Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up! Am I the only one that just can't seem to make ankle carry work. I bought a Fobus elite ankle holster for my j frame today to carry mostly while sitting in my car or in a restaurant. By the time I strap the thing on and put the weapon in it I have this hunk sticking out over two inches grabbing my pants leg which anyone would see, and then begins to slide down to the top of my shoe. I tighten this thing up as much as I can But do not see how anyone carries anything much bigger than a derringer here. Help! am I the only one with this problem or is there a secret. Wearing it on the inside of my left leg.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep.. I have an ankle holster and it has the upper calf strap.. When walking brisk or walking easy I have no problem,.. I wouldn't want to run with it on, but then again I never have.. ??? Stays put and I don't notice it after the first fifteen minutes.. After 6-8 hours it starts to feel tight under the cuff of it..
I don't like Ankle carry for many reasons, but sometimes that is the only choice,... I'd rather have it on my ankle then no-where at all....

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
THE PROBLEM:

Fobus elite ankle holster
THE ANSWER:

Renegade Ankle Holster out of Phoenix, AZ or Galco Ankle Glove.

Renegade doesn't have a website, but if you Google them you will get their phone number. They are a small Mom and Pop business, but make one of the best ankle holsters in the business.

Galco is a good one too. I'm about to replace my Galco and go with a Renegade again, but the Galco has served me well for ten years of off/on Ankle Carry. It's finally worn out.

Biker

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been seriously looking at that Galco one and have been wondering if it is worth the monetary risk. It looks like exactly what I want...

Similarly, are there any good ones that hold well just under the knee instead of the ankle?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've never ankle carried. I can't keep my highwater overalls low enough to hide the gun...:rofl:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Maybe I should start a different thread, but I have been wondering if ankle carry would be an impediment, or dangerous, if one needed to resort to a martial -arts move in which a kick could make the gun go flying, or expose it for a grab; perhaps just that the rig would give an opponent something to grab hold of.

So, the question, do any of you think an ankle holster could get in the way of a non-lethal response, or perhaps make you more vulnerable while executing a kick.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
+1 BikerRN one the GALCO Ankel Glove My Brother used one going one 10 years+ ; )

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use the Galco ankle glove and it works just fine. My only issue is that my skin is somewhat sensitive so I wear a handkerchief (clean) underneath the spandex type part so that I don't get irritated. I never have a problem with my 357 moving.

Armydad

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Used an ankle holster for years, when on duty and always used a calf strap. Galco is one of the best...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I use a Bianchi Triad for my j frame and I'm very satisfied with this low cost investment. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use the Galco ankle glove and it works just fine. My only issue is that my skin is somewhat sensitive so I wear a handkerchief (clean) underneath the spandex type part so that I don't get irritated. I never have a problem with my 357 moving.

Armydad
357 sig pistol or 357 mag wheel gun?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Check your pants (no taper allowed), you need at least straight legs with some extra length. Get yourself an Ankle Glove (I've had no need for a calf strap) or a Renegade for a better fit and ride.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Get a Renegade and see the difference. Trust me you WILL like ankle carry after carrying a J-Frame in a Renegade rig. I can literally sprint with it for short distances. Call the good folks at Renegade (direct they have the best price I've found anyway). Get the Cozy Partner #500. It has an elastic pull-through strap that retains the gun very well but requires no unsnapping or thumb breaks to access the gun if needed.

Here you go, all you have to do is dial....

Renegade Holsters
3711 E Gelding Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85032-5233
(602) 482-6777

I think this one in the pic was around 10 years of nearly daily use...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I use a Bianchi Triad for my j frame and I'm very satisfied with this low cost investment. Good luck.
I have an older Bianchi I believe it's called the Ranger that the Triad is supposedly simular to. It works great. It doesnt have the seperate cuff for the thigh but it still holds my snub nose no problem.

It has a wide strap at the bottom that rest ot the point where your calf starts to widen to your ankle bone, and a second strap that goes around the gun just below the hammer. It also has a retention strap over the hammer.

With straight leg jeans or dockers it dosen't bulge out enough for anyone to notice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Another nod to the offerings from Alessi and Renegade. Regrettably, that answer will fade to just Renegade when the existing supply of Alessis runs out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts