Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSPs to get power to ban airguns | Scotland | STV News

Powers to ban airguns in Scotland are expected to be handed over from Westminster to Holyrood.

Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scotland.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK Government would be setting out its response to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law and welcomed the news.

Sharon said: "This is the best Christmas present we ever could have wished for.

"This might not be the end, but I feel we have turned a corner and it's certainly the beginning of the end.

"I feel we are fulfilling the promise to Andrew that we made at his graveside, and that is for a total ban on airguns in Scotland."

A spokesman for Michael Russell, minister for constitution, said: "The Scottish Government published the necessary Parliamentary Orders in the summer to transfer a range of key powers to Holyrood, as recommended by the Calman Commission - including over air weapons.

"These changes should be happening right now, but Labour have refused to support any action until after the next election, which is very disappointing.

"Bringing responsibility for firearms legislation to Holyrood will allow us to create a firearms regime that meets Scotland's needs, concerns and circumstances.

"Unfortunately, Jim Murphy and the Labour Party are trying to kick constitutional progress for Scotland into the long grass."

Tint Bob (UK)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
MSPs to get power to ban airguns | Scotland | STV News

Powers to ban airguns in Scotland are expected to be handed over from Westminster to Holyrood.

Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scotland.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK Government would be setting out its response to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law and welcomed the news.

Sharon said: "This is the best Christmas present we ever could have wished for.

"This might not be the end, but I feel we have turned a corner and it's certainly the beginning of the end.

"I feel we are fulfilling the promise to Andrew that we made at his graveside, and that is for a total ban on airguns in Scotland."

A spokesman for Michael Russell, minister for constitution, said: "The Scottish Government published the necessary Parliamentary Orders in the summer to transfer a range of key powers to Holyrood, as recommended by the Calman Commission - including over air weapons.

"These changes should be happening right now, but Labour have refused to support any action until after the next election, which is very disappointing.

"Bringing responsibility for firearms legislation to Holyrood will allow us to create a firearms regime that meets Scotland's needs, concerns and circumstances.

"Unfortunately, Jim Murphy and the Labour Party are trying to kick constitutional progress for Scotland into the long grass."

Tint Bob (UK)
The once mighty British Empire has sunk into a quagmire of stupidity and obscurity. It is a husk of its former greatness. What a sad situation for this former global colonial giant. :dead:

·
Administrator
144,030 Posts
No problem at all.
If any evil power is ever going to invade - they can just send another plea out to the U.S. and beg to be sent any and all available firearms and ammunition - just as was done before they thought invasion was imminent during World Way II when millions of U.S. citizens donated firearms to the cause of their homeland defense.
That were ultimately destroyed and never returned...by the way.

Idiots!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill ruined it for me when he sent the Lockerbie bomber back to Lybia. I think they should ban all weapons in Scotland. I will enjoy the spectacle of the crooks and Imams taking over. We need a spectacular failure of a western European country as an object lesson for the RKBA. I thought it was going to be the Netherlands, but it may as well be Scotland.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Next on the agenda they will be banning Air

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I am not surprised. Sad, but not surprised.
Spent a couple of weeks there back in 1979. Beautiful country.
But after learning what haggis is, I do not put anything past people that willingly eat it!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
But after learning what haggis is, I do not put anything past people that willingly eat it!
:rofl:
I hear you but a country that has produced the likes of Sean Connery, Billy Connolly, and Sheena Easton can't be all bad. :bier:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The problem they have over there are the "scroats" aka white trash, who have no respect for any law, live off the social and dont have any idea what the 12ft/lb rifle they swopped for 20 bensons can do.

But as usual the powers that be get the old "knee jerk" we are "tough on crime" dance going and in the process screw a large number of honest decent people who just wanna target shoot, or pop off a few rabbits!

Just make firing an air weapon deliberately at someone punishable by an automatic 10 year sentence......then enforce it!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Scotland the brave. :confused:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am not surprised. Sad, but not surprised.
Spent a couple of weeks there back in 1979. Beautiful country.
Oh, come on, Haggis is not that bad. Had some back in May as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No problem at all.
If any evil power is ever going to invade - they can just send another plea out to the U.S. and beg to be sent any and all available firearms and ammunition - just as was done before they thought invasion was imminent during World Way II when millions of U.S. citizens donated firearms to the cause of their homeland defense.
That were ultimately destroyed and never returned...by the way.

Idiots!
Excellent point!
This is not very often mentioned, as though it's been completely forgotten, or more certainly disregarded. Pitty, a "Thank You" would have been nice and I've never heard that we got one.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Well, you might shoot your eye out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well something that sticks in my mind is this documentary that you can watch on youtube.com called Innocents Betrayed: Gun Control History.

Do a search for it at youtube.com or click on the link in my signature to take you to a post I made with links to each part of the series. This to me is the real danger for those who are subjected to disarmament. The current British government may not plan this outcome but they will be willing accomplices if their government suddenly collapses and is taken over by an enemy. People will be helpless and will suffer greatly until someone like the USA steps in. That is to say, if we are willing or even able to at that stage.

Not good news for anyone involved. My message to the Scottish people is to stand up for their right to self defense but it may be well past that since they are disarmed already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts