-gr. STHP, and Remington 125-gr. SJHP (fragmented).

Accuracy testing was done slow-fire while seated using a rest at both 15 and 25 yards. If it is accurate at these distances, it should be plenty accurate at the distances that most private citizens might find themselves in a deadly force scenario.

Corbon's 125-gr. DPX load grouped nicely with all three test revolvers.

Based on 10 shots fired 10' from the chronograph, the following results were obtained:

S&W Model 19 w/2 1/2" bbl:
Average Velocity: 1133 ft/sec
Std. Deviation: 21

Ruger SP101 w/3 1/16" bbl:
Average Velocity: 1176 ft/sec
Std. Deviation: 24

S&W Model 28 w/4" bbl:
Average Velocity: 1196 ft/sec
Std. Deviation: 27

Felt recoil, albeit subjective, was not bad in any of the weapons. It was a tiny bit "snappier" in the Ruger with its smaller frame and grip, pleasant in the K-frame snub, and literally a "cream puff" out of the N-frame.

For those having an interest in this ammunition, a more detailed report on all aspects of my informal look at this load, follow the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon 357 Magnum 125 gr DPX Ammo.htm

Best.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Steve - most interesting appraisal and invaluable too.

I could well be thinking of that round for my SP 101, even tho it does not see much carry these days. I also think that would be a good choice for 4" M66 house gun too.

That bullet is one nasty lil' critter when it ''blossoms''!

Well, as ever, we are indebted to you for your time and effort. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review there Mr. C.

This round would be perfect for my DW Model 15 if i were to screw on the 2 1/2" barrel I have for it.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Is this stuff available in 9mm?

Never mind, I looked it up 9mm, .357mag, and .357 sig (the last number, 4.0, is bbl. len.):

9 MM LUGER +P...115 GR. DPX 1275 FPS 415 FTLBS 4.0
357 MAG.............125 GR. DPX 1300 FPS 469 FTLBS 4.0
357 SIG...............125 GR. DPX 1300 FPS 469 FTLBS 4.0

If you like .357 mag, you gotta like .357 sig, and you know what, 9mm +P DPX doesn't look too shabby compared to the .357s: 1275 fps versus 1300 fps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tangle-
very interesting. That 9mm +p looks as good as some very reasonable 357 rounds. I am somewhat surprised.
God Bless

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
chiefs-special-guy said:
Tangle-
very interesting. That 9mm +p looks as good as some very reasonable 357 rounds. I am somewhat surprised.
God Bless
Yeah I know; being a 9mm kinda guy, I was pleasantly surprised. Although, I believe someone referred to the .357 mag loads as medium, and that is what they appear to be. But if they work, they work and if they work at those velocities, the 9mm +P should work pretty well too.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Stephen,

Thanks for the good info!

I'm gonna have to get some of this stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Stephen,
I've been waiting for these rounds to come out. Can't wait to get a few boxes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts