Defensive Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
Rewatching the video a few times on slo-mo, there was plenty of assault to go around. The Pittsburgh QB appears to choke and/or twist Garrett while on the ground, kick him in the crotch three times, and then go at him once upright while his lineman restrained him. Escalation of the confrontation, disparity of force and then, boom, a force multilpier in response.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Rewatching the video a few times on slo-mo, there was plenty of assault to go around. The Pittsburgh QB appears to choke and/or twist Garrett while on the ground, kick him in the crotch three times, and then go at him once upright while his lineman restrained him. Escalation of the confrontation, disparity of force and then, boom, a force multilpier in response.
Many states (mine is one of them) have "mutual combat" laws on the books. If there is a fight, and both parties are equally willing participants, it may be hard to make an assault charge stick. I'm not sure any local prosecutor wants to be the test case, or try and make (or break) a career based on this type of case...

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Boxers have died from injuries sustained in the ring. Each party signed a contract, mutually accepting the rules and the risks. Let the league handle it. Let the millionaires sue if they think the league is negligent in the rules.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just treat professional athletes like the gladiators they are. I like sports but these guys are nothing more than men who are good at GAMES. I could care less what they think, say or feel. They have chosen a life of non-intellectual entertainment and when it comes to sports like boxing, football hockey etc that are hyper violent I have zero sympathy or care for their physical well being. They made their choice, now live with it.

ENTERTAIN ME!

Get hurt up top. Drag 'em off the field by the legs. Get hurt down below. Drag 'em off the field by the arms. Spinal, get a wheel barrow.

Keep the game moving!

As I'm typing this I watched my team, Alabama cart their quarterback Tua off the field. How much do I care? Not at all. Keep the game moving and there is always a replacement...

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Football is a violent sport. And while it should not be violent between plays, it often is.

Do we want to see cops come on the field and arrest players when one player slaps another? When one player throws another to the ground after the play is called dead? Or a cheap shot delivered out of bounds? Of course not.

Garret bonked Rudolph on the head with a helmet. Fine him and suspend him a game or two (And of course Goodell overreacted with the suspension, keeping his track record of being a lousy NFL commissioner intact for another season).

Rudolph acted like an idiot, too. Hopefully he mans up and doesn't pretend to be the "victim."

It's the big leagues, and this was just a couple of guys that lost their cool, and nobody was hurt.

Last thing I want to see is some snowflake woe-is-me crap in the NFL.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Just treat professional athletes like the gladiators they are. I like sports but these guys are nothing more than men who are good at GAMES. I could care less what they think, say or feel. They have chosen a life of non-intellectual entertainment and when it comes to sports like boxing, football hockey etc that are hyper violent I have zero sympathy or care for their physical well being. They made their choice, now live with it.

ENTERTAIN ME!

Get hurt up top. Drag 'em off the field by the legs. Get hurt down below. Drag 'em off the field by the arms. Spinal, get a wheel barrow.

Keep the game moving!

As I'm typing this I watched my team, Alabama cart their quarterback Tua off the field. How much do I care? Not at all. Keep the game moving and there is always a replacement...
What the heck? Tua T. dislocated and fractured his hip, and he may never be able to play again.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What the heck? Tua T. dislocated and fractured his hip, and he may never be able to play again.
So what?

I still don't care. Athletes are disposable commodities and they've chosen that path. They're treated like thoroughbreds and primped and prodded when useful. Put out to pasture and forgotten when they're not useful.

Hopefully he paid attention in class and has skills that translate outside the field that don't include playing with balls.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Who cares?
I understand...I haven't watched a single down of NFL in several years, but the issue is deeper than just entertainment. Every American should care when someone breaks the law with impunity. That implies we have a dual system of justice - the very antithesis of Lady Justice, who is blindfolded for a reason. What do we suppose would happen to one of us if we engaged in something like that brawl during a Saturday sandlot pick-up football game?

Maybe I'm too simple minded. I believe every American should be held to the same standard of justice.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
So what?

I still don't care. Athletes are disposable commodities and they've chosen that path. They're treated like thoroughbreds and primped and prodded when useful. Put out to pasture and forgotten when they're not useful.

Hopefully he paid attention in class and has skills that translate outside the field that don't include playing with balls.
Lots of hostility there. And a very strange viewpoint - no empathy for anyone that engages in an activity that may result in injury.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Lots of hostility there. And a very strange viewpoint - no empathy for anyone that engages in an activity that may result in injury.
You are right. I was being callous in my posts.

Not a good excuse, I was in a bad mood this morning when I had posted that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts