Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious just to see what the answers will be.

I know there's a couple threads here asking people how they carry in general, and how they feel about certain methods, but here's a question I haven't quite seen an answer to:

If you do not use a cover garment such as a vest or a jacket and have to tuck your shirt in, how do you carry?

This seems very problematic to me as most people tend to tuck in the waistband. I can think of two very obvious carry methods that solve this problem, but I wonder if there are more. The more I learn about CCW, the more ingenuity I see out there on the market.

Of course you may never have to carry under such conditions, in which case feel free to speculate how you would do so. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I use a Tuck This Desantis holster . All that shows is a edge of the clip outside the belt. Put my spare mag. in a knive pouch right next to the clip to further hide the gun. I can use an ankle holster too , but like waist carry better. Would like to try the Kramer shirt holster too.

·
Administrator
144,510 Posts
Tuck This ~ Desantis It's called: ~ "Tuck This"

Euclidean ~ Here is a photo for you.
I was going to add more photos...but I decided "tuck it" at the last minute. :biggrin:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Might have to get me one of those.. Lot of times i carry mine in my work coat pocket since im inside and out more outside i can use the coat

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
I have never tried one, but in an earlier thread there were quite a few people that liked the SmartCarry. As my pants need replacing, I might try one at some point but I normally just wear a shirttail out over my IWB holster and it hides it pretty well....

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
Euclidean said:
Wow... SmartCarry is probably a fantastic product, but I'm not sure I want a gun... down there. That's something I'm not pyschologically ready for.
LOL, yeah there is that. I always imagined how comical it would be for a BG to confront you and suddenly have you reaching for the front of your pants. He might just turn around and run.... :smile:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then again I'm mildly interested in getting one of those thigh bands for times when deep cover is better than no cover. To pull from one of those (assuming yer an XY type) you have to unzip your fly and stick your hand in. It seems like a pretty quick draw but it sure would look weird.

I'd rather have that then have a gun so close to my, ahem, vitals. Not to mention it would get in the way if you had to go relieve yourself. Honestly, how does one, er, dispose of liquid bodily wastes wearing one of those things?

I think if you could get over the Freudian hangups though it'd be a great solution to the tucked in shirt, no cover garment situation. But I think I'll give that one a miss for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you like leather and need it tuckable, look at the GS Tuckable by H.B.E. Specialty Leather Works (Eric Larsen).

His standard model was a one-arm attachment but I wanted something a little different. I wanted it to have two arms, one on each side of the firearm. This, in my opinion, would make it a little more stable by spreading the weight out and would also make the holster thinner by removing the center attachment point.

You can see the one we came up with for my Glock 19 at his site.
http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/
On the left side of the page find costumer pictures, go to page 2, Dave's G19 and a GS Tuckable

This holster is very comfortable and with the arm attachment design, Extremely Tuckable.

Options I chose:
1) 10 deg. angled cant, I carry at 3:30/4:00
2) High ride height
3) Permanent loops
4) Open top
5) High back
6) Rough side of leather out
7) Horse hide reinforced open top

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of our members at missouricarry is a smartcarry dealer. He claims to have put a S&W 500 in his smartcarry rig...shudder...shudder...

I see no reason not to believe him, but thats a heck of a cannon to carry around.

Personally, I carry in IWB or in a shoulder rig. I leave my shirt untucked. Sometimes I just wear a another shirt as an additional cover garment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a friend that uses the Galco Skyops holster. He swears by the thing. I have one of these on order for my Sig P226.

What you see:

What you don't see:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Belly- band

I use a Galco belly-band.

Galco- Bellyband

Works great for when you have to have a tucked shirt (work)
It also is nice that I can use it for my Xd sc and my Sig Pro.

Other pro's:
Doesn't pull your pants down when using a public restroom.
Can adjust 360 around the waist plus up and down the torso.
(I have recently moved from under the belt to above the belt for everyday carry)

Cons:
Very hard to re holster. It can be done without taking the band off but It takes practice and could be a safety issue. I personally take the band off to re-holster or rotate the band to the front, holster, then readjust.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
I used to use Smart Carry back when it was known as THUNDERWEAR. First it was very uncomfortable for me. But my wife had the final say when we'd go out for dinner and a waitress would keep glancing into my lap and giving the wife a BIG wink! LOL

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well my first first tuck holster was a Galco SkyOp....did a lot of looking at the pictures on their website and figured geesh! This really is cool. I got mine in the mail, strapped that sucker on with my Kimber.....looked in the mirror (no vanity here)....holy cow, this really looks good! Then I turned and faced the mirror.....my god! I'm deformed.... I've got this hump back on my frickin hip!
I guess technically it is concealed, but with that bulge, you won't fool the sharpeyes out there. I wound up later getting the PagerPal....at least with it, the bulge is in an area that is a little more believeable!

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Wait....you put a KIMBER in a "Pager Pal?" Is your beeper from the 1970s? What do you carry in a Pager Pal?

·
Administrator
144,510 Posts
Fist Gunleather

Also has tuckable. Their prices are usually very reasonable.
Neat Animated Graphic "borrowed" from the FIST HOLSTERS site.
It should be OK to borrow it for a while since I'm posting a link to their web site.
The guy needs to "work out" a little bit but, it's a neat animation. :biggrin:
Visit their Gallery Of Holsters.

Here is the link to the FIST site.
FIST HOLSTERS Click Here

·
Registered
51 Posts
My unconventional solution...

is the DeSantis Nemesis. It's designed to be a pocket holster, but I use it IWB. I had searched around for a discreet tuckable IWB, but couldn't find anything to suit my needs. Even the models using the C-clips leave too much of the retention system showing for my purposes, so I decided to forego the traditional loops, clips, straps, etc. and ended up with a mode of carry that is as close to perfect for me as anything else I have ever tried. It's best described as Mexican carry in a holster.

The Nemesis is contructed of nylon, with an internal (plastic?) stiffener, and a pebbled rubber exterior. The stuff is VERY "sticky". Once I get the gun/holster in my sweet spot - strong side 4:00/"cup" of the buttock - it does not move. I've been carrying a CZ75A in it every day for six months now - walking, running, chores around the house, etc. - and have even experienced a couple of hard falls on the ice - but the gun/holster stayed put. What most would likely regard as an potentially unacceptable sacrifice in secure retention (which I have yet to experience) is more than made up for in versatility, convenience, comfort and effective "deep" concealment. Yes, there is a bulge where the gun is - which you are going to have with any gun of any size - but with a cell phone placed on the belt just in front of the bulge - it's nearly invisible.

Going from standing to sitting to standing does occasionally cause the gun/holster to "shift" slightly - but a casual trouser/belt upward tug (a very natural move when standing up) easily corrects any shifting. The most significant aspect of this mode of carry is that the gun is literally secured by the trousers rather than the belt and so the weight is more evenly distributed. I actually feel more like I am "wearing" the gun than "carrying" it.

I know most would not care for my solution - but then, personally, I could not go the Smart Carry route. We all seek our own solutions - and the Nemesis is mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts