Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get to go to my buddies farm to do this much anymore but does anyone else practice moving and shooting while bending your knees more and less to make your head bob up and down while they shoot like I do once In a while? If you do what are your thoughts. I have issues moving to the right and staying on target but if I walk to my left I can stay on target better. This seems to not make much sense accept I shoot right handed, I was thinking of trying left handed shooting to see if I stay on target better. I don't have an issue shooting left handed, I'm not as accurate but it's not that bad just larger groupings.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I to old and broken down to bob and weave and if on my knees !! I screwed . I do move left and right while I shoot and have steels and cardboard targets at home to practice on .

I practiced left handed shooting for as long as I have carried . 29 .. Not that great as a lefty but I'm ok shooting weal hand .

Get an airsoft version of your carry pistol and you can hang an old blanket pin a target to it and practice at home or in a garage . Even an ole spring loaded extendable curtain rod fit in a door opening with blanket will work , airsoft pellets hit and drop to the floor and will stay on the curled up bottom of the blanket .

My only concern with defensive drills is keeping bullet impact inside the center chest A zone on a target .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Get an airsoft version of your carry pistol and you can hang an old blanket pin a target to it and practice at home or in a garage . Even an ole spring loaded extendable curtain rod fit in a door opening with blanket will work , airsoft pellets hit and drop to the floor and will stay on the curled up bottom of the blanket . My only concern with defensive drills is keeping bullet impact inside the center chest A zone on a target .
Excellent suggestion.

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
My wife and I run, shoot on the move, walk and respond to a call of "threat", etc. Draw, shoot, and reload weak hand only. Kneel and use cover. Anything so we are not standing rooted in one place.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
I don't get to go to my buddies farm to do this much anymore but does anyone else practice moving and shooting while bending your knees more and less to make your head bob up and down while they shoot like I do once In a while? If you do what are your thoughts. I have issues moving to the right and staying on target but if I walk to my left I can stay on target better. This seems to not make much sense accept I shoot right handed, I was thinking of trying left handed shooting to see if I stay on target better. I don't have an issue shooting left handed, I'm not as accurate but it's not that bad just larger groupings.
No, nor will I entertain the idea. First time I've ever heard of this being discussed on any gun board. Purposely making the head bob up and down while moving and shooting. If you're moving fast enough, it's already moving in that manner.

You may be suffering from over thinking this.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I do practice shooting while moving in my tactical class but we strive NOT to bounce the head up and down. We call it the "Groucho" walk. Knees bent, moving quickly but trying to keep the upper body and head as quiet as possible. Kind of like what you see SWAT do on TV. :image035:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
No, nor will I entertain the idea. First time I've ever heard of this being discussed on any gun board. Purposely making the head bob up and down while moving and shooting. If you're moving fast enough, it's already moving in that manner.

You may be suffering from over thinking this.
Folks need to move like God intended them to move.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
I do practice shooting while moving in my tactical class but we strive NOT to bounce the head up and down. We call it the "Groucho" walk. Knees bent, moving quickly but trying to keep the upper body and head as quiet as possible. Kind of like what you see SWAT do on TV. :image035:
When I told the AFPJ's I was going to show them how to shoot on the move, they told me they already had that training. I told them to line up single file and move past me at 5 yrds from left to right one at a time. They did the groucho and they all got nailed with the airsoft. Then I explained that's not dynamic enough and we were going to be really moving and shooting on the run.

They were under the false impression that if they groucho they've got shooting on the move down, but they all fell to the 6mm plastic pellets as they groucho'd by me. I won't use it, it's not moving fast enough to keep from being popped.

·
Registered
642 Posts
One day for one reason or the other you might end up navigating from a wheel chair I've been navigating from mine for near 12 years. You'd be surprised at the amount of agility the different moves pushing off with one foot while correcting with the other, spinning around on a dime in a heartbeat. My wife always wanted me to get one of those electric models but i had different ideas concerning staying in shape. Always accentuate the positive and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There is a big difference between target plinking and training. I think there might be another thread about that going right now :yup:

as for airsoft - it is a fantastic method for training while on the move. My boys have roped me into it and really enjoy running through different scenarios with them. I take a pistol and give them the full auto rifles. Trust me - I am learning to Move my X and move it fast!

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Aside from a military context you will not be in a fight where you can afford to lay down suppressive fire. If you are moving to cover, MOVE. At very close range you can move and hit, but in a very crowded venue with anyone you would be justified in shooting you cannot afford to miss.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
When I told the AFPJ's I was going to show them how to shoot on the move, they told me they already had that training. I told them to line up single file and move past me at 5 yrds from left to right one at a time. They did the groucho and they all got nailed with the airsoft. Then I explained that's not dynamic enough and we were going to be really moving and shooting on the run.

They were under the false impression that if they groucho they've got shooting on the move down, but they all fell to the 6mm plastic pellets as they groucho'd by me. I won't use it, it's not moving fast enough to keep from being popped.
Do you have a video about how you DO move, without bouncing your head up and down?

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Do you have a video about how you DO move, without bouncing your head up and down?
Im not Brownie, but if you look at some of Pat Macs videos you will see him running and gunning and his head stays pretty still....

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
Here's one, 3 steps 4 shots on threat, no groucho walking. Notice my head isn't moving vertically much if at all to either left or right. The stability of the head is more prevalent with the helmet cam. Not much up and down

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
God intends for me to run like hell! What I need to practice is to be smooth enough to shoot effectively back! DR
Keep your head steady. Its not that hard....:image035:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Wow, that's pretty close shooting steel. Do you ever have much problems with splatter? I accidently "shot" my instructor from 10 yds back shooting steel. He was behind me and splatter came back and embedded itself in his forearm. He had to pop it out like a blackhead!

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts