Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
I personally like her emphasis on getting good training. No, I do not believe training should be mandatory to any "certain level of competence." I know for sure that when I got my carry permit I did a lot of shooting, including some competition, and took more classes before I knew I had enough control of my gun to carry it and have it be of any use to me for SD.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
My daughter is in the same situation that she described. Single, living alone in the Orlando area. We have been In a lot of discussion about her carrying.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
103 Posts
I stopped reading when I read this from the article.

"... However, the hammerless .38 special won’t have that same feeling. The grip is much more framed for the hand. Also, it is very much “what you see is what you get.” It holds only five rounds, and once the safety is released on the side, it is ready to fire with no other action besides a hard pull on the trigger..."

·
Registered
8,816 Posts

"... However, the hammerless .38 special won’t have that same feeling. The grip is much more framed for the hand. Also, it is very much “what you see is what you get.” It holds only five rounds, and once the safety is released on the side, it is ready to fire with no other action besides a hard pull on the trigger..."
I wondered if anyone else saw that. I'm going to chalk it up to literary license. This is written by a woman who seems fairly new to guns and carry. Everything else she says is spot on.

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Registered
205 Posts

You should have continued to where the author writes this:

"...Take, for instance, a 9mm Glock. It is heavy and bulky; you can feel the power in the weapon as soon as the metal hits your hand. Semiautomatic handguns require the clunky “chick-chick” sound as they are loaded."

Although there is no shortage of totally incompetent buffoons and blowhards posing as "Instructors" in the field of armed self-defense, I hope the author's gun guru did not actually advocate carrying a Glock for self-defense without a round chambered (...or gripping it by the metal parts!).

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
She is new, enthusiastic and like many newbies they want to get everyone else on board. I understand that so I give her a pass. She is probably dazzled by all the weapons and handled a bunch of different ones and has trouble remembering which did what.

I know I'm speculating and reading into her article that isn't there but - I don't want to throw stones at someone who's message is well intended and aimed at a new untrained and generally gun ignorant audience. That crowd won't catch her errors and might be encouraged to get into a position where they are enabled to defend themselves.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The constitution's "...All Men" is, and has always been, universally gender-neutral (*except that pesky voting thing, which was corrected by the 19th amendment on Aug. 18, 1920). :biggrin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts