Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remora Holsters,

In April of this year, I made a terrible mistake. I needed a holster after I purchased my first handgun. The misstep cost me a nearly universal experience in the CC community, one that many speak so fondly of... I don't have the time-honored 'drawer-full' of holsters. I have no variety, no favorite holster for each occasion, no joy when I see a wall of beautiful, innovative, well-crafted holsters in my local gun shop. I gaze in despair at the small, unassuming black holster that resides on my dresser at night and grieve for all the fine leather holsters I could have, but will most likely never own.

My great mistake occurred when I purchased a Remora Clipless IWB holster for my .40 M&P Shield. I work in corporate-style office in Florida, and must have my shirt tucked in at all
times. I also work with people who are not friendly towards concealed carry and who know how to spot the tell-tale loops or clips of conventional IWB tuckable holsters. After much research, it seemed my only option was the Remora Clipless IWB Holster, which claimed I could tuck it in completely and securely with no part of the holster being visible.

I apprehensively ordered the Remora Clipless IWB holster with the full sweat shield and Remora-Hyde leather option. The holster within a few days, and opened the package to find...exactly what I ordered. I inserted my brand new .40 M&P Shield into the holster, slipped the holster into the waistband of my jeans and concealed carried for the first time in my life.

What I then experienced was mind-blowing. I'd seen post after post complaining of how uncomfortable it was to conceal carry IWB, how it would take months or even years to find something that was tolerable, that would stay in place, that would allow me to sit without immediate pain.

What I felt was....almost nothing. It was almost like the gun wasn't even there. I checked to make sure it was still on my hip and in place. It hadn't moved a millimeter. I walked around... no movement. I jogged... no movement. I did jumping jacks, immediately wished I hadn't, caught my breath... no movement. This holster, with no clips, loops or bolts attaching it to my pelvis, had not moved at all. What's more, when I put on a regular shirt I wear all the time, the gun absolutely disappeared. I know the M&P Shield is slim, but this was far beyond the level of concealment I was expecting. I asked my wife to figure out where the gun was on my waist, and she had no idea.

The infamous 'Wally Walk' went off without a hitch, and the ride there and back produced no pain in my hips or back whatsoever. The gun also remained firmly in place.

It's now mid-September, and I wear this holster from the moment I wake up until I turn in for the night, usually about 15 hours every day. There's practically no discomfort whatsoever, and 90% of the time, I have to actively try to notice the gun at the 4:00 position on my hip. Otherwise, it's like I'm not even wearing one.

I LOVE buying gizmos and gadgets for everything I'm interested in. My tackle box is almost too heavy to carry because of all the different lures, pliers, beads, sinkers, etc. I own more gadgets for my iPhone than I care to think about.

I say all that, to say this.... I own ONE holster, and my Remora holster has ruined my dream of owning the gorgeous Bianchi holsters that I so longed for. I cannot find a situation where it doesn't work flawlessly, I cannot find a situation where it's uncomfortable, I cannot find a situation where it doesn't conceal perfectly under everything but a tight t-shirt, and I cannot bring myself to purchase another holster, because I know I would eventually just return to my Remora.

I realize that every person has unique body shapes and sizes, unique situations and environments and unique carry requirements. I concede that this holster isn't as 'pretty' as some, doesn't have nearly as many features as some and may not fit the needs of every person. However, for me, it has exceeded every expectation and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Remora, you have stolen the 'Thrill of the Hunt' from me, because you may have designed the perfect holster for my needs. As I write this, my M&P Shield, which I have affectionately named 'The Grinch' (because he's a mean one) is sitting securely, comfortably and concealed on my side. Thank you for making such an excellent product and for making defending myself and my family much more comfortable and practical than I expected.

Best Regards,

The Grinch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
How well does the holster stay in place when you untuck your shirt to draw? Does the shirt material release smoothly from the sticky Remora material and leave the holster in place? That would be my primary concern with it being IWB tucked.

