Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this guy that works in the middle of a big city and had a wild coyote come into his shop...he pulled his carry weapon and shot it 3 times before it died...its my understanding it didn't attack anyone and was just standing there before finally dropping after the 3rd shot.

My question is what is the repercussions of firing on an animal inside the city limits and how should it be handled? Call the police and report you just shot an animal or what? Just kind of curious what kind of problems I might be looking at especially if the animal wasn't attacking me. If its a case of me or him, the animal is going down no questions asked...but if its a dangerous wild animal and MIGHT attack is it still OK to stand your ground and discharge a weapon inside the city limits?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That is just so lame.

How about yelling at it to scare it away and going back to work.

I completely and utterly dont get the threat from a standing coyote that I couldnt scare away using voice and waving hands.

Did I mention how utterly stupid it was to shoot and kill the coyote in this instance from tactical, legal, and necessity standpoints?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
While it might be considered getting dinner in Arkansas, it would be considered unsporting and illegal here. If it poses a threat it legal and that would over-ride an "inside city limits" charge, but I would have been more tempted to toss it a sandwich. This guy disgusts me and should not be allowed to have a weapon, or go outside without a helmet.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Will probably depend on state laws. I would have been very worried if a coyote had just wandered into my shop when I owned it. They will normally do everything possible to avoid humans. If they have lost that fear, or are sick they can be very dangerous. I'd rather not wait to find out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of what was said above echoes my feelings....I was not there so I don't have all the facts, just relaying what I know. There are coyote seasons around here to hunt them but I don't know if they are in season right now either.

I am of the feeling I would try to scare it off before shooting it and if it attacked its going down...they might have tried, I'm not sure....it just got me to thinking about different situations. He did recover the bullets, they went into some wood stacked up behind the animal and as far as I know never reported the shooting. He mentioned someone standing outside thought it sounded like a pallet being thrown around.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
A wild animal coming into a shop in the middle of the day and being docile is not something you or your kids want to be around or have around. I say good he got rid of it. Most likely it was sick.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
That is just so lame.

How about yelling at it to scare it away and going back to work.

I completely and utterly dont get the threat from a standing coyote that I couldnt scare away using voice and waving hands.

Did I mention how utterly stupid it was to shoot and kill the coyote in this instance from tactical, legal, and necessity standpoints?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...
What???? Dude... Haven't you seen that movie with Liam Neeson? Those things are killers! One tracked him down and almost did him in singlehandedly (OK, it has paws, not hands, whatever). Anyway, they are seriously dangerous and they can... Oh... Ummm.... Sorry, that was wolves. Never mind.

:stooges:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
What???? Dude... Haven't you seen that movie with Liam Neeson? Those things are killers! One tracked him down and almost did him in singlehandedly (OK, it has paws, not hands, whatever). Anyway, they are seriously dangerous and they can... Oh... Ummm.... Sorry, that was wolves. Never mind.

:stooges:

no no...youre right. I forgot the Liam rule of thumb regarding very small predators. Thx for the reminder. :)

Wild hog, yes. Wild boar, yes. Shoot. Pitbull charging, yes.

Coyote? Please.

And as far as the sickness/rabid idea, follow step number one with voice and hands...yelling LOUD. If that doesnt scare it off or if it attacks, then have at it.

And another thing....oh wait, there's a big Texas sized brown Tarantula in the master bath...gotta hop 'n get my Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics modified Arsenal SBR AK 'n take care of bidness.....

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
no no...youre right. I forgot the Liam rule of thumb regarding very small predators. Thx for the reminder. :)

Wild hog, yes. Wild boar, yes. Shoot. Pitbull charging, yes.

Coyote? Please.

And as far as the sickness/rabid idea, follow step number one with voice and hands...yelling LOUD. If that doesnt scare it off or if it attacks, then have at it.

And another thing....oh wait, there's a big Texas sized brown Tarantula in the master bath...gotta hop 'n get my Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics modified Arsenal SBR AK 'n take care of bidness.....
You forgot beavers. Beavers + paparazzi = carnage

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ussion/165471-holy-smokes-respect-nature.html

Reactions: TVJ

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Coyotes are not normally around people for long...they will quickly run. If one is approaching me in a business or subdivision, I'd quickly dispatch it. They have been known to attack pets and small children, and one that will approach humans is very dangerous.OMOYMV

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
A wild animal with zero fear inside a garage/building? No mercy, IMO.

If merely seen outside, seen running in some direction, or seen far from people/buildings, that's one thing. But, inside? IMO, the rules change.

·
Super Moderator
19,017 Posts
We have quit a few around here and can hear them yelping to each others groups at night. I hunt , camp and hike and almost never see one. One coming into a urban area does sound as if it was not scared of humans or sick. Either way not a good situation.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
One coming into a urban area does sound as if it was not scared of humans or sick. Either way not a good situation.
Yotes are in plenty of major metro areas. In the southwest, it's common. But showing zero fear and being so close is a danger signal, to be sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to him about it a bit and they tried to.scare it away, even threw a 2x4 at it and it just stood there and wouldn't move...said it just growled. I'm afraid I would have shot it at that point also....no good reason a wild animal would not run if it was healthy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Coyotes are open season I believe year round in Arkansas, and removal of one inside a building would fall under nuisance animal removal which is also legal year round. If anybody heard/complained my story would be that it growled at me. Who is gonna say otherwise? As long as you dispatch them humanely and in a safe way, then coyotes be gone.
I've seen exactly two, in rural areas, minding their own business, which is all fine and dandy. If one showed up in town especially where humans were present, it would be just cause to shoot it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.