Reactions: robhic and SatCong

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
I really think you should buy a second Remora Holster. The price is right and they usually throw in the magazine pouch. There's an old saying One is none. Two is one . And though I don't carry in them very often I have 3 of them ( One regular and one re enforced opening for my G17. One for my G26 and a Sticky Holster for my Ruger SR40C. It's nice to have a backup holster. At Remoras price point they make it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Grinch, I was all primed & ready to bust your chops about being a newbie bad-mouthing Remora holsters because you; didn't read the instructions, or weren't wearing a gunbelt, or even a belt of ANY sort, with sweat pants. Your post wasn't just a surprise & a treat. You agree with ME, which makes you (IMHO)...brilliant! :hand5:

Well Done! :congrats:

Reactions: Sky Pilot and SWIll

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My Remora is shorter, and doesn't cover the grip. Maybe that was my mistake when ordering, as the first time I carried, I leaned over and my 9mm Shield hit the floor, much to my amazement. A co-worker commented, "your gun fell on the floor". My trust was shattered, and it took it's place in the "holster drawer".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Remora is shorter, and doesn't cover the grip. Maybe that was my mistake when ordering, as the first time I carried, I leaned over and my 9mm Shield hit the floor, much to my amazement. A co-worker commented, "your gun fell on the floor". My trust was shattered, and it took it's place in the "holster drawer".
This holster definitely doesn't have much retention, I'll give you that. I've never had my gun fall out while carrying, but turning the holster upside-down with the gun in it isn't even a possibility lol. I keep my gun riding pretty low, with the seam of the holster just visible, so that everything past the grip is either covered or positioned under my belt/pants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How well does the holster stay in place when you untuck your shirt to draw? Does the shirt material release smoothly from the sticky Remora material and leave the holster in place? That would be my primary concern with it being IWB tucked.
I keep the holster between my boxers (maybe TMI) and my pants/tucked shirt. When I draw, 99% of the time the holster doesn't budge, as it 'sticks' to my skin so securely. The shirt also removes surprisingly smoothly from the holster for the holster being rubber-coated. The only time I have had it move was when I accidentally pinched the holster with my thumb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really think you should buy a second Remora Holster. The price is right and they usually throw in the magazine pouch. There's an old saying One is none. Two is one . And though I don't carry in them very often I have 3 of them ( One regular and one re enforced opening for my G17. One for my G26 and a Sticky Holster for my Ruger SR40C. It's nice to have a backup holster. At Remoras price point they make it easy.

Kennydale: I should have mentioned, they did include a free mag pouch when I received my holster. I generally keep my extra mag in the 'pocket watch' pocket of my pants, so I don't have much experience with it, but seems to perform about the same.

I do plan on eventually ordering a second Remora holster with the mag pouch attached to the main holster, but haven't been inconvenienced enough yet to do so lol. However, I totally agree that I should get a backup, that's slacking on my part. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Ianthin: I keep the holster between my boxers (maybe TMI) and my pants/tucked shirt. When I draw, 99% of the time the holster doesn't budge, as it 'sticks' to my skin so securely. The shirt also removes surprisingly smoothly from the holster for the holster being rubber-coated. The only time I have had it move was when I accidentally pinched the holster with my thumb.
That's an option I hadn't considered, but it makes sense. I can't get a Remora to stay in place, but I carry larger guns. I do like them as a storage holster for unused guns in the safe though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grinch, I was all primed & ready to bust your chops about being a newbie bad-mouthing Remora holsters because you; didn't read the instructions, or weren't wearing a gunbelt, or even a belt of ANY sort, with sweat pants. Your post wasn't just a surprise & a treat. You agree with ME, which makes you (IMHO)...brilliant! :hand5:

Well Done! :congrats:
Newbie doesn't even begin to cover it lol, I learn something new on here every time I visit. Just wanted to share the good experience I've had, and am glad you're having the same! Thanks

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
That's an option I hadn't considered, but it makes sense. I can't get a Remora to stay in place, but I carry larger guns. I do like them as a storage holster for unused guns in the safe though.
That's the main use for me also . Especially my G17 with 33 round magazine for nightstand. I just don't want to grab my Glock from a deep sleep and have an ND. Those fractions of a second that it takes for me to get firearm from holster seems to clear sleep cobwebs

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My Remora (enclosing a BHP) stays as cozy snug as a gnat's butt over a doorknob. Wonder what we're doing differently? :blink:

Wait! KennyD, I've seen your concealed holster selfies. Our waistlines are NOT the same, uhhh... configuration. :gah:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a couple Remoras. Not one issue with them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I purchased a Remora several years ago. I've not had any issues with it. It has kept it "sticky" properties and does a great job for me. Enjoy!

·
Registered
596 Posts
When I carry the G19, it is in a standard remora at about 4:30, and low in the waistline. I like mine and have never had any issues with it.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Gramps has been using one of our several Remoras for everyday carry for quite a while. He has found that if he doesn't wash the outside of it fairly regularly it loses it stickiness. He likes it a lot better than any of his other IWB holsters - leather or Kydex.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Carry a remora reinforced top everyday. I ordered one with the ulticlip for those times when I'm not wearing a belt. Love it. I have owned probably 5 of their holsters. They are great and secure.

-Adam.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